I purchased a So. Caribbean Princess cruise and later found a Royal cruise for $600 less. I feel that Princess goes to better ports, but my question is, would it be worth it to cancel my Princess cruise and go with Royal? Both ships are in port 5 of the 7 days and two ports are the same sailing out of Puerto Rico. I am also finding that RCL land excursions are much more expensive than Princess. Please advise!!!
When is this cruise? With that depending, there could be cancelation fees to pay...
It is not until April 2012, so I have plenty of time. I dont have to pay either cruiseline until January. It is just that the price is such a big difference that I cannot believe Princess is so much more expensive. Around $600.
Princess is quite often more costly than RCL. However, if the ports are what you are looking at then you need to think about it. Not so many kids on Princess but again - it depends on what you want and what how much pain your wallet will be in.
We're taking a Princess at the end of November. It's going to 3 ports we haven't been to and there won't be so many kids. I haven't really compared pricing to RCL as Princess is offering what I want.
Next up - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)
44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:
and some unknown tub
Just keep in mind also, if you do decide to cancel, it will take one or two billing periods for your deposit to be refunded, in the meantime, you'll have to fork over a new deposit...Just something else to think about before you make any major changes...Funny, how when booking a cruise and paying the deposit, it is all rather quick, but quite the opposite when you want to get a credit for the deposit, that take a long time, hummm?
Ahh. I didnt think of that. One or two billing cycles is a long time. I guess, at least by December, I will have had a lot of time to search for the rate to go down on Princess and to make up my mind by then. Its just that it is a lot of money to think about.
Golden, I really think You should go more by what you want and if you do not mind the $600 difference, if you really want certain ports. With me, if I have never been to any of the ports, I would not mind so much and would go for the cheaper cruise, but if I had done those ports previously, I may would want to go to different ports and see them.
However, in my case, I prefer smaller ships and I would go for the radiance class ship for a southern Caribbean cruise. I am not sure if Serenade of the Seas, or Brilliance of the seas, will be doing cruises out of San Juan in August 2012 though. I know Serenade did them in Aug 2011 and Brilliance will do them in fall 2012. Not sure if there is a few months with no radiance class ship cruise from San Juan when RCI makes the switch of ships.
Another thing you may want to think about, if a cruise is not selling well, the cruiseline may drop the price about 4 months out. If you really want the best price over particular ports, you may want to wait until spring 2012 to change cruises.
I want to say too, I know credit cards say it can take 1 to 2 billing cycles to be refunded, but the one time I switched cruiselines for a cruise, I got my refund that same cycle. I guess it is "the luck of the draw." Or perhaps, it was because the cruise I had originally booked was cancelled for an extended drydock? Plus, it was the same parent company for both cruises. I had booked originally a RCI cruise and I replaced that cruise with a Celebrity cruise.
Equal opportunity cruiser since 1998-4 Carnival, 4 RCI, 3 HAL, 3 Princess, 4 Celebrity, 3 NCL, 1 Disney
I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total
I havent been to any of the Ports. It just seems like I would like the excursions on the more expensive cruise better. However, $600 is a lot of money. That would be my fun money for the week on the less expensive cruise! I have already paid half of the Princess cruise but I wound up putting a deposit down on RCL (which is the cheaper cruise). Now I am just going to wait to see if the price goes down on Princess. The cruise is in April 2012, so I am hoping that the rates go down by December. I have to pay in full by January, so hopefully this strategy will work.