Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Familiar Face

Default Freedom of the Seas crusie in August

My wife and I are going on the Freedom of the Seas ship sailing the Western Carribean. Both of us have never been on a cruise. How should we prepare for us to have the most comfortable and enjoyable time on the ship? Also, we booked a superior stateroom with balcony. How nice are the rooms?
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Welcome Newcomer

CruiseMates have a review on the cabins here. Looks to me like it depends on the cabin you opt for with some being quite small. They look nice to me - after looking at an image search
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Captain

I have a friend who's a figure skater on this ship so after the cruise can you post some photos of the show?
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM
Familiar Face

Absolutely PeterC. I am very excited about the trip. Is it hard to get tickets for the ice show?
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Which sailing are you on? We're on August 28th ... but I can't remember if we're Eastern or Western (itinerary, is obviously not why we book!).

There are tons of posts here on first time cruising (in fact, tI think there may be a board dedicated to that!). Feel free to post any questions.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:01 PM
Captain

I'm not sure how hard it is to get into the shows. I've actually never sailed one of these ships
Old June 21st, 2011, 07:59 PM
Familiar Face

We are sailing on August 21st. I believe we are doing the Western Carribean cruise. It stops at Labaddee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I am planning to book the Tulum express tour through Royal Carribean. Does anyone recommend using a outside company?
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:58 PM
Familiar Face

We are booked in November, but last fall were on the Radiance and were not disappointed at all with the rooms. Now that we've staying in a balcony room it would be hard to go back to a regular room...
Welcome to the world of cruising, a truly fabulous way to vacation if you ask me.
Check out cruiselinerooms.com to see if there are any pics of your specific room posted.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC82011 View Post
Absolutely PeterC. I am very excited about the trip. Is it hard to get tickets for the ice show?
Welcome to the cruise world. It is not difficult to book the ice show. Once you get onboard, they will announce when u can go to studio B, (which is the ice rink), and get tickets. The seating for the ice show is a lot smaller than the main theater; but, they will have two shows during your week of sailing, and believe me, u will get into one of the show; so do not worry.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
My wife and I are going on the Freedom of the Seas ship sailing the Western Carribean. Both of us have never been on a cruise. How should we prepare for us to have the most comfortable and enjoyable time on the ship? Also, we booked a superior stateroom with balcony. How nice are the rooms?
You picked a great ship to sail on. I will be on Freedom in Dec. Anyway, you will board the ship and head for the Royal Promenade; this is where all the action is; Guest Services is loacated here(if u have any questions), also u will find some of the bars and resturaunts open for lunch. Once u check in and board the ship; your seapass will do everything; it opens your cabin door, u charge all your drinks and souviners, and u will show your seapass when u get on and off the ship. Your seapass will have your cabin numbers, your table #for dining, and also your dining time. Depending on what time u board; if u want lunch, you can go to Deck 11, and the Windjammer Cafe, or u can go on Deck 5 the Promendade that I mentioned earlier. Once u go to your cabin (cabins will be open at 1pm), there will be a cruise compass(ships news letter of all activities onboard), suggest u sit down and read it, so u can find out what will be going on all over the ship. If u get lost, there are touch navigation screens on every deck by the elevators. The navigation screens tell you where u are, and how to get to your cabin or to another venue on the ship. If u have anymore questions, just ask.
Cheers

Go Reds
Old July 27th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Familiar Face

Thank you for the advice. We are so excited for our cruise! We are transfering from Disney World to Port Canaveral and I am using florida town car for our transfer. I got a great rate for four people for that. I was wondering how early can you check in on the ship? I was reading online that you can check in well before the cruise departs to take advantage of the ship activities. When would you recommend to start boarding?
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

The check in desks open at 11am and we are usually there soon after and in the Windjammer restaurant as it opens at 11.30am.
Be sure to have all your documents done on line and you will only be at the check in desk long enough to sign forms then you'll be on your way.
Fabulous ship! Don't miss the parade down the Promenade late on the first night, or the Ice shows.
You will not have access to your room until at least 1pm, and your suitcases can take several hours to arrive so be sure to have a bag with any items you might need that first dayp-swimsuits, toiletries etc.
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Familiar Face

Thank you for answering my question. Do you know if it is better to book my excursion in Jamaica for the zipline and Dunn's River Fall tour directly through Chukka tours or will it not make a difference if I book through Royal Carribean?
Old July 31st, 2011, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Since you are new to cruising and this board, this is what I recommend; others will chime in with their comments. When u book a shore excursion thru Royal Caribbean, u can do it online before you sail, or onboard at the shore excursion desk. some of the popular shore excursions will fill up fast. If u use royal's shore excursion, and something goes wrong, van or bus breaks down, u can't get back to the ship before it is supposed to depart; Royal and the ship will wait for you. If u book or go on shore excursion by your self or another tour operator, and something goes wrong, the ship will not wait for you. There are cheaper ways to book shore excursions, meaning Royal may be a little more money; but since your new to this type of cruising, u will be more at ease by booking directly thru the ships shore excursion desk or online before u depart. The ride from Disney World to the Port will be around 90 minutes. So if you have the limo pick u up around 9:30-10:00, u will arrive at the check in when it opens and get a chance to explore the ship and have lunch prior to the sailing. If u want to wait to explore the ship u can arrive a little later. You will not be able to get into your cabin prior to 1pm.

