Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:57 PM
First Mate

Default Diamond Plus Upgrade Program - I think not

Thought the group might find this interesting. I am a diamond plus member scheduled to sail this weekend on Monarch for a quick 3 night cruise. Per the "benefits" of the Diamond Plus status, I am eligible for a free upgrade to a suite. What the "don't tell you" is that Royal has an internal policy that says you have to have 500 nights as a Diamond Plus member to be eligible for the upgrade. This is not defined anywhere on their website, I think it's kind of bs. I have 306 nights, guess I need to spend another 5 years sailing for a silly upgrade. At least they should clarify this on there website.
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

That is a HUGE difference, yes, agree, they should state this, so you know the deal.....

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 30th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Captain

Smile

WOW 500 nights that seems like a lot of cruises!But just think of all the fun you could have in those 500 nights
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Captain

Default Diamond Plus Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMember View Post
Thought the group might find this interesting. I am a diamond plus member scheduled to sail this weekend on Monarch for a quick 3 night cruise. Per the "benefits" of the Diamond Plus status, I am eligible for a free upgrade to a suite. What the "don't tell you" is that Royal has an internal policy that says you have to have 500 nights as a Diamond Plus member to be eligible for the upgrade. This is not defined anywhere on their website, I think it's kind of bs. I have 306 nights, guess I need to spend another 5 years sailing for a silly upgrade. At least they should clarify this on there website.
Is this something new? On our last Jewel OTS cruise (October 2010) we were upgraded from a D1 cabin to a JS cabin. We are D+, but don't have anywhere near 500 nights as D+.

Norm
Old August 30th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Admiral

It is BS but it does give them the ability to give an answer by saying these are the "rules" when they've already given all the upgrades to first timers.

When it comes to RCL, there is not much left to believe. The tell "tall tales" more than they tell the truth. They don't give a tinkers damn about their clients, just look at what they did in San Juan with all those people they sailed without.

They aught to be ashamed of themselves for the crap they spew.

I am a D+ but unless they are offering something I absulutely can't find somewhere else, I don't think there are any benefits to me to sail with them anymore.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old August 30th, 2011, 10:12 AM
First Mate

This is unique to the shorter 3-4 days cruises, I don't know the the rules for longer cruises. Either way, they really shouldn't have these "secret" teirs inside the D+ range. They should simply rack and stack the D+ members sailing by number of nights and then give out the upgrades accordingly. The only cabin they do "exclude" in writing in the program is the Royal Suite, which I can understand.

It's not so much that they have established these teirs inside D+, I just think they need to be transparent to the members on this.
Old August 31st, 2011, 12:06 AM
First Mate

Lightbulb UpGrade

I am Diamond Plus with less than 325 points and we just got an upgrade from oceanview to balcony in April on Allure of the Seas, so it happens.
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15
Old August 31st, 2011, 01:17 PM
First Mate

I would agree on a 7 night cruise and going from a window to balcony that they do those more often as their are generally a larger population of balcony cabins to move people into. I believe when going into a suite they put a bunch of stipulations in place that are not communicated.
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMember View Post
This is unique to the shorter 3-4 days cruises, I don't know the the rules for longer cruises. Either way, they really shouldn't have these "secret" teirs inside the D+ range. They should simply rack and stack the D+ members sailing by number of nights and then give out the upgrades accordingly. The only cabin they do "exclude" in writing in the program is the Royal Suite, which I can understand.

It's not so much that they have established these teirs inside D+, I just think they need to be transparent to the members on this.
They didn't used to be secret - before they changed the system this year, they were clear that the D+ upgrade was only for sailing of 7+nights. I don't recall whether the upgrades on 3/4 nights at 75 credits was on the website.

And when you look at the website now, they are making C&A upgrades (as opposed to revenue upgrades) scarcer than hens' teeth. It seems that the revenue department does virtually all of the upgrading now, and if posts on the dark side are to be believed, many go to first time cruisers.
Old September 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Admiral

I don't think RCL gives a rats pahtoot about loyal cruisers anymore. I'm waiting for the announcement that D+ are no longer welcome in the CL. It will be happening soon no doubt. With the little minnions now being allowed in thru cocktail hour there goes one of two places that adults only could have a bit of alone time and a comp. drink with it.

As I have only sailed RCL once in the last 2 years, I guess I won't be going back any time soon. Right now both Celebrity and Princess give me better programs that RCL.

I've yet to get an upgrade and have been a D+ for a long time. I gave up on that "perk."

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old September 17th, 2011, 01:02 PM
First Mate

it will be interesting to see what happens when i sail in november...but if they don't come up with something for D+...=X= is looking better and better every day...if they'd just LEAVE a ship year round in bayonne...i think that Summit and Silhouette are only part time in Jersey....maybe Silhouette will be here for a full year...i forget

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg