Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2011, 01:02 AM
Familiar Face

Default Most highly recommended beach in Falmouth Jamaica

Fellow Cruisers, we will be on the Allure on 6/19/11 and would like to hear from anyone who can recommend the best beach to go to in Falmouth Jamaica. Thank you in advance to those who reply !
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

On the Oaisis 6/25/11 wondering the same thing...anyone recently there advise. Also how is the area right off the ship...anywhere to grab a red stripe inside the port area? The youtube videos of people returning to the port area looked a little crazy. Dose not seem like a whole lot of info out there on this new port that is too positive.
Carnival Miracle 07/06
Carnival Legend 08/07
Disney Magic 09/08
Liberty of the Seas 07/09
Disney Magic 05/10
Oasis of the Seas 06/11
Old April 22nd, 2011, 02:41 PM
Familiar Face

Default Falmouth Jamaica

Hey guy,
If you are a memeber of *edited for content* look at my post asking about beaches to go to in Falmouth that I posted late last night. To date I have had 5 replies suggesting that Falmouth is NOT a place to venture off the ship for many reasons. Check it out and maybe that will give you some suggestions.

Last edited by Trip; April 28th, 2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Not enough people have been there yet (it's a new stop) to give you an idea of the beaches.... however those that have been are complaining bitterly on CC...
Old April 27th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Familiar Face

No beach to my knowledge in Falmouth. You probably will have to go to Dunns River on ship excursion. I was just at Falmouth on Allure - no beach just dock and shopping area. Obviously the area is still in the process of being built, construction equipment was in evidence. This might be an excuse for not having signage to assist the cruiser to go from the gangway through a building entering a courtyard and then proceeding to the dock shopping area. Most people go on bus tours or hire taxis which are accessed by walking to fenced area at the end of the dock. If you are not going on a bus tour you will waste your time going to that area and will be sent back by the police to the non signed entrance in the building. The police are in strong evidence all over the dock area. Once you get beyond the fenced in dock area you can walk into old town Falmouth. Be aware it is a poor area. There are no sidewalks. The buses and cars have little enough space to get by which leaves little space for pedestrians. There is a shopping area for the natives - don't expect to find bargains - under the blue tents about a half mile from the port area - you can see this blue tent from the Allure. Warning don't take pictures in this area - natives don't like to have their pictures. The goods in the native market are primarily meant to meet the domestic needs of the citizens. I would say don't go into this area and stick with the ship excursions.
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Amiable.
Carnival Miracle 07/06
Carnival Legend 08/07
Disney Magic 09/08
Liberty of the Seas 07/09
Disney Magic 05/10
Oasis of the Seas 06/11
Old May 1st, 2011, 02:37 PM
Familiar Face

Hello everyone, anyone try the Breezes Starfish Resort & Spa excursion?It looks like it could be OK.

Lee
Old May 2nd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I have heard several people have taken taxi's to the Hilton Resort; all inclusive; u pay one price and it includes; water park, beach, chairs, and food.
http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...1&pSearch=true
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:54 PM
First Mate

How do you pay this one price without being a hotel guest? Is it something you pre-book through Hilton directly or through the cruise ship? Alternatively are you suggesting folks just took a cab to the hotel and someone at the check-in counter charged them a fee?
Old May 5th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Admiral

thru the hotel. I read a thread on another website and they said, they take a taxi, show up at hotel, tell them u are on a cruise, and pay the daily rate. The people who have done this rave about the hotel and all the services.

Go Reds
Old May 6th, 2011, 02:20 PM
First Mate

Just called the Hilton directly. It's $75 and you can buy the package at the pier itself. They are a 20 minute shuttle ride from the ship. It includes booze, food, towels, water park, transporation to/from hotel.
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Diamond Member thank you for checking this out. It will help a lot of people make a decision for this port.

Go Reds
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:46 PM
First Mate

No problem, sailing on oasis in three weeks and plan to check it out.
Old May 13th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Admiral

I'll also be on the June 19 Allure cruise. I was planning on just ambling around Falmouth but the Hilton package does look interesting.
Old May 13th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
I'll also be on the June 19 Allure cruise. I was planning on just ambling around Falmouth but the Hilton package does look interesting.
I was on the first RCI ship to dock at Falmouth. Unless things have changed a lot I'd recommend against 'ambling around'. I'm a pretty big guy, and I've wandered around many carribean ports o call, but I had no desire to venture too far from the dock side shops with my lovely wife in tow. Do the little $10 historic city tour tram and have the security of the group. I saw very few passengers just ambling off into town, and they were young and naieve. There is a taxi stand within the protected dock area and you can easily book transportation to where-ever you need to go, and even group up there for group runs to beaches in passenger vans...

Just my 2 cents worth...