Go Reds
Old July 31st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Thank you for answering my question. Do you know if it is better to book my excursion in Jamaica for the zipline and Dunn's River Fall tour directly through Chukka tours or will it not make a difference if I book through Royal Carribean?
Which port do you go to in Jamaica?
We went to Ocho Rios and booked a tour via the ship for Dunn's River Falls.
If you are a first time cruiser it might be easier for you to do the same- as AF1 said, you then have the guarantee that if anything delays your getting back to the ship, they will wait for you. If you are out by yourself they will not.
Ship's excursions invariably cost more but you do have that peace of mind.
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:09 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks AF1 and Queen of Diamond. I think I will just book through Royal Carribean and not have to worry about anything going wrong. I already booked our excursion in Cozumel through Royal Carribean and it was very smooth. Also, which was great, I booked our showtimes and specialty dinners too. We are looking forward to this. Only 21 days left!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Admiral

let us know how you enjoyed your cruise; give us a mini review when u get back.

Go Reds
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Familiar Face

Absolutely. I will also post some pics with that.
Old August 30th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Familiar Face

Just got back from the Carribean on Freedom of the Seas. I am trying to post some pics of our trip but having a little technical difficulties. I will get them up soon. I just wanted to say that this was an awesome experience! I love cruising and will do it again. We head a superior balcony room which was great. I especially liked the food on board. I had the mind set that the food was just going to be average like the food at Sandals. I was wrong. From the service from our waiter Larry to the flavors were great. My wife has a gluten allergy and they accomodated to her needs. In fact, we got to see the menu the night before so they can prepare her meals ahead of time with special desserts made just for her. Chops was good comparing it to other Chop houses in the country. It's not a Flemmings or Shula's but considering it to be on a ship, I did like it. Sorrento's was amazing. I loved the pizza and tapas they served there. After excursions on land, we always headed over to Sorrentos for a snack. I could never stop myself of getting at least 6 to 8 slices (what a pig I am!!!). I thought it was perfect to book my showtimes ahead of time. It made it easier and comforting to know that I had a seat if and when I wanted to go. The magician on board was very entertaining. In short, we will be eagerly ready to book our next cruise through the mediterranean on Liberty of the Seas!
Old August 30th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Familiar Face

Default We are back from Freedom of the Seas.

Just got back from the Carribean on Freedom of the Seas. I am trying to post some pics of our trip but having a little technical difficulties. I will get them up soon. I just wanted to say that this was an awesome experience! I love cruising and will do it again. We head a superior balcony room which was great. I especially liked the food on board. I had the mind set that the food was just going to be average like the food at Sandals. I was wrong. From the service from our waiter Larry to the flavors were great. My wife has a gluten allergy and they accomodated to her needs. In fact, we got to see the menu the night before so they can prepare her meals ahead of time with special desserts made just for her. Chops was good comparing it to other Chop houses in the country. It's not a Flemmings or Shula's but considering it to be on a ship, I did like it. Sorrento's was amazing. I loved the pizza and tapas they served there. After excursions on land, we always headed over to Sorrentos for a snack. I could never stop myself of getting at least 6 to 8 slices (what a pig I am!!!). I thought it was perfect to book my showtimes ahead of time. It made it easier and comforting to know that I had a seat if and when I wanted to go. The magician on board was very entertaining. In short, we will be eagerly ready to book our next cruise through the mediterranean on Liberty of the Seas!
Old August 30th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Great to hear you had an awesome cruise! Obviously you now have the powerful "cruise addicted-itis" bug. Be aware, there is no known cure! All you can do is to keep cruising and feed the addiction.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 4th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Captain

Looking forward to those photos
Old September 7th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Admiral

MJC82011, great that you had a wonderful time. A great ship; great crew; good time onboard. Glad u had fun.

Go Reds
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Welcome Newcomer

hi all - new to this forum!

we are on Freedom this winter and debating the private tours vs Royal Caribbean tours. Have decided on a little of both depending on the port and opportunities offered.

However....cant decide which zipline to do: labadee or canopy tour with Dunns river falls. any insights from you recent travelers??

also, did any of you parasail? my kids want to do that too and wonder if we can do both the zipline and parasail in labadee without too much stress on time.

thanks for your insights!