Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen View Post
Yes indeed the facts do speak for themselves...

RCL was ordered to leave port and so they did. These cruisers that were left behind don't they have insurance Did they not watch the weather channel a week before sailing to see what is brewing and why not get to the port 1st thing in the morning during hurricane season And I hope nobody was flying same day :eek:

Sh*t can happen anytime of the year let alone hurricane season. Now if RCL decided what the heck let's leave port early just for the hell of it is a different story.

A discount for a future cruise is more then enough.

Yes I'm Royal gal for life HOWEVER would feel the same way if it was any other cruiseline.

Bottom line.....hurricane season fly in at least 1 day before, get to port early in the morning, have insurance. And things can also happen outside of hurricane season it's a crazy world we live in.

As I've said a dozen times, insurance yes. However, not everyone can get to the port the day prior. There are a lot of reason for that but the reason's don't matter - the fact is they CAN'T get there.

When a ship is scheduled to sail at 7:30 and you are scheduled to arrive at 12PM (7 hours) and you do arrive within an hour or two and you arrive at the port within the proper time frame, you have upheld your end of the bargain. The fact that RCL didn't uphold their end - well, what can I say Sh*t happens - right. The same justification that is being used to lambast cruisers is the same justification that is being used to defend the cruiseline.

As far as the comp. - it's crap..........useless.............and costs RCL absolutely nothing.....................

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
The fact that RCL didn't uphold their end - well, what can I say Sh*t happens - right. The same justification that is being used to lambast cruisers is the same justification that is being used to defend the cruiseline.

As far as the comp. - it's crap..........useless.............and costs RCL absolutely nothing.....................
But RCI did uphold their end, they followed the cruise contract. What they are being lambasted for here is that they didn't go above and beyond the cruise contract like Carnival did.

And future cruise credits do cost them something. They have to give a cabin to the recipient on a future cruise that otherwise they would have sold to someone.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Admiral

No fun2cruiz MY favorite cruiseline did not blow it in my eyes and many others eyes too. Was that the total amount of people 150? How did all the other cruisers get on the ship and the ship sailed?

Felix ok if a cruiser can't travel the day before. But if you are flying to the port the same day during hurricane season you better get insurance.
Or consider a land vacation and take the cruise at another time other then hurricane season. It seems that noon is the normal time however when there is a hurricane out there the smart thing to do is show up super early. Heck I'm always at port by 10am when it's NOT hurricane season. I rather wait in port and be close to the ship.

So my friends was set to cruise a Carnival 5 niter out of ny to Canada last Saturday (Irene Day). They did not get to the port and missed the cruise. At first they were fuming that Carnival should have left earlier or bring back the prior cruise earlier to get their cruise out. The problem with that Saturday they pretty much shut the city down at noon. I had to remind them that ships will sail no mater what and it is your responsiblity to be on it. Anyways they had insurance and are over it and ready to book another cruise.

You hear it all the time people missing cruising due to weather, delayed flights or sickness in the family. It's nothing new.

Hurricane season must be a big headache for the cruiselines.

It's not a good thing to miss a cruise for whatever reason as we all look forward to the cruise and count down the days however sometimes Mother Nature takes charge. :???:
Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Blueliner

I do admire the way you defend the indefensible.

I hope RCI recognise this.

Annie
Old September 4th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Felix ok if a cruiser can't travel the day before. But if you are flying to the port the same day during hurricane season you better get insurance.
You can presume that some flew in the day of, and they arrived too late. But I'd bet there were also those who were in the day prior, and spent their time touring San Juan, and arrived after the ship sailed.

RCI DID NOT even make an attempt to contact passengers... so let's not pretend they handled this well.

They did the very minimum necessary according to the contract.

And the people who were left behind had to be plenty worried, standing at the pier where a ship should have been, with a hurricane heading to the island, which was why the ships were ordered to leave.
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Some flew the day before and decided to tour San Juan the day of the cruise while they know a hurricane is in the area. I don't get it.

The ship was scheduled to leave at 8:30pm and left at 5:30pm instead. So these cruisers were still not onboard at 5:30pm....that is cutting it short. When was the ship told they had to leave early a few day earlier or that day?

I bet those people already onboard could not wait for the ship to sail even it is 3 hours early. Irene did alot of damage was not pretty.

Out of those 150 cruisers those that booked air with Royal were put up in a hotel and flew to the ships next destination.

Well maybe there is a lesson to be learned. Book your flight the day before, get to the ship 1st thing in the morning, have insurance and call your cruiseline for any updates.

