Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Familiar Face

Default Explorer of the Seas

Hi All!

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with Explorer of the Seas?
I only find bad things about it, the ship is too old, food is bad, but the reviews were from 2010 and before on CM's website.

I found a great cruise with a great price and ports we like, but I'm kinda worried. I haven't booked anything yet....it's for March 2012. Just like to book ahead!

Thanks for any info !!
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I was on Explorer years ago and never had a complaint....If the cruise is in your budget and time frame, I see no reason to go ahead and book it...You've already said, you like the ports, etc...Food is always a touchy subject, some may rave about it, while others tend to complain. Just go with an open mind and have fun, you can make it a super time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 12th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I cruised Explorer in 04. The ship was excellent. I know things change; but the company continues to keep up the maintenance; they have the latest items in the cabins. I think the food on all Royal Caribbean ships is good.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old May 12th, 2011, 05:32 PM
First Mate

hi, the explorer was my first cruise back in 03. great ship. though it probably has aged a bit rccl takes good care of their ships. definitly book your cruise.
2007 carnival liberty
2005 carnival destiny
2004 rccl radiance of the seas
2003 rccl explorer of the seas
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Familiar Face

My girlfriend and I just got off the Explorer about a month or so ago; it's a great ship. I believe it's 10 or 11 years old, but you'd never know it other than all the features that the newer ships have.

We had a great time, crew was great, entertainment fun.

We'd go back in a second; but then again my girlfriend and I would go anywhere in a second as long as it's not work! Lol.
Old May 14th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Familiar Face

Default Explorer.....

Thanks for the info.....I'm pretty sure, I'm going to just go ahead and book it!!
Old August 13th, 2011, 01:08 PM
First Mate

We've cruised on the Explorer twice and loved her both times. Would happily do it again if the opportunity presented itself.

Enjoyed the food, entertainment and children's program. No complaints.

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:49 AM
First Mate

i've been aboard 10 times, about to be 11....it's a lovely ship with a great crew..here are some photos...i went for a visit a couple weeks ago...that's the 1st link....

https://picasaweb.google.com/1118077...orerAugust2011

and the second link is from Feb of 2010
https://picasaweb.google.com/1118077...SeasB2BFeb2010

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg
Old August 21st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Captain

I also enjoyed the Captain and crew in the Spring so will be back on her in December! Also, really hoping "RCI" continues some sort of "Diamond Celebration" for those of us who do cruise in December. "Crown & Anchor" has done it the last two years BUT that was before the new benefits came out.
Old August 21st, 2011, 12:40 PM
First Mate

apparently there will be a diamonds in december event as well..i think i got an email from RC about it, and there has been discussion over THERE on the other boards about it too

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Have two cruises planned for March 2012...March 9th and a family cruise on March 30. This will be our 6 and 7th time on the ship. We are from south Jersey and it is a short ride up the turnpike. The ship is a nice size with about 3,400 passenger..plenty to do and the food isn't great but above average. I think for a sjhip that is a little over 10 years old, it is in good shape...some people are just born to complain. If you got a good price I would go for it. Hope this helps
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:32 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cals granny View Post
Hi All!

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with Explorer of the Seas?
I only find bad things about it, the ship is too old, food is bad, but the reviews were from 2010 and before on CM's website.

I found a great cruise with a great price and ports we like, but I'm kinda worried. I haven't booked anything yet....it's for March 2012. Just like to book ahead!

Thanks for any info !!
We're going again in Feb 2012 (not my choice) on our 3rd with Explorer and I am hoping last. The first was incredible - great weather, nice time and truly incredible staff. This last one this past Feb was the exact opposite. Boring entertainment, lousy food AND small portions, severe safety issues in cabin which took most of the cruise to rectify and most of all, uncaring, discourteous, in some cases lazy and in others downright rude staff. If that wasn't enough there were the RCI condoned ripoffs in port (especially Labadee). Oh and how can I forget being accused of lying after reporting a theft because the Guest Relations staff refused to write it up as a theft and contact security for 24 hours and they couldn't see the item in question on my person in the surveillance videos (next time I'll be sure my bag is not black like my clothing so you can see it on your grainy low resolution video tapes - so sorry guys for being inconsiderate). The ship is old and tired and looking it. There is nothing I could recommend about this cruise to anyone and as stated above didn't want to book a third but was overruled by DH and DD because they like the ability to drive to Bayonne, so I'm keeping my expectations low, my fingers crossed and hoping for the best. Now that Celebrity (I know-same company) is going from there as well will likely try that instead next time.

Last edited by chickmedic; November 2nd, 2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Obviously, no matter what ship you choose, you're going to find either praise or complaints. We loved the Explorer of the Seas. The promenade alone is something to see. Just don't make the same mistake we did and book your cruise during Spring Break (unless that's the only time you can go). There were so many kids on there, I thought we were on a Disney cruise! Whew! Won't do that again! But we wouldn't hesitate to cruise on that ship (or its' sister ship, Adventurer of the Seas) again. JMHO.

Cruises

upcoming cruise: Carnival Liberty May 2012

CARNIVAL SENSATION FEB. 2008
CARNIVAL DESTINY FEB. 2007
RCCL EXPLORER OF THE SEAS MARCH 2002
RCCL MAJESTY OF THE SEAS DEC. 2000
CARNIVAL IMAGINATION SEPT. 1999
RCCL ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS FEB. 1999
RCCL GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS FEB. 1997
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Familiar Face

I love the Voyager class ships and my first three RCI cruises were on Explorer, the last one was at the end of 2009. I loved each and every one. Every ship has some "problem" employees, just like businesses on land. The majority of the unpleasantness I've experienced on Explorer was from other passengers who had a sense of entitlement that far exceeded whatever they loyalty level was. The key is to not let any individual ruin your hard-earned vacation. Explorer is large enough that you won't have to deal with the same crew member (or passenger) twice if there has been unpleasantness. If the problem is with maintenance then Guest Relations should help. If not, drop a brief, polite note to the Hotel Director specifying what the problem is. The Hotel Directors on Explorer are very responsive. The dates, price and itinerary work for you, I say go for it! I truly believe you will have a wonderful time.
Old November 14th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I am Loyal to Royal, I have been on the Explorer 3 times. I enjoyed every cruise and found the food to be wonderful, the staff very good. The last time we sailed on her was this past March, she does need a little cosmetic TLC, but she was clean as usual.
Old November 14th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Yes, there is a Diamond event for the month of December.