Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Admiral

Default port canaveral shore excursion how do they work?

Hi All I'm going on the Freedom of the Seas in April 2012. I was looking at the Kennedy Space center shore excusion the ones without the airport transfer and I was wondering how they work. I'm guess the shore excursion is for debarkation day. Does this speed up debarkation? After the excursion is over where do they drop you off at? Is it back at the port or do they drop you off at your hotel. I was thinking of stay another after the cruise. Also what happens to your bags? Thanks for your help.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2011, 11:48 AM
Admiral

well shoot has no one does this type of shore excursion?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 5th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Admiral

We haven't taken any post-cruise excursions in Port Canaveral, but we have done so in Miami, and they are geared to get you off the ship in good time, board a bus with your luggage accompanying you, then taking you directly to the airport after the excursion.

If you are hanging around after the cruise, my guess is that you'll either have to rent a car or get a taxi after being dropped off at the airport. Are you thinking about staying in Orlando or back over on the coast, say Cocoa Beach or Cape Canaveral? The airport is in Orlando, so you'd definitely need a car to go back to the coast.

My advice is that since you're staying after the cruise, forego the ship's excursion, take one of the rental car shuttles which will be there at the port after you debark, get a car and go to KSC on your own. You'll spend less on the excursion and you'll be able to spend as long as you want at KSC, which I assure you, will be as many hours as you can make it until you drop! What a fascinating place! We go there every time we're in that area, either to take a cruise or to visit my brother and his family who live nearby.

Then you have the car to do all the other things you want to do. Very useful to have in that area.

Good luck, whatever you decide!
Old September 5th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Agree . Rent a car in Cocoa Beach and then go visit KSC . If you have time
go into Titisville and visit the aircraft/military museum.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old September 5th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Shore excursions at the conclusion of the trip are designed for travelers who have a LATE afternoon flight home. You will be one of the early groups off the ship, pick up your luggage, and then board the bus for your tour. Read your tour carefully to make sure it takes you to the airport at the end.

I think this is what you are looking for:

Kennedy Space Center "VIP" Tour (Airport Drop off) - PC01

Tour restricted areas of a working space flight facility, meet a real astronaut and stand inches from the largest rocket ever built. The Visitor Complex offers a behind the scenes look at one of mankind's most fascinating and remarkable achievements - the Space Program. Your tour ends at the Orlando International Airport. This tour is only available to guests with flights departing Orlando at 4PM for domestic flights and 5PM for international flights. A minimum number of participants is required for this tour to operate, thus if the minimum number of participants is not met, the tour is subject to cancellation
Old September 9th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydozer View Post
Agree . Rent a car in Cocoa Beach and then go visit KSC . If you have time
go into Titisville and visit the aircraft/military museum.
And remember to see the space center you really need 2 days for that alone!

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Constellation November 24, 2014
Old September 18th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Funny you should ask. I met a girl last night who works for the company that handles all of the shore excursions and transportation for the ships in Port Canaveral. You can purchase a post cruise package that will include visits to KSC or other local attractions, airport transportation & hotel if you would like to stay extra nights. The ship excursion drops you at the airport only. You would be picked up at the ship like everyone else. The company I know of is here in Brevard County (near the Port in Merritt Island), but I believe there are a couple of companies in Orlando that do similar packages as well.
Message me and I can get you the details
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

We took the St John's River airboat ride excursion after our cruise - it took about 3 hours and they dropped us off at the airport at the conclusion of the tour. Kids loved seeing all the gators and and it killed a few hours waiting for a late afternoon flight...