And to those cruising this coming weekend be prepared. Get to your ship early and have insurance. There are different senerios as of now for Katia. They have her around Bermuda and out to sea OR teaming up with Lee and heading in the northeast. :eek: Katia and Lee may be going on a date this weekend.

I see why cruise prices are cheap during hurricane season.
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Youy have to understand, and as a typical thumper for RCL just as is Blue, you don't. Not everyone can get into town the day before. What is hard to understand about that.

Insurance - absolutely agree - get insurance.

No matter how hard the two of you defend RCL on this one, it just can't be done. They didn't even make the effort to contact those that weren't there.

Worry about those who were onboard is just plane selfish. They were onboard - they weren't going to get left behind and they were going to be taken care of. sheeesh -

Arriving at 5:30 is still double the required time to book in for an 8:30 sailing.

The typical expression I'm hearing on here is "I" would "I" do. Well good for you, not everyone esle can.

And it will continue to say RCL gave NOTHING - a FCC amounts to NOTHING - it's just another way of getting the same people who were given the shaft onto one of their ships to spend their hard earned money.

No matter which way you look at it RCL did a crap job with this one.

And, until it actually happens to you, the Loyalists of RCL will never understand.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old September 4th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner View Post
But RCI did uphold their end, they followed the cruise contract. What they are being lambasted for here is that they didn't go above and beyond the cruise contract like Carnival did.

And future cruise credits do cost them something. They have to give a cabin to the recipient on a future cruise that otherwise they would have sold to someone.

Yes, and their contract says they don't even guarantee the ships are seaworthy!!!!

They didn't even make an effort to contact missing people. The could have - they just didn't want to. Lazy critters on top of everything else.

Guess that's why they are number 2.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old September 4th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We've all seen those stories on tv, when a person, or company, goes over and above to do the right thing, in extenuating circumstances and we cheer them on, with a bravo, well done!

Well this story had extenuating circumstances,and, ended with a hero and a villian. Happily ever after for some, but, not for all.

Stepping up to the plate, was a missed opportunity, RCI chose to miss. The why's and how comes, of the passengers not flying in the day of, or touring, while they should have been standing in the buffet line onboard, are beside the point, in this story of just plain, doing the right thing, in "THIS" sceanario.

Trying to play catch up, is just not working. The extra mile would have.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 4th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Youy have to understand, and as a typical thumper for RCL just as is Blue, you don't. Not everyone can get into town the day before. What is hard to understand about that.
You have to understand, and as a typical Basher for RCL, you don't. If you can't fly the day before you might want to consider a land vacation instead. Flying same day during hurricane season is a 50/50 chance. It might work it might not. Not to mention all the airlines issues even with no hurricanes. Have guts and take a gamble I guess. What is hard to understand about that.

Could have RCL refused authorities and stay until normal depart time? Or Ask authorities for an additional hour 6:30 instead of 5:30 to see what other cruisers stroll in. Irene might have already been getting to close for comfort.

Good news for this weekend cruisers and cruiselines...Katia will not make landfall she will stay at sea according to Weather channel.

I know Cruisemates very own DTW would never be one of the 150 cruisers not onboard. DTW is first cruiser onboard and already ate lunch, had drinks at the pool bar, unpacked, made new friends, showered and ready for dinner all before 5pm.

Peace Out Kids.....

Happy cruising/vacationing.....xoxo
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Yea - I've taking to pointing out the major boobs that RCL have been doing the last few years. And so they should be pointed out. If they arn't they'll only get worse.

Actually your statement about "if you can't fly in the day before don't cruise" is just as rude as can be. Luckily no one would listen to you on that one. And do you really think that RCL would appreciate a remark like that? Not likely.

No, RCL could not have stayed. They were told "out" by the port authorities. That is not even the issue. The issue is RCL handled everything from that time to this like a bunch of idiots. Eight people left on the dock while the ship sat there? Now, I do call that stupid. No effort by their own admission to reach those not there? Another stupid move.

Again, that's why RCL is number 2.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old September 4th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

might as well end the debate cuz "thecruisequeen" will never cave into your beliefs.....so voice your opinion with your wallet instead and stop wasting time on an argument you will not win with thecruisequeen !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old September 4th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

I stopped cruising with RCL due to a problem which arose last year on board a holiday cruise. They did not rectify the problem to our satisfaction either on board or once we got back home. We were Diamond Plus members. No problem--we spent our money on other cruise lines and those cruises turned out well beyond our expectations and we have booked more cruises with them.

