Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Familiar Face

Default So Excited For My Parents

My parents are taking their 2nd Mediterranean Cruise this Oct. They are going to Israel as one of the ports and I am a bit nervous for them. Any tips I can share with them?
Thanks so much!!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Familiar Face

Excited? or Nervous? Make up your mind! lol Seriously, I wouldnt go NEAR that region if you PAID ME. Israel is always in conflict with the Palestinians, and with Libya, Egypt, Gaza, Syria, Yemen, Iran, the whole region in turmoil, I just dont think it is safe. But I am sure they will be fine. I hope everything goes well and they enjoy themselves immensely
Old August 27th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Admiral

We were there not too long ago on Azamara. It was wonderful and not for a minute did we feel unsafe. I had hired a guide - there were 6 of us so it made it reasonable. However many people took off on their own. Certainly no problems. And we went into Gaza.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Familiar Face

well, if you feel comfortable going into Gaza, you obviously either don't watch the news, or have a death wish. You couldn't get me within 1,000 miles of Israel right now.
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Admiral

You must be extremely young to make such a statement. We have neither a death wish and I would say we probably watch the news more than you do. (At least we don't watch FOX or CNN) We had our butts covered but we also don't believe all we read - obviously you do.

That is a foolish statement. You are as safe in Israel as any of the middle east and European countries except for those that actually have a war going on now.

As you obviously have never been there, you really can't pass judgement.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old August 29th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Familiar Face

Default Canadian Travel Advisories ISRAEL/GAZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICRUISEFORFUN View Post
My parents are taking their 2nd Mediterranean Cruise this Oct. They are going to Israel as one of the ports and I am a bit nervous for them. Any tips I can share with them?
Thanks so much!!!
Found this on the Canadian Travel Advisories web site:THE MESSAGE IS: DO NOT GO THERE!!!!!

Israel, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip Travel Advice and Advisories | Government of Canada

ALL, PLEASE READ!!!!!

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against all travel to the Gaza Strip, as it continues to be affected by serious violence. There has been an increase in the level of military activity in the area recently. Attacks have occurred and have resulted in multiple casualties. The situation could deteriorate further due to inter-factional violence, along with possible military operations in the area.

There is a high risk of kidnapping in the Gaza Strip and foreigners may be targeted. Most recently, an Italian national was kidnapped and subsequently killed on April 15, 2011.

Areas around the border with Israel are particularly dangerous. The entrances to and exits from the Gaza Strip are under the control of Israeli and Egyptian authorities and borders have been effectively closed since June 2007, even to those in possession of valid entry and exit permits.

On August 18, 2011, a series of coordinated attacks were reported in southern Israel near Eilat and the Egyptian border. Preliminary reports indicate that two civilian buses were targeted. A number of casualties have been reported. A state of alert has been issued in southern Israel. Canadians in the area are advised to limit their movement and follow the advice of the local authorities. Canadians requiring assistance may contact the Embassy of Canada in Tel Aviv (see section 5).
Recent reports indicate that the level of threat has increased in the Gulf of Aqaba region. Two rocket attacks on Eilat, Israel and the bordering city of Aqaba, Jordan have taken place between April and August 2010.

In past years, terrorist incidents have occurred in a variety of locations in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Eilat, Haifa, Beersheba, Netanya and other major populated centres, including at tourist sites, on public transportation and other public areas, causing numerous deaths and injuries. Foreigners have been affected but have never been directly targeted. There is potential for further violence. Incidents could be unpredictable and there is a strong risk that Canadians could find themselves in the middle of dangerous situations. Following terrorist incidents, the Government of Israel may establish checkpoints without warning. Canadians visiting urban areas should exercise caution, stay informed of the security situation, monitor local news reports and follow the advice of local authorities. Canadians should also avoid large gatherings, crowded places and demonstrations. Moreover, they should exercise extreme caution in public places, such as open markets and bus stations. Public transportation should be avoided at all times, especially during peak hours.

It is important to note that dual citizens who hold Canadian as well as Israeli citizenship are technically required by law to enter and exit from Israel or the West Bank showing their Israeli documentation.

Jerusalem

Canadians should exercise a high level of personal security awareness at all times in Jerusalem, especially in the Old City, as there is a high incidence of crime, mostly at night. During periods of imposed movement restrictions and religious holidays, as well as when national developments may have an impact on the local population, tensions may be exacerbated and lead to security incidents. It is recommended that travellers limit their movement to the Old City during such periods. It is also advisable to travel in groups and dress conservatively at all times.

