CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Freedom of the Seas crusie in August (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/383220-freedom-seas-crusie-august.html)

MJC82011 June 20th, 2011 12:50 AM

Freedom of the Seas crusie in August

My wife and I are going on the Freedom of the Seas ship sailing the Western Carribean. Both of us have never been on a cruise. How should we prepare for us to have the most comfortable and enjoyable time on the ship? Also, we booked a superior stateroom with balcony. How nice are the rooms?

ladycruise June 20th, 2011 05:51 AM

CruiseMates have a review on the cabins here. Looks to me like it depends on the cabin you opt for with some being quite small. They look nice to me - after looking at an image search

PeterC June 20th, 2011 09:39 PM

I have a friend who's a figure skater on this ship so after the cruise can you post some photos of the show?

MJC82011 June 21st, 2011 09:36 AM

Absolutely PeterC. I am very excited about the trip. Is it hard to get tickets for the ice show?

Queen of Oakville June 21st, 2011 10:45 AM

Which sailing are you on? We're on August 28th ... but I can't remember if we're Eastern or Western (itinerary, is obviously not why we book!).

There are tons of posts here on first time cruising (in fact, tI think there may be a board dedicated to that!). Feel free to post any questions.

PeterC June 21st, 2011 01:01 PM

I'm not sure how hard it is to get into the shows. I've actually never sailed one of these ships

MJC82011 June 21st, 2011 07:59 PM

We are sailing on August 21st. I believe we are doing the Western Carribean cruise. It stops at Labaddee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I am planning to book the Tulum express tour through Royal Carribean. Does anyone recommend using a outside company?

SunEBeach July 22nd, 2011 06:58 PM

We are booked in November, but last fall were on the Radiance and were not disappointed at all with the rooms. Now that we've staying in a balcony room it would be hard to go back to a regular room...
Welcome to the world of cruising, a truly fabulous way to vacation if you ask me.
Check out cruiselinerooms.com to see if there are any pics of your specific room posted.

AF1 July 25th, 2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJC82011 (Post 1377431)
Absolutely PeterC. I am very excited about the trip. Is it hard to get tickets for the ice show?

Welcome to the cruise world. It is not difficult to book the ice show. Once you get onboard, they will announce when u can go to studio B, (which is the ice rink), and get tickets. The seating for the ice show is a lot smaller than the main theater; but, they will have two shows during your week of sailing, and believe me, u will get into one of the show; so do not worry.

AF1 July 25th, 2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJC82011 (Post 1377199)
My wife and I are going on the Freedom of the Seas ship sailing the Western Carribean. Both of us have never been on a cruise. How should we prepare for us to have the most comfortable and enjoyable time on the ship? Also, we booked a superior stateroom with balcony. How nice are the rooms?

You picked a great ship to sail on. I will be on Freedom in Dec. Anyway, you will board the ship and head for the Royal Promenade; this is where all the action is; Guest Services is loacated here(if u have any questions), also u will find some of the bars and resturaunts open for lunch. Once u check in and board the ship; your seapass will do everything; it opens your cabin door, u charge all your drinks and souviners, and u will show your seapass when u get on and off the ship. Your seapass will have your cabin numbers, your table #for dining, and also your dining time. Depending on what time u board; if u want lunch, you can go to Deck 11, and the Windjammer Cafe, or u can go on Deck 5 the Promendade that I mentioned earlier. Once u go to your cabin (cabins will be open at 1pm), there will be a cruise compass(ships news letter of all activities onboard), suggest u sit down and read it, so u can find out what will be going on all over the ship. If u get lost, there are touch navigation screens on every deck by the elevators. The navigation screens tell you where u are, and how to get to your cabin or to another venue on the ship. If u have anymore questions, just ask.
Cheers

MJC82011 July 27th, 2011 09:50 AM

Thank you for the advice. We are so excited for our cruise! We are transfering from Disney World to Port Canaveral and I am using florida town car for our transfer. I got a great rate for four people for that. I was wondering how early can you check in on the ship? I was reading online that you can check in well before the cruise departs to take advantage of the ship activities. When would you recommend to start boarding?

Queen of Diamonds July 27th, 2011 11:16 AM

The check in desks open at 11am and we are usually there soon after and in the Windjammer restaurant as it opens at 11.30am.
Be sure to have all your documents done on line and you will only be at the check in desk long enough to sign forms then you'll be on your way.
Fabulous ship! Don't miss the parade down the Promenade late on the first night, or the Ice shows. :D
You will not have access to your room until at least 1pm, and your suitcases can take several hours to arrive so be sure to have a bag with any items you might need that first dayp-swimsuits, toiletries etc.

MJC82011 July 29th, 2011 10:57 AM

Thank you for answering my question. Do you know if it is better to book my excursion in Jamaica for the zipline and Dunn's River Fall tour directly through Chukka tours or will it not make a difference if I book through Royal Carribean?

