Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Familiar Face

Red face new to RCCL

We are going on our first RCCL cruise, Liberty of the Sea Jan 7th 2012. We have only done Carnival. What do we have to look forward to in comparion?
Booe's Mom
Old October 29th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Familiar Face

Red face

We have cruised Carnival Victory, Splendor, and Dream.
Booe's mom
Old October 29th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Well, to begin with your cabin size on the Liberty will be smaller than on Carnival, for 1st timers, that can be a bit of a shock.

RCI is not getting the raves in the food department, as they have in the past. That said, you will not go hungry,and you will find tasy dishes, all over the ship.

RCI has wonderful entertaiment,and the promenade is unique to this line..Parades and "outside" cafes are great for people watching. I think the flow rider and rock wall make for unique optinos for the adventuresome cruiser.

All in all, I do think you picked a great ship to experience what RCI has to offer...you will enjoy your cruise.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 29th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think, first off, you'll notice how beautiful the ship is, decorations, art work, etc. You may or may not, see a bit more fine tuned service level on Royal Caribbean. Sometimes, its just the little things that you can see a difference in. A lot of cruisers swear by the food on Carnival, but my last cruise on Royal Caribbean last week, I thought the food was excellent, in both presentation and taste/quality.

What kind of dining did you get, traditional or open seating?? I actually only ate in the dinning room two times, once for dinner and once for breakfast. We found the buffet to have a much larger selection for all meals, plus great service and so much quicker. I didn't much care for sitting for dinner for over 2-1/2 hours..

I also absolutely loved all the different venues of entertainment on Allure of the Seas. You will also be able to see an ice show, be sure to get tickets for that once they are available. They are for no charge, you just need to go pick them up.

Please, report back after your Liberty cruise and fill us in on any differences, good or bad you encounter on your cruise. Have a wonderful time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 29th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Familiar Face

Red face

Well I did know that the cabins were smaller, not thrilled with that, surprised to hear the food is not as good. Carnival does have good food. But we are going on RCI for all of the activities. We range from 63-1 year old. We are all active so the rock climbing was the ice skating, the character breakfast for my grandkids. Well that is why we chose the ship! This is the first cruise for my son's mother in law (63) she said she might even try the flow rider! lol
It will also be my husband and my 35th wedding anniversary!
Old October 29th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Congrats on your 35th..it's a milestone these days...As far as the flow rider...If the 63 years old, is in great shape, good for her..I am envious. Make sure she has travel insurance just in case..I have seen some hard knocks there, even though it's padded...You will all enjoy the Liberty...I sailed her sister ship,the Freedom.

Old October 29th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Familiar Face

Just talked to a friend that her and her husband are big cruisers and they really like RCI but like Donna they didn't eat in the dining room very much. They felt that RCI was just a step above in service. Well I'm excited, but I will miss ironing my clothes, really picky about wrinkled clothes.
Old October 29th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Use the bathroom as a steamer,or bring a small travel teamer..layer your clothes in cleaner bags or bubble pack....

Old October 29th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Familiar Face

Question

I wonder if that spray wrinkle remover from Downey work for wrinkles. They let you bring a small steamer?
Booe's mom
Old October 29th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Admiral

I know many have good luck with that spray..I always bring a mini steamer...when I am finished, I place it on a damp facecloth to cool it down quickly.