Demonstrations in religious neighbourhoods occur regularly and sometimes result in clashes between residents and the local police. Traffic may also be disrupted. Canadians are advised to exercise extreme caution at all times; avoid all crowds, political gatherings, and demonstrations, as they may turn violent without notice; monitor news reports; and follow the advice of local authorities.

Regions of Israel bordering Lebanon

Exercise normal security precautions Exercise high degree of caution Avoid non-essential travel Avoid all travel

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against non-essential travel to regions near the border with Lebanon.

While a cessation of hostilities remains in effect between Israel and Hezbollah forces following the 2006 conflict, stability in the northern region of Israel could deteriorate rapidly without notice. Rockets fired from Lebanon into northern Israel have reached Shlomi and Kiryat Shmona. Although tensions have subsided since the 2006 conflict, there is still a strong potential for future incidents.

Region of Israel surrounding the Gaza StripExercise normal security precautions Exercise high degree of caution Avoid non-essential travel Avoid all travel

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against all travel to the region surrounding the Gaza Strip due to the risk of rocket and mortar launches, gunfire and of ongoing military activity. There has been an increase in the level of military activity in the area in February and March 2011. Between March 17 and 23, 2011 a significant increase in rockets fired from Gaza was recorded. Rockets reached cities located some 40 km away, such as Ashdod and Beersheba. Similar attacks were reported at the end of 2008, beginning of 2009. Other cities have been targeted by rockets and mortars such as Netivot, Sderot and Ashqelon.

The security situation along the coast of Gaza remains dangerous and volatile. In May 2010, an attempt to breach the naval blockade along the coast of Gaza was intercepted by Israeli security forces and resulted in death, injury, arrest and deportation. Canadians are strongly advised against participating in any attempt to break the naval blockade.

The Gaza StripExercise normal security precautions Exercise high degree of caution Avoid non-essential travel Avoid all travel

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against all travel to the Gaza Strip, as it continues to be affected by serious violence. There has been an increase in the level of military activity in the area recently. Attacks have occurred and have resulted in multiple casualties. The situation could deteriorate further due to inter-factional violence, along with possible military operations in the area.

There is a high risk of kidnapping in the Gaza Strip and foreigners may be targeted. Most recently, an Italian national was kidnapped and subsequently killed on April 15, 2011.

Areas around the border with Israel are particularly dangerous. The entrances to and exits from the Gaza Strip are under the control of Israeli and Egyptian authorities and borders have been effectively closed since June 2007, even to those in possession of valid entry and exit permits.

Last edited by SophySeaDog; August 29th, 2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Admiral

It's panic that stops people from enjoying world travels. The travelling warning should definitely be read and you should be very cautious but if you take all of that - considering it's posted over a period of several years you'll never get out of bed for heavens sake!!!

Go - enjoy - listen - learn and don't hide in the closet. When you are on a ship they will not take you to highly dangerous places. They will avoid any ports that are as dangerous as posted above.

Use caution - absolutely. Don't hide and for heaven's sake don't panic!!!!

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old August 29th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Familiar Face

Default United States Travel Advisories

In addition to the Canadian Travel Advisories web site, Below is the link to the US site with much the same warnings.

Better Safe Than Sorry!!

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_5511.html

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risks of traveling to Israel, the West Bank, and the Gaza Strip, and about threats to themselves and to U.S. interests in those locations. The Department of State urges U.S. citizens to remain mindful of security factors when planning travel to Israel and the West Bank and to avoid all travel to the Gaza Strip. This replaces the Travel Warning issued August 10, 2010, to update information on the general security environment and to warn against participation in any attempt to reach Gaza by sea.