I'm happy that RCL got a bad rap and bad press. Serves them right for not doing the right thing to begin with.

Now don't bombard me with negative comments; this is only MY opinion which was based on MY experiences over the years with RCL.

Respect it and I'll respect yours. Thank you and happy cruising!
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Totally respect your opinion.... you took action with the almighty $$$...... RCI's loss of your cruise business. Kudos to you for taking a stand !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Admiral

I have spoken with my wallet. Emerald Princess in November and only 1 cruise with RCL in 2 years and that one not through choice.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old September 5th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

At least they aren't complaining about the Quinceaneras on that sailing.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:17 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
You can presume that some flew in the day of, and they arrived too late. But I'd bet there were also those who were in the day prior, and spent their time touring San Juan, and arrived after the ship sailed.

RCI DID NOT even make an attempt to contact passengers... so let's not pretend they handled this well.

They did the very minimum necessary according to the contract.

And the people who were left behind had to be plenty worried, standing at the pier where a ship should have been, with a hurricane heading to the island, which was why the ships were ordered to leave.
Heck..today on CCLs website, a couple ships are delayed/wacky due to TS Lee...THEY have set up numbers you can call to get texts from them with updates...Me thinks RCCL could do this...i mean how hard is it?? Oh wait, we're talking RCCLs IT dept here....

it isn't so much that they did or didn't compensate people...or left early....(granted, I would have been ON the ship as soon as the check in opened but that's me...) it is more that RCCL didn't even TRY (they admitted that too) to contact people nor did they attempt to do ANYTHING to mitigate the issue until it blew up all over the internet, and then their faces...

It is the 21st century...they PAY people to READ social media (they called me once after a comment posted on FB)...they can TWEET me specials and post them on FB....they COULD HAVE TRIED!!!

They didn't do ANYTHING at the time.....CCL did.....

And while RCCL is still my preferred line (i just like what they offer, etc..but i am starting to love =X=) i will continue to let them know when they bleep up!!! Just like this crap with kids in the CL.....don't even get me started on that one....

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Yes, I'm very impressed with Carnival's text-messaging system. Perfect for situations such as what happened in PR and weather delays.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 8th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Welcome Newcomer

My first cruise was on Serenade on 8/21/11 out of PR. I thought they handled the situation very well considering the circumstances. As this was my first cruise, I opted not to get the travel insurance because I though... Im young, its my honeymoon, of course Im gonna be there, nothing can stop me. Well I learned my lesson. Trip insurance is a must no matter what.

Some inside information that most probably don't know... The port closed as of 10:30 am due to Irene. With some sweet talking from the captains of both RC and Carnival they were able to depart at 5:30 pm. If they had left at 10:30 like they were suppose to, pretty much everyone would have missed the cruise.

It is not RC fault that there was a hurricane, its the chance you take vacationing in the Caribbean during hurricane season. Many were able to meet us in our first port Aruba so there vacation wasn't entirely ruined. As RC can't predict the weather, I feel that cruise credit for a future cruise is very generous. What Carnival did was fantastic but RC shouldn't be looked down upon because of this situation.
Old September 8th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Captain

Quote:
I have spoken with my wallet. Emerald Princess in November and only 1 cruise with RCL in 2 years and that one not through choice.

Felix-I'm confused. The last words in your signature are "Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it". I thought that meant you are an RC supporter?
No big deal-just curious.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old September 9th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
hmmm payment of 100% extra costs (guessing of course) 25% - offer 30% - loss of vacation 105%. Yup sounds like RCL is helpful - NOT.

A 30% discount off another cruise to be within a year is a crock. I have even less respect for them now than I did before and I've pretty well lost all respect for them over the last 3 years or so. They are only trying to get the same people they left at the dock to spend more money with them!!!!

Yes, one should always always have insurance and I have no problem telling my clients that - but I have a personal antedote that always goes with that. (My DH had a heart attack 3 weeks before we were suppose to go on a cruise 2 years ago. It was so bad that we didn't know if he was going to make it - it was over a week before I was able to call the insurance company and they were extremely co-operative.) I received all my money back. Now, if a client is hesitant I will tell them my story yet at least 50% will not buy insurance.

Generally, I would say no insurance well, no reimbursement but you know, in this case it wasn't the cruisers fault - they lived up to their end of the contract - RCL and Carnival didn't. Not their fault either - but........Carnival was the bigger man.

