Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Nov. 12, 2012 11 Night Med. Cancelled

Just got a phone call that our cruise set for November 2012 was cancelled. No explanation other than the ship was being redeployed. Offered to rebook on several Holy Land cruises and a whopping $200 stateroom on board credit.

We have cruised a couple of times in the past on Princess. Now that we are retired, was looking forward trying RCL. I had my doubts reading some of the other bad experiences, but I guess they are confirmed now.

Back to the drawing (planning) board.
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Boy, how disappointing for you, especially when the cruise was so close.What would drive me crazy is, I would want a better explanation than they gave you. So all your air is in place, and you have to find a cruise for those dates? Is RCI going to pay the change fees for you, for another date? The $200.00 would not make me happy either....

I will say, while this is very frustrating, when the time is right, and you find another cruise that suits all your needs, give them another chance.

I hope it all works out for you.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 19th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Sorry for your inconvenience. That's a bummer, but thanks for the interesting news.

My sister & BIL are currently on the cruise. It was to be the 1st back to Egypt too. I wonder why?

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old October 20th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It's always the pits for those it happens to, but honestly it's no unheard of circumstances for all the cruise lines. This isn't just an RCI thing.

Yours was affected due to a decision to reploy the ship, other times it can be caused if someone charters the ship.

The only good news is you have a year to find a replacement cruise. Hopefully one of the other lines is doing a similar itinerary to what you had planned.

If by chance you did have your air booked already, do make sure the cruise line is aware. In these situations they normally will reimburse your airline change fee.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Captain

Wow that is so frustrating, it would be interesting to know where the original cruise was meant to be visiting. I know that a lot of the Med countries are in turmoil with civil unrest at the moment over the sensible cutbacks being required by their governments, so that may be a factor.

Plus of course a lot of the African nations are still having their own civil unrest at the governments & ruling powers. I am surprised to see that Snoozeman's sister's cruise was even considering Egypt at this moment in time.

As for getting information, huh, good luck with that. Last year we were booked to go on an amazing cruise on a very small ship (Swan Hellenic's Minerva) including Aqaba, Suez Canal, Egypt, Ephesus etc. etc.
We heard a couple of weeks before leaving that the ship had broken down with propulsion issues, and a few days later had to limp into another port for repairs. So imagine how we felt when Swan left a message on our answerphone saying that our cruise had been cancelled, due to the ship having a longer than planned dry dock refit - hmmmm not quite true. The message was left on the Wednesday before the Saturday we were due to fly out Our compensation (apart from our fare returned), 200 towards another cruise to be taken by the end of the year, but she had finished operating that cruise, so we lost out.

We called them & asked if we could book last year for this, "no". Oh how about letting us have a ship visit when the ship returns to the UK (and about 30 miles from us), eventual answer "no".

Gee thanks guys for your wonderful customer service - NOT!

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+1), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura, Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Boy, how disappointing for you, especially when the cruise was so close.What would drive me crazy is, I would want a better explanation than they gave you. So all your air is in place, and you have to find a cruise for those dates? Is RCI going to pay the change fees for you, for another date? The $200.00 would not make me happy either....

I will say, while this is very frustrating, when the time is right, and you find another cruise that suits all your needs, give them another chance.

It said Nov 2012, over 1 year away. Plenty of time, I would think.
Old October 20th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Ok, I guess reading a post right before I go to bed, is not a good idea.

Look at the header..I read the 11 day cruise part as Nov 11th...as Lily Tomlin used to say, nevermind....

Old October 20th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:

Linda, a year away-2112-not 2011.

to the Op-this happened to us- a cruise was about a year out-and the cruise was canceled for an extended drydock. We were disappointed also-but we found another cruise with a similar itinerary and we had a wonderful time.

This cruise may have also been chartered. It happens a lot on HAL. I have heard that Rosie O' Donnell charters NCL ships very often. I believe this can happen on any line-as the old saying goes "money talks."

Just find another cruise with a similar itinerary.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Constellation November 24, 2014
Old October 20th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Ok, I guess reading a post right before I go to bed, is not a good idea.

Look at the header..I read the 11 day cruise part as Nov 11th...as Lily Tomlin used to say, nevermind....

! and I typed 2112-instead of 2012-don't think you can book a cruise over a hundred years out.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Constellation November 24, 2014
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Admiral

And Lily Tomlin should have been, Gilda Radners, Emily Litella...oy vey!