The Gaza Strip and Southern Israel

The Department of State strongly urges that U.S. citizens refrain from all travel to the Gaza Strip. This recommendation applies to all U.S. citizens. U.S. citizens should be aware that as a consequence of a longstanding prohibition on travel by U.S. citizen employees of the U.S. Government into the Gaza Strip, the ability of consular staff to offer timely assistance to U.S. citizens there is extremely limited, including the provision of routine consular services.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) strictly controls the crossing points between Israel and the Gaza Strip. The security environment within Gaza, including its border with Egypt and its seacoast, is dangerous and volatile. U.S. citizens are advised against traveling to Gaza by any means, including via sea. Previous attempts to enter Gaza by sea have been stopped by Israeli naval vessels and resulted in the injury, death, arrest, and deportation of U.S. citizens. U.S. citizens participating in any effort to reach Gaza by sea should understand that they may face arrest, prosecution, and deportation by the Government of Israel. The Government of Israel has announced its intention to seek ten-year travel bans to Israel for anyone participating in an attempt to enter Gaza by sea. On May 31, 2010, nine people were killed, including one U.S. citizen, in such an attempt. The U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv and the U.S. Consulate General in Jerusalem are not able to provide consular assistance in Gaza or on the high seas or coastal waters.
[/COLOR][/B]
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Admiral

You are over-reacting. Do you even know why there were deaths in those fools that were trying to run a blockade? Are you aware they had been told over and over again they would be boarded if they tried to run the blockade? Are you aware they used weapons against the Israeli forces who legally boarded them?

You have to know the truth before you over-react. Better yet - you need to know what you are talking about first.

Her parents are taking a cruise to the Holy Land. They are going legally to Israel. They didn't say they were going into GAZA. They will be quite safe.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old August 30th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Familiar Face

It is apparent you lack the knowlege to make an informed comment.Please follow the link below to educate yourself further. If you like i can have someone contact you directly from "Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada".
I believe they make this information available to the public to allow them to make informed decisions.
I fail to see how posting this material would warrant such a bizarre response, certainly from someone who provides advise as a travel professional.

Travel Reports & Warnings
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophySeaDog View Post
It is apparent you lack the knowlege to make an informed comment.Please follow the link below to educate yourself further. If you like i can have someone contact you directly from "Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada".
I believe they make this information available to the public to allow them to make informed decisions.
I fail to see how posting this material would warrant such a bizarre response, certainly from someone who provides advise as a travel professional.

Travel Reports & Warnings

As I already said - you are over-reacting. You know nothing of why those very things you are nattering on about happened. However you just continue to hide your head in the sand. I know where I've been - do you or are you one of those typical North American's who are terrified to leave your own comfort zone.

For heavens sake - the cruiselines will not take passengers into areas where their lives are at risk. What part of that don't you understand.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old August 31st, 2011, 05:01 PM
Familiar Face

Default Nationsonline Travel Warnings

Now this is an interesting Site:

It lists travel warnings from from virtually every developed country in the world.

Travel Safety - Compilation of Global Travel Warnings and Travel Advices - Nations Online Project
Old August 31st, 2011, 05:08 PM
Familiar Face

Default Concerned about Traveling Safety?

If you are Concerned about Traveling Safety ( Not only on Cruises) at all you need to check out the link below.

It is quite an eye opener!!!!

World Travel Watch
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:36 PM
Admiral

And some people just arn't able to leave home - if you listened to all the scare tactics everyone put out there, one would learn nothing about the world. The sad thing is that so many listen to the scare mongering and never learn anything about others. Then they pass their own fright on to others and it turns out they usually haven't left their own state or province in their lives. I find that sad.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old September 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM
Familiar Face

Thank You Mr Felix, I apologise, I have realised that i am wrong along with all of members on this site you seem to have an issue with.

I would like to give you the opportunity to review my future topics before i post them to this site, I can send them via PM and you could reply with you approval or not.

Of course if you decide that the material is not appropriate i would not think of posting without your permission

If you are unsure of how to respond perhaps you can touch base with the forum moderator as i believe they are aware of your activity.

Please get back to me

Sincerly yours SSD - Have a Great Weekend!!!
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:44 PM
Admiral

It's Mrs. Apparently my message is too short. So, once again it's Mrs.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old September 1st, 2011, 08:54 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

gosh you guys.... can't you just agree to disagree, grow up, and stop the back and forth bickering ???

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
gosh you guys.... can't you just agree to disagree, grow up, and stop the back and forth bickering ???
Thank you "Curtis", Much Appreciated!!!!

SSD
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:09 AM
Familiar Face

Smile They were safe

Hi, sorry for the time lapse! THey cruised last Oct and were 100% safe. There was even an earthquake in Turkey and they were not affected. They said it was their best cruise ever!
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:39 AM
Admiral

It's allways nice to see an happy ending.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!