AF1 July 31st, 2011 12:47 PM

Since you are new to cruising and this board, this is what I recommend; others will chime in with their comments. When u book a shore excursion thru Royal Caribbean, u can do it online before you sail, or onboard at the shore excursion desk. some of the popular shore excursions will fill up fast. If u use royal's shore excursion, and something goes wrong, van or bus breaks down, u can't get back to the ship before it is supposed to depart; Royal and the ship will wait for you. If u book or go on shore excursion by your self or another tour operator, and something goes wrong, the ship will not wait for you. There are cheaper ways to book shore excursions, meaning Royal may be a little more money; but since your new to this type of cruising, u will be more at ease by booking directly thru the ships shore excursion desk or online before u depart. The ride from Disney World to the Port will be around 90 minutes. So if you have the limo pick u up around 9:30-10:00, u will arrive at the check in when it opens and get a chance to explore the ship and have lunch prior to the sailing. If u want to wait to explore the ship u can arrive a little later. You will not be able to get into your cabin prior to 1pm.

Queen of Diamonds July 31st, 2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJC82011 (Post 1383967)
Thank you for answering my question. Do you know if it is better to book my excursion in Jamaica for the zipline and Dunn's River Fall tour directly through Chukka tours or will it not make a difference if I book through Royal Carribean?

Which port do you go to in Jamaica?
We went to Ocho Rios and booked a tour via the ship for Dunn's River Falls.
If you are a first time cruiser it might be easier for you to do the same- as AF1 said, you then have the guarantee that if anything delays your getting back to the ship, they will wait for you. If you are out by yourself they will not.
Ship's excursions invariably cost more but you do have that peace of mind.

MJC82011 August 1st, 2011 01:09 AM

Thanks AF1 and Queen of Diamond. I think I will just book through Royal Carribean and not have to worry about anything going wrong. I already booked our excursion in Cozumel through Royal Carribean and it was very smooth. Also, which was great, I booked our showtimes and specialty dinners too. We are looking forward to this. Only 21 days left!

AF1 August 3rd, 2011 02:12 PM

let us know how you enjoyed your cruise; give us a mini review when u get back.

MJC82011 August 4th, 2011 09:50 AM

Absolutely. I will also post some pics with that.

MJC82011 August 30th, 2011 11:08 AM

Just got back from the Carribean on Freedom of the Seas. I am trying to post some pics of our trip but having a little technical difficulties. I will get them up soon. I just wanted to say that this was an awesome experience! I love cruising and will do it again. We head a superior balcony room which was great. I especially liked the food on board. I had the mind set that the food was just going to be average like the food at Sandals. I was wrong. From the service from our waiter Larry to the flavors were great. My wife has a gluten allergy and they accomodated to her needs. In fact, we got to see the menu the night before so they can prepare her meals ahead of time with special desserts made just for her. Chops was good comparing it to other Chop houses in the country. It's not a Flemmings or Shula's but considering it to be on a ship, I did like it. Sorrento's was amazing. I loved the pizza and tapas they served there. After excursions on land, we always headed over to Sorrentos for a snack. I could never stop myself of getting at least 6 to 8 slices (what a pig I am!!!). I thought it was perfect to book my showtimes ahead of time. It made it easier and comforting to know that I had a seat if and when I wanted to go. The magician on board was very entertaining. In short, we will be eagerly ready to book our next cruise through the mediterranean on Liberty of the Seas!

MJC82011 August 30th, 2011 11:09 AM

We are back from Freedom of the Seas.

Just got back from the Carribean on Freedom of the Seas. I am trying to post some pics of our trip but having a little technical difficulties. I will get them up soon. I just wanted to say that this was an awesome experience! I love cruising and will do it again. We head a superior balcony room which was great. I especially liked the food on board. I had the mind set that the food was just going to be average like the food at Sandals. I was wrong. From the service from our waiter Larry to the flavors were great. My wife has a gluten allergy and they accomodated to her needs. In fact, we got to see the menu the night before so they can prepare her meals ahead of time with special desserts made just for her. Chops was good comparing it to other Chop houses in the country. It's not a Flemmings or Shula's but considering it to be on a ship, I did like it. Sorrento's was amazing. I loved the pizza and tapas they served there. After excursions on land, we always headed over to Sorrentos for a snack. I could never stop myself of getting at least 6 to 8 slices (what a pig I am!!!). I thought it was perfect to book my showtimes ahead of time. It made it easier and comforting to know that I had a seat if and when I wanted to go. The magician on board was very entertaining. In short, we will be eagerly ready to book our next cruise through the mediterranean on Liberty of the Seas!

blueliner August 30th, 2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJC82011 (Post 1389992)

Great to hear you had an awesome cruise! Obviously you now have the powerful "cruise addicted-itis" bug. Be aware, there is no known cure! All you can do is to keep cruising and feed the addiction. :D

PeterC September 4th, 2011 05:26 PM

Looking forward to those photos

AF1 September 7th, 2011 04:12 PM

MJC82011, great that you had a wonderful time. A great ship; great crew; good time onboard. Glad u had fun.

golfduffer October 19th, 2011 09:31 AM

hi all - new to this forum!

we are on Freedom this winter and debating the private tours vs Royal Caribbean tours. Have decided on a little of both depending on the port and opportunities offered.

However....cant decide which zipline to do: labadee or canopy tour with Dunns river falls. any insights from you recent travelers??

also, did any of you parasail? my kids want to do that too and wonder if we can do both the zipline and parasail in labadee without too much stress on time.

thanks for your insights!