Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Default Drydock: A Cruise Ship Reborn

The cable channel "Planet Green" is running the mini-series "Drydock: A Cruise Ship Reborn" quite a few times this month. If you haven't seen this series, it's a good behind the scenes look at a cruise ship and the the Cruise line. This series was from quite a few years ago when RCI was refurbishing the Sovereign OTS. Of course, just a short couple of years later, RCCL transfered the ship from RCI to one of RCCL's European lines.

I'm not positive, but I think the narrator is Mike Rowe, the guy who does the current Ford commercials and is the star of the show "Dirty Jobs" and also narrates "Deadliest Catch".

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I saw it the first time around,and found it interesting. I like getting a peek into behind the scene, cruise situations. A couple of years ago, there was a show on: what goes on behind Easy Cruises..not my cup of tea to sail on, but, still interesting.

Would love to see more back stage cruise shows.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; May 16th, 2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

on my Allure of the Seas cruise; the in-room tv played the Sovereign show every few hours. They also played the building of Oasis and Allure.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Admiral

I remember the behind the scenes show about "Easy Cruise".

I get a kick out the scenes in the Drydock series when the workers are working underneath the ship have to wear hard hats......because you know if the 73,000 ton ship were to fall off the big wooden blocks in the drydock, the hard hats would certainly save them! :razz::razz::razz:

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Familiar Face

Always interesting to see. I remember a program about when they added a new diesel engine to Radiance of the Seas. The engine was so big, they needed to remove a part of the hull to squeeze it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner View Post
I remember the behind the scenes show about "Easy Cruise".

I get a kick out the scenes in the Drydock series when the workers are working underneath the ship have to wear hard hats......because you know if the 73,000 ton ship were to fall off the big wooden blocks in the drydock, the hard hats would certainly save them! :razz::razz::razz:
You know, they could use a couple of these helmets instead of all the wooden blocks...

I think they need their helmets 'cause there is a big risk you will be hit if someone working above you will drop their tool and you can hit your head in the hull or in the scaffolding etc.
It is also handy when it's raining and for protection against bird droppings...

/Erik
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dry Dock - Not Dry Enough

Today's dry dock is not what it used to be. They used to Dry Dock these ships for much longer than a week. The cruiseline do not want to lose the millions of dollars in lost revenue. Also I had heard after Destiny was in dry dock the week it went back in service many areas and one pool was closed.
The work went on all week during the cruise with hammering and loud saws and power tools. As last I heard many people complained and wanted some compinsation but none were offered. I will never go on any ship the first week it's back in service from dry dock. Ed
Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

These shows are the greatest, so much information that you would never learn, even while on a cruise..

I used to enjoy the tour of the bridge, that they used to offer years ago, what a view from up there, amazing! Although, I think those are from days past, was nice while it lasted...

Lately there has been a video of "Grand" priness having the handle removed from it, also very interesting.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
Captain

Smile

I watched a show on TLc last week about the QueenMary || They showed the inner workings of the ship and the bridge it was very intrresting.