Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2011, 04:47 PM
First Mate

Default Docking in Key West Question :)

Hi everyone,

We are FINALLY going to Key West on a cruise next February, it's the port we missed on our first cruise in 2004 and I am VERY excited to be going.

My question is...which side of the ship should our cabin be on in order to face into Key West, I really don't want to have a cabin facing out into the open water, I want to be able to look at things from our balcony

I asked the RCL rep at the time we booked and he told me the left or port side of the ship is the side we wanted to book on, but when I was on kroooz-cams it showed a Carnival ship in port and the port side of the ship was facing out into the ocean and I have waited a LONG time to dock in Key West and sure don't want to be disappointed! So I thought instead of calling back to RCL.......why not ask the very SMART cruisers on Cruisemates........soooooooo here it is.......my question

Thanks everyone!
Gail
Comet Cruiser

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Admiral

From what I have seen, ships can dock on the Portside or Starboard. I believe that it depends on the pier that is available.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old June 8th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Admiral

We were there for a couple of nights last month. One day two ships where in port. Starboard side would have been facing the town and Port was facing the Water. As sunsets are so famous in Key west I would have thought the Port side to be more popular.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 8th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have heard that it depends on what pier you get, may-be who gets there first?? Kind of makes sense, but I would listen to Royal Caribbean and go by that at this point and hope for the best. Hopefully, you will be getting off the ship anyway to see the town and do an excursion. How long are you in port in Key WEst?

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 8th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Admiral

We were tendered ashore, or rather my wife was..I was ill!
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Could be a toss up, as to where you dock. Many ships dock at Mallory Sq. and Truman Annex. Some ships though, will dock at the old US Naval Base, now closed, on the ouskirts of town. If that's the case, you will be shuttled into town.

Eat key lime pie, could be on a stick dipped in chocolate. Conch fritters too. Don't make a face..they are yummy!! Visit Fastbuck Freddys,and Mel Fishers Gold Museum,send me a gold bar..I will repay you! xo

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 8th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Admiral

For the life of me, I can't remember where we docked on my one time visit to Key West.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:07 PM
First Mate

Thanks for all of your responses

Donna.....We are in Key West from 7-3 (not nearly as long as I would like) but better than not being there at all! We haven't looked at excursions yet but for SURE we will be getting off the ship to look around!!

Trip.....Hey there Facebook friend .....sooooo a gold bar huh??? I'll see what I can do for you......now back to reality.....the key lime pie is a MUST for SURE!! Not too sure about those conch fritters though...

Any suggestions as to what to do and what NOT to miss would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again everyone, now if I could only get my countdown clock to NOT say "sailed" on the Enchantment, at least I'm half way done the clock

Gail
Comet Cruiser

Old June 8th, 2011, 11:12 PM
First Mate

Whew!! Got the countdown clock now ......

One last thing......Trip.......what is Fastbuck Freddy's???

Thanks again!

Gail
Comet Cruiser

Old June 10th, 2011, 11:10 PM
First Mate

Ok.......I've done some checking and the day we are in Key West we are the ONLY ship there. It also says (B) after Enchantment's name so I am assuming by that then that we will be docking at pier "B"???

It shows 3 different piers to dock at in Key West.....Pier B(which is privately owned), Mallory Square, and the Navy Mole.

So I don't know if that helps any of you experienced cruisers to Key West or not, but hopefully it will

Yep....I know....I'm really determined to face INTO Key West while we're docked...I've waited a long time to go there!

Thanks again!
Comet Cruiser
Gail

Old June 10th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Have a blast! we were there for two nights pre-cruise and loved it!

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 11th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

On the several cruises we've been at Key West, the ship has always docked starboard side to dock. Generally, the ships leave in late afternoon before sunset. Our last trip on the Ryndam in March, we were at the Mallory Dock pier which was great. Look for the fellow sitting on the milk crate with the palm fronds. He's a riot!
Old June 12th, 2011, 01:01 AM
First Mate

Default Carnival Imagination, docked at the Navy base

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Are you sailing on Majesty of the Seas? If so,she always gets the Mallory Square dock, just walk off and you are in the center of everything. She docks starboard side facing the town. I have photos of her docked there, I will try later to put them on here...
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cruise.co.uk

Here she is....
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Well actually that's Pier B in the photo. Mallory Square is owned by the City of Key West and Pier B is privately owned. 'B' It is the best of the cruise piers in Key West IMHO.

Starboard side generally would be correct to face the town.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:29 PM
First Mate

Hi again,

Queen of Diamonds.....We are going on Enchantment of the Seas, not the Majesty. I found some info and it shows us docking at Pier "B"...and if that is the pier in your picture you posted, it looks fantastic

Snoozeman.......so that is what Pier "B" looks like? NICE!!! And I should be calling RCL to change our cabin from the port side to the starboard side?? I just want the very best view from our balcony while we are in port so I can take some amazing pics....I LOVE taking pictures from our balcony .
We will of course also go wander around Key West too.

Hawkeye FLA.......Docking at the Navy pier doesn't look very inviting at all
Thanks for your input!
Gail
Comet Cruiser

Old June 14th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Admiral

No, I did not care for the Navy pier, you had to get on a bus into town, then get the bus back to the pier....Not much to see there either.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
No, I did not care for the Navy pier, you had to get on a bus into town, then get the bus back to the pier....Not much to see there either.
When I was there in November, they were using the Conch Train to bring people from the dock into the Mallory/Duval Street area. It took us through Truman Annex, and we got a brief tour from our train driver. So that part at least was kind of neat. I got tons of pictures as we were leaving KW. I probably should upload them.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We were taken on shuttle trams, although not the Conch Train, through the Truman annex, on a couple of occasions, I do remember the driver telling us to be very quiet, as to not bother the people living there..I wonder just how much the homeowners like this arrangement.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 16th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet Cruiser View Post
Hi again,

Queen of Diamonds.....We are going on Enchantment of the Seas, not the Majesty. I found some info and it shows us docking at Pier "B"...and if that is the pier in your picture you posted, it looks fantastic

Snoozeman.......so that is what Pier "B" looks like? NICE!!! And I should be calling RCL to change our cabin from the port side to the starboard side?? I just want the very best view from our balcony while we are in port so I can take some amazing pics....I LOVE taking pictures from our balcony .
We will of course also go wander around Key West too.

Hawkeye FLA.......Docking at the Navy pier doesn't look very inviting at all
Thanks for your input!
Gail
Comet Cruiser
Oops, my mistake. We docked there on Enchantment too.
That pier is ideal, you walk off the ship,up a pier,past a row of shops and you are smack dab in Key West. If you look at a street map of KW you will see the Customs House on the L of the dock, you can walk the main sts from there or catch the Conch Train, we did that the first time we visited, it is a really interesting narrated tour of the old town, and you will quickly get your bearings, be able to stop for a couple of photo opportunities.
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:08 PM
First Mate

Well folks.......as you can see by my "newest" countdown clocks, we have changed our cruising plans.......but we also added another one.

No Key West this time....but I don't think it is going anywhere and we WILL get there eventually, even if we have to drive all the way from Ontario!

Thanks to everyone for their input and help....I really appreciate it...going back to the Explorer in 2012 is a good thing.....LOVE that ship!

It will be different this coming September to be going on Carnival...kinda nervous about straying from our beloved RCL...but we'll be back in 2012

Anyone have any helpful hints about Carnival...or should I perhaps be posting that question on the Carnival board.......???

Take care all and thanks again for all your help

Gail
Comet Cruiser