CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Rita's Cantina on Allure is now ala carte (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/383675-ritas-cantina-allure-now-ala-carte.html)

AF1 July 11th, 2011 01:02 PM

Rita's Cantina on Allure is now ala carte

Just heard from my travel agent friend that Rita's Cantina now charges $3.00 cover charge, and all the food is ala carte. They used to charge $7.95 for all u could eat. The Rita's fiesta is still the same price; this only affects normal dining. The way if look at it, you will most likely pay more to eat there than when I was onboard in Jan. Paid $7.95 and that was it. I guess someone at Royal Caribbean has a reason why they have done this; Johnny Rockets is still the same price; no cover charge.

felix_the_cat July 11th, 2011 07:05 PM

Certainly they've got it figured out - another way to make money!!

I will never pay a cover to spend money. That is anywhere. There used to be an arts & craft show here every summer. It's gone now. They started charging $5 to get in so that you could spend your money.

I will not do that anywhere.

I will qualify that - if I am going into a bar to see an entertainer (good one) I will pay cover charge as I consider that my ticket for the entertainment.

AF1 July 12th, 2011 04:45 PM

I agree with you. There are too many other places to eat on Allure; that don't charge a cover; Johnny Rockets right across from Rita's doesn't charge, so why does Rita's? Thats the question. Thanks for your reply.

Manuel July 12th, 2011 05:07 PM

When we cruised on the Allure last january we had a great cruise and I love that ship as well as the Oasis, which we will be on for the second time in april 2012.
I have never paid to go to any special restaurant on the Allure or any other ship. I do spend money in the bars, but I am fine with the food in the MDR.

TM

Donna July 12th, 2011 08:07 PM

How was the food there, was it worth the price then?? Seems these days, there are too many choices in dinning, I like it more simple, but I'll decide once I sail on Allure....

AF1 July 16th, 2011 04:46 PM

I liked the food at Rita's; I also liked Johnny Rockets, and I ate at Chops. I eat at Johnny Rockets in my hometown; I like Mexican food; so Rita's was a natural choice. I just can't figure out why Royal started charging for that resturaunt and none of the others.

OklaCruiserMom July 16th, 2011 07:32 PM

I've not cruised yet- my first cruise, if it holds up, will be on Allure in May '12, BUT... my plan was to go to the Rita's Fiesta, and that would have been the only way I would have eaten there. I had also planned to do lunch at Giovanni's and dinner at the Samba Grill, but if we do get to go, I will skip Giovanni's. My kids like Italian, but their tastes run to Spaghettios and Totinos Party Pizza! rofl I am up in the air about Samba- it seems silly to pay extra when there are so many places that are included, but it just sounds really good and we've never been anywhere like that before.

AF1 July 17th, 2011 10:21 AM

OklaCruiserMom, there are plenty of places to eat that are free; or included with your cruise. The kids can get pizza and stuff at Sorrentos in the Royal Promenade; most likely u will eat at windjammers, solarium bistro, promenade cafe, central park cafe; these are all free.

Queen of Diamonds July 18th, 2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF1 (Post 1381199)
I agree with you. There are too many other places to eat on Allure; that don't charge a cover; Johnny Rockets right across from Rita's doesn't charge, so why does Rita's? Thats the question. Thanks for your reply.

Last time I cruised there was a $5 cover charge for Johnny Rockets - did they discontinue that?

Dave Beers July 18th, 2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of Diamonds (Post 1382037)
Last time I cruised there was a $5 cover charge for Johnny Rockets - did they discontinue that?

Not as of 3 weeks ago. We paid $4.95 per person to eat lunch at Rockets.

As for Rita's...the previous cover charge included 3 courses from the menu, but the menu has 4 courses. I guess they can argue the new plan makes it simpler since you pay for each course, but then that adds up to more money doesn't it? Frankly I was not impressed with the food at Rita's. Despite our waitress proclaiming it 'true Mexican style' it was really Tex-Mex for the most part. We were mostly annoyed that there were few choices for those who don't like a lot of bell pepper and onions mixed in with their food. Even the fajitas were so mixed up that you couldn't pick what you wanted on your tortillas.

Donna July 18th, 2011 08:25 PM

Thanks Dave,
I think I will skip that for sure, not a super big fan of Mexican food anyway.....There are just so many food options, you really need to pick and choose..

Manuel July 19th, 2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF1 (Post 1381911)
OklaCruiserMom, there are plenty of places to eat that are free; or included with your cruise. The kids can get pizza and stuff at Sorrentos in the Royal Promenade; most likely u will eat at windjammers, solarium bistro, promenade cafe, central park cafe; these are all free.

I I may add my two cents, I would like to say that is what I do. I eat at all those free places, I spend money on drinks but not extra for food.
I have sailed on the Allure and had a wonderful cruise.

TM

AF1 July 21st, 2011 08:22 AM

Dave, I agree with you that Rita's does use a lot of pepper and onions, we ordered Fajitas and there peppers and onions were plentiful.

seadog2 July 23rd, 2011 09:30 PM

DW and I did Giovonnies (sp) table on the Oasis and it was very good and a very good experience. We also booked
a speciality diner on our up coming trip on the Allure. Since we don't drink it's not too much for us to enjoy a little something extra.

AF1 July 25th, 2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seadog2 (Post 1383033)
DW and I did Giovonnies (sp) table on the Oasis and it was very good and a very good experience. We also booked
a speciality diner on our up coming trip on the Allure. Since we don't drink it's not too much for us to enjoy a little something extra.

Seadog2, which resturaunt will u be eating at on Allure? I sailed her in Jan, I ate at Chops, Giovanni's table for lunch, Johnny Rockets, Rita's Cantina; did not eat at Samba Grill, Central Park 51, or Chefs Table.

seadog2 July 26th, 2011 10:49 PM

Sorry it took so long to reply, we are doing Goivanni's Table again for lunch.

AF1 July 31st, 2011 12:36 PM

Good for you. Giovanni's italian is always nice. :D

Queen of Diamonds August 10th, 2011 01:26 PM

What is the charge for Rita's Cantina?
Is there a charge for the Hot Dog stand?

AF1 August 15th, 2011 10:15 PM

There is no charge for the Dog House. It is located right when u enter the Boardwalk on the left. Rita's is located mid Boardwalk on the right. I believe Rita's charges a $2.95 cover charge, then everything on the menu is ala carte. Rita's used to charge $7.95 per person for all u could eat. So if you're not a big eater, u could end up paying less even with the service charge. My wife and I shared Fajitas; the platter was enough for two.