CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Hurricane season August 2011 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/384117-hurricane-season-august-2011-a.html)

MJC82011 August 4th, 2011 09:44 AM

Hurricane season August 2011

Does anyone know where you can see upcoming weather forcast of the Carribean? We leave for our cruise on August 21st. I am concerned about the hurricanes and heavy rains. Anyone been on a cruise during this time of the month?

FtlCruiseGal August 4th, 2011 08:36 PM

If you want to monitor hurricane activity, go to National Hurricane Center's web site. There you can see any storms that the NHC is monitoring. Unfortunately, there is nothing to tell you when or if a hurricane will form. I always cruise during hurricane season. Much cheaper. If a hurricane does pop up, the ship will go around it. Or, in the case of the Oasis this week, will change itineraries.

Bernie by the sea August 4th, 2011 09:15 PM

as a resident of south florida (ft lauderdale), the news about hurricanes usually is only 1 to 2 weeks in advance.

the link to check the Hurricane center (for best information) about ANY storms (tropical, or hurricane) is :

www.nhc.noaa.gov

be sure to check the ATLANTIC forcasts for the caribbean and the PACIFIC for Hawaii and the west coast.

Nereida August 6th, 2011 11:55 PM

I'm scheduled to depart from San Juan on the 21st also. My mom's extremely concerned about it being hurricane season. She lives in Puerto Rico and the island was hit by Emily. She's been having second thoughts about this cruise since I told her I had booked a cabin for three people, me, her and my youngest daughter. I'm not in the least worried, but she is.

JLillie August 11th, 2011 08:03 PM

I was wondering the same thing. I will be sailing on Aug 21 also on Serenade of the Seas. Is this the ship your sailing?

Donna August 11th, 2011 08:30 PM

Thanks BYTS,
I booked marked the site, have a cruise comming up in Oct...Hopeully, NO, hurricanes...

Nereida August 13th, 2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLillie (Post 1386693)
I was wondering the same thing. I will be sailing on Aug 21 also on Serenade of the Seas. Is this the ship your sailing?

No. I'm sailing on Carnival Victory (I think) out of San Juan for a 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise. It sets sail on August 21, and I can't wait. I'm so excited about this trip I'm about to burst.

Manuel August 13th, 2011 01:31 PM

You will be fine. Most likely there won't be any hurricanes at that time. I will be flying to Florida on the 22nd.
If you are on a cruise during a hurricane the Captain will not take any chanches and you will be safe.

TM

JLillie August 15th, 2011 01:38 PM

Update:

According to National Hurricane Center, there is one possible hurricane (though unlikely) forming.
A TROPICAL WAVE LOCATED ABOUT 325 MILES EAST OF THE LESSER ANTILLES
IS PRODUCING A LARGE AREA OF CLOUDINESS AND THUNDERSTORMS.
DEVELOPMENT OF THIS DISTURBANCE...IF ANY...SHOULD BE SLOW TO OCCUR
DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. HOWEVER...THIS DISTURBANCE WILL
PRODUCE BRIEF PERIODS OF LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL AND STRONG GUSTY
WINDS OVER PORTIONS OF THE CENTRAL AND NORTHERN LESSER ANTILLES
TODAY THROUGH TUESDAY. THIS SYSTEM HAS A LOW CHANCE...10 PERCENT...
OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES
WESTWARD AT 15 TO 20 MPH.

MJC82011 August 16th, 2011 09:40 AM

Thanks for the report. That was helpful. Luckily, it does not look like the formation should effect our cruise when we leave this Sunday.

FtlCruiseGal August 21st, 2011 07:42 AM

Um, things have changed. It is now Tropical Storm Irene, scheduled to hit Florida as a Category 1 hurricane early Friday (the 26th).

I heard Oasis change their itinerary mid-sailing, and am sure that the outgoing Oasis and Allure will be affected.

Manuel August 21st, 2011 07:57 AM

I will be in Florida then. But I am not worried we will listen to the news and do what needs to be done.

TM

MJC82011 August 30th, 2011 10:19 AM

We just got back on Freedom of the Seas through the Carribean. It was awesome! The captain redirected our itinerary so we would not be effected by Hurricane Irene. We sailed our route in reverse from original plan which I thought was even better. Because it was great to finish the cruise in Labadee and relax rather than doing an adventurous excursion in Cozumel last. Because of the hurricane, our sailing was so smooth because the rough waters are drawn toward the hurricane which left us with crystal clear waters.

Bernie by the sea August 30th, 2011 09:48 PM

another good Weather site

there is another good weather site besides WWW.NHC.NOAA.GOV

it is WWW.WUNDERGROUND.COM Weather underground has all types of information including tracking maps, computer models , etc. the radar is especially good because it shows the FULL size of the storm and not just the core.