CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Drydock: A Cruise Ship Reborn (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/382511-drydock-cruise-ship-reborn.html)

blueliner May 16th, 2011 04:31 PM

Drydock: A Cruise Ship Reborn

The cable channel "Planet Green" is running the mini-series "Drydock: A Cruise Ship Reborn" quite a few times this month. If you haven't seen this series, it's a good behind the scenes look at a cruise ship and the the Cruise line. This series was from quite a few years ago when RCI was refurbishing the Sovereign OTS. Of course, just a short couple of years later, RCCL transfered the ship from RCI to one of RCCL's European lines.

I'm not positive, but I think the narrator is Mike Rowe, the guy who does the current Ford commercials and is the star of the show "Dirty Jobs" and also narrates "Deadliest Catch".

Trip May 16th, 2011 04:36 PM

I saw it the first time around,and found it interesting. I like getting a peek into behind the scene, cruise situations. A couple of years ago, there was a show on: what goes on behind Easy Cruises..not my cup of tea to sail on, but, still interesting.

Would love to see more back stage cruise shows.

AF1 May 16th, 2011 05:12 PM

on my Allure of the Seas cruise; the in-room tv played the Sovereign show every few hours. They also played the building of Oasis and Allure.

blueliner May 16th, 2011 06:41 PM

I remember the behind the scenes show about "Easy Cruise".

I get a kick out the scenes in the Drydock series when the workers are working underneath the ship have to wear hard hats......because you know if the 73,000 ton ship were to fall off the big wooden blocks in the drydock, the hard hats would certainly save them! :razz::razz::razz:

Funnel May 17th, 2011 05:00 AM

Always interesting to see. I remember a program about when they added a new diesel engine to Radiance of the Seas. The engine was so big, they needed to remove a part of the hull to squeeze it in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueliner (Post 1371321)
I remember the behind the scenes show about "Easy Cruise".

I get a kick out the scenes in the Drydock series when the workers are working underneath the ship have to wear hard hats......because you know if the 73,000 ton ship were to fall off the big wooden blocks in the drydock, the hard hats would certainly save them! :razz::razz::razz:

You know, they could use a couple of these helmets instead of all the wooden blocks... ;)

I think they need their helmets 'cause there is a big risk you will be hit if someone working above you will drop their tool and you can hit your head in the hull or in the scaffolding etc.
It is also handy when it's raining and for protection against bird droppings... :D

/Erik

cruised1014 May 22nd, 2011 03:31 PM

Dry Dock - Not Dry Enough

Today's dry dock is not what it used to be. They used to Dry Dock these ships for much longer than a week. The cruiseline do not want to lose the millions of dollars in lost revenue. Also I had heard after Destiny was in dry dock the week it went back in service many areas and one pool was closed.
The work went on all week during the cruise with hammering and loud saws and power tools. As last I heard many people complained and wanted some compinsation but none were offered. I will never go on any ship the first week it's back in service from dry dock. Ed

Donna May 22nd, 2011 07:17 PM

These shows are the greatest, so much information that you would never learn, even while on a cruise..

I used to enjoy the tour of the bridge, that they used to offer years ago, what a view from up there, amazing! Although, I think those are from days past, was nice while it lasted...

Lately there has been a video of "Grand" priness having the handle removed from it, also very interesting.

Dhill May 22nd, 2011 08:30 PM

I watched a show on TLc last week about the QueenMary || They showed the inner workings of the ship and the bridge it was very intrresting.:D