I agree with Trip - too little too late.
This reminds me of a poster on the HAL board who never purchased insurance because he had "good health and was only 42". Well, he expected HAL to reinburse when he had an heart attack a week before his cruise and missed it. His heath was not as good as he thought I suppose and many of us (I suppose this is one of those situations Blueliner is referring) told him that is what insurance is for-the unexpected, we may not be in as good of health as we think.

BTW- we also did not buy insurance for years, because we thought we did not need it-being in good health. Then my husband had emergency gall bladder surgery at age 45 about a month before our cruise. Now he was well enough for the cruise-but this got us thinking. What if that had happened on the cruise? You see, unknowingly he had had other attacks, which the family doctor misdiagnosed, I suppose he thought hubby would have went to emergency room if his bellyache was THAT bad-instead of waiting and coming into his office. This attack happened after having a rich meal of manicotti and cheesecake- ! The very type thing he is apt to do on cruises-over eat rich food. From then on we bought insurance, and thankfully have never had to use it!

There was another instance of a guy who had an heart attack on Carnival Miracle the first night of his cruise about 6 years ago. He was in his early 50's and also had bought no insurance. Carnival however, gave him a free cruise, off season and only an inside cabin, since this had happened to him. Now this did not pay his medical bill on ship, or his emergency flight back home, but he appreciated their kindness and he accepted that cruise, upgrading the difference of price for a balcony out of his own pocket a few months later when he was recovered. He also bought insurance after that. He said for the cost of medical expenses he could have had a couple of cruises, but he was just grateful to Carnival to still be alive-as he had "died" in the show lounge and had been revived by the Miracle Dr.

Blueliner, no Carnival did not need to give him that off season cruise in an inside cabin, and no one would have thought badly of Carnival if they hadn't. I do believe Carnival knew this would give them "good press" as this had been posted on another message forum. Carnival is not my favorite line for sure, but one thing for sure I can't knock them for what they do in these type situations.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
146 days total
Old September 9th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdenv24 View Post
Felix-I'm confused. The last words in your signature are "Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it". I thought that meant you are an RC supporter?
"Royal Chump" is a term Kookie coined a few years ago. RCI changed some of their policies for diamond members-many of their former benefits/perks RCI changed to that they had to be diamond plus to receive-many former RCI loyalists were very upset. I think diamond plus is 20 cruises and diamond 10 cruises-so a big difference

Me? You see I call myself an equal opportunity cruiser-although I have taken 18 cruises-I still have no real perks with any cruiseline. That is okay. I always enjoy myself. I really enjoy going on different lines-I embrace the differences of each line-no same-o same-o for me!

I choose my cruises, by itinerary, price, and ship-not cruiseline.

I have now achieved-
146 days total
Old September 11th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdenv24 View Post

Meg is only partly right - the Royal Chump is more for the fact that another posting sight was caught out on having profilic postings singing the praises of RCL on their site all the time. They were then rewarded with invitations to the inagural sailings of the Oasis and Allure.

RCL was the one to do this but with the other sites blessing so to speak.

At the time they kicked the Diamonds out of the Conceirge lounge I was already diamond plus so that did not effect me. It had no bearing on me being a "Royal Chump".

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old September 11th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
This reminds me of a poster on the HAL board who never purchased insurance because he had "good health and was only 42". Well, he expected HAL to reinburse when he had an heart attack a week before his cruise and missed it. His heath was not as good as he thought I suppose and many of us (I suppose this is one of those situations Blueliner is referring) told him that is what insurance is for-the unexpected, we may not be in as good of health as we think.

BTW- we also did not buy insurance for years, because we thought we did not need it-being in good health. Then my husband had emergency gall bladder surgery at age 45 about a month before our cruise. Now he was well enough for the cruise-but this got us thinking. What if that had happened on the cruise? You see, unknowingly he had had other attacks, which the family doctor misdiagnosed, I suppose he thought hubby would have went to emergency room if his bellyache was THAT bad-instead of waiting and coming into his office. This attack happened after having a rich meal of manicotti and cheesecake- ! The very type thing he is apt to do on cruises-over eat rich food. From then on we bought insurance, and thankfully have never had to use it!