Last edited by Trip; June 25th, 2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old May 16th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Well, I meant 'ambling' around the area at the piers and not the area outside.

After your visit there and the problems that the cruise passengers reportedly encountered with harassment, drug offers, prostitutes, etc., Jamaican authorities allegedly have cracked down. We'll see.
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Not trying to be a know it all. Just that having been there it is not yet like many of the other ports in the gulf, and want you and others to stay safe.

The dock area was perfectly fine, but far from complete. The little local tram tour (no advance booking was needed for us) seemed safe enough. It was eye opening trolleying down the streets seeing the stark poverty mixed with really old historic churches. The locals were dressed like homeless people, but when passing schools, all the school children came out to wave in their nice uniforms. I recall the only restaurant I saw in the local area had a wooden plaquard nailed by the door with about 4 choices of quisine scrawled on it. Definitely worth a look-see.

Be safe. Have fun. I'll be back there Dec 26-Jan 2 this year with the extended family on the Mariner, so I will see how much has changed from the inaugral visit.

Doug
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Admiral

I'm really not a fan of Jamaica. I first went there (Ocho Rios) in 1981 and it was a different place back then. We actually walked from Ocho to Dunn's River Falls and never once got hassled. I could walk all over Ocho at night and felt safe.

Last summer I went into the pier shopping area in Mo Bay, bought a Red Stripe and a couple of t-shirts and went back aboard the ship. That was enough.
Old October 9th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi all, First time post, first time cruise. Allure in Nov 2011. Getting excited.
I have a few questions and this thread looked like a good place to start
Did anyone ever go to the hilton rose hall for the day? How about transfers? or just a taxi? just called today with a few questions, very friendly and lots of answers. directed me to Jamicaforaday.com. Anyone use this? Thanks for now, I'm sure I'll come up with more.
Old October 9th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Welcome Michelle,
I will be on Allure of the Seas a week from today, will be packing this week....Make sure you go to the Royal Caribbean web-site and enter all your information, fill out the sea pass, etc. You should be able to view all the different ship excursions, to get an idea of what is available at each port. Depending on the port, it is sometimes a good idea to use the ship excursion, especially if there is a time frame. When booking through the cruiseline, they will usually wait on you if the tour is running late, if you do your own, you are on your own, so pick accordingly. There are many tours you can easily book on your own and be fine....

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 20th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Familiar Face

We are going in December and I have already made reservations to go to the Hilton but I used Resortforaday.com or Jamicaforaday.com to reserve. They provide the transportation there and back for $35 per person and then I think it is $45 when you get to the resort. (if you do want transportation, you do have to pay it using paypal etc.)
The first time we went to Jamacia, there was around 50 folks that ended up getting robbed... some took non government taxis and they would take them where they wanted but then demanded more money to take them back to the ship. Our taxi driver became our bodyguard when we went shopping.
Therefore we are just doing the resort for a day thing and relax.

Voyager of the Seas
Old October 21st, 2011, 02:06 AM
Admiral

I will be waiting for moe comments. We will be on the Oasis april 14th. cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 21st, 2011, 08:16 AM
Admiral

There will be those who say Jamaica is fine, these are either those who have been many times & are comfortable or those who are just naive & think it won't happen to them...but it often does! Do a trip or stay on the ship I would say. We went to Negril on our recent trip but that is WAY too far from Falmouth.
Old November 14th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Has anyone been to the Hilton Rose Hall day? How to transfer? Or just a taxi it? Is today called a few questions, ***Edited to remove commercial reference*** very friendly, a lot of answers. Directed me Jamicaforaday.com. Anyone use this?

Last edited by Donna; November 14th, 2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old November 19th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Captain

Going on the Allure in January and I will spend the port day of Falmouth sitting my butt on the ship. Let the crowds explore the port while I relax in the solitude of quiet pools, bars and restaurants...Nice...
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Brig,
We did that last month while on Allure when we were in St. Thomas....It was pure bliss, had a nice relaxing day at the pool..

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Familiar Face

Go to Montego Bay beaches- Doctor's Cave or Aquasol instead of the resort $5 admission and $25 taxi fair
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:03 AM
First Mate

I just came back from Falmouth and I hired a driver for the day. My driver actually took us to Negril for the day. There are no beaches in Falmouth per say but you have the hip strip and other beaches in Montego Bay that are very nice. If you're interested in the drivers information let me know, send me a PM and I will forward it to you. My driver was is a native Jamaican but spent time in the US and went to college here then went back.
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old June 20th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Familiar Face

While Negril has the best beaches on the island, to drive 4 hours round trip from a cruise ship in Falmouth is not a good idea. I recommended go to Montego Bay for the day. I can set it up for you just PM me for more info