There was another instance of a guy who had an heart attack on Carnival Miracle the first night of his cruise about 6 years ago. He was in his early 50's and also had bought no insurance. Carnival however, gave him a free cruise, off season and only an inside cabin, since this had happened to him. Now this did not pay his medical bill on ship, or his emergency flight back home, but he appreciated their kindness and he accepted that cruise, upgrading the difference of price for a balcony out of his own pocket a few months later when he was recovered. He also bought insurance after that. He said for the cost of medical expenses he could have had a couple of cruises, but he was just grateful to Carnival to still be alive-as he had "died" in the show lounge and had been revived by the Miracle Dr.

Blueliner, no Carnival did not need to give him that off season cruise in an inside cabin, and no one would have thought badly of Carnival if they hadn't. I do believe Carnival knew this would give them "good press" as this had been posted on another message forum. Carnival is not my favorite line for sure, but one thing for sure I can't knock them for what they do in these type situations.
Generally, I would agree with all you've said. We always have insurance so I know we would have been fine.

My issue is - RCL did not make any attempt to contact those who were missing. They ship left earlier than it was supposed to (I understand weather related and a must) however they use their contract to say they are not responsible for a litany of things - the same contract should have them responsible when they are not able to uphold their end of it.

It just doesn't compare to all the examples you have given. By leaving early (again, they had to) they did not live up to their end of their own contact.

And they certainly could have attemped to contact those who were not late and by their own admission they DID NOT.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old September 12th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Felix, I was not agreeing or disagreeing. I was just pointing out People really should buy insurance and also that Blueliner is correct that we WILL tell those who complain that they should have gotten insurance.

Even Dorman (CC name)who had the heart attack on the Miracle-IF he had complained that Carnival did not reimburse him for his lost cruise, I and others would have told him he should have bought insurance. As I said, it was simply a plus,that Carnival went beyond what they needed to do in giving him that off season cruise.

As I said also, I do believe, (since this was posted on CC) that Carnival KNEW they would get "good press" and actually this was inexpensive advertizing for them. All they had to do was give this man a cruise off season and in an inside cabin, and many would read this and think well of Carnival.

I have now achieved-
146 days total
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
Felix, I was not agreeing or disagreeing. I was just pointing out People really should buy insurance and also that Blueliner is correct that we WILL tell those who complain that they should have gotten insurance.

Even Dorman (CC name)who had the heart attack on the Miracle-IF he had complained that Carnival did not reimburse him for his lost cruise, I and others would have told him he should have bought insurance. As I said, it was simply a plus,that Carnival went beyond what they needed to do in giving him that off season cruise.

As I said also, I do believe, (since this was posted on CC) that Carnival KNEW they would get "good press" and actually this was inexpensive advertizing for them. All they had to do was give this man a cruise off season and in an inside cabin, and many would read this and think well of Carnival.
I should never post when I'm tired. I understand what you mean now. And I agree - no insurance - cruiser's loss. But once in awhile there are special circumstances under which the client has met their obligations and the supplier has not. This is, in my opinion, what has happened with this event.

I also agree that Carnival did not do this completely out of the goodness of their hearts but what they did got them more good will than they could have bought.

By the same token, RCL has taken a drubbing and it will only add to all the previous things they have done wrong over the last couple of years. Eventually this will pay down for RCL.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old September 13th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Exactly, RCI missed a golden opportunity for "cheap" advertizing versus what they pay for advertizing-this would have been a drop in the bucket.

I do agree they should have at least attempted to contact those scheduled to cruise.

I have now achieved-
146 days total
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Familiar Face

Well, i will be purchasing insurance for my first cruise, thank you all for the stories. I am a newbie and don't know what happened and what you all are debating.

Is there a thread i can go back to when this all began and is it in the RCI posts or somewhere else? Sounds like a real mess for all involved thats for sure!

Kerry
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Kerr, welcome to Cruisemates...This sure was a hot topic! Read here to get the jist...

Cruisemates Blog Carnival 1 – Royal Caribbean 0 – Kuki

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; September 22nd, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
First Mate

Honestly, Royal Caribbean is the 2nd largest cruise line due to their financial holdings - has nothing to due with this situation. Could they have attempted to "text" the passengers, sure - but what about the old people who don't use text messaging? They then would have complained they didn't get a phone call on their cell, wait..then their would be the people who don't have cell phones...so they probably would have excepted a smoke signal from the cruise line? This is a lot of would have, should have, could have...it's a shame what occurred and it's good to see the line is attempting to right a wrong.

Sailing in hurricane season is the cheapest time of year for folks to go on a cruise, they received a price reduction for that reason - so I would hope they would be a bit more sensitive to these types of weather matters out of controls of the cruise line?