Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Problems redeeming cruise coupons

My husband and I and our friends who travel with us are having a problem with redeeming cruise coupons we received from Royal Caribbean due to a cruise we booked to travel back in April of 2011 that was cancelled. As part of our reimbursement Royal Caribbean issued us all coupons to travel on another cruise to be used up within a years time. Last week when we went to book a cruise with Royal Caribbean and redeem the coupons our friends coupons were accepted but my husbands and mine were not. We have filed complaints but keep getting the run around from Royal Caribbean and now today I find out our friends coupons have been revoked. Has anyone had trouble with Royal Caribbean doing this kind of thing before and does anyone know of whom I could contact regarding this situation. Of course calling Royal Caribbean and asking for the President only gets me an operator and asking for anyone close to the President results in only another operator. All informing me that we should never have been issued those coupons in the first place. So now we are out even more money lost to this company.
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

RCI did the cancelling on a ship you were booked on, gave you compensation with coupons, and, now added a dash of grief trying to use them, well that sure stinks...I wonder why, your husband's is going through, but not yours? Add to the mix, your friends are now void... ?? Something is not kosher, and, trying to get higher up, will get you nowhere, sadly.

What has your travel agent said,an and, what are they doing on your behalf? If this was booked directly with RCI, it might get even more tricky.
Keep us informed of your mission...good luck.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

What was the reason the coupons could not be used? Was this in the year time frame....just wondering? I know sometimes, there are restrictions as to how and when to use them, doesn't seem fair if they were the ones that cancelled the oritional cruise...

Do, keep us posted, something doesn't sound right here..

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Also, the cruise you booked originally, was in April, so you would have till l next April to use them, working within their rules for your voucher. The fact that RCI "revoked" your friends vouchers seems highly unusual...

Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

The coupons were $480.00 per person and had to be used by April 2012. Our travel agent has had one operator fro RCI tell her to just tell her clients "sorry too bad" and when our agent was called the other day by RCI to say that our friends' coupons were no longer being accepted she told the operator that this was unacceptable that operator said "oh well" and hung up on her. Needless to say our agent was not impressed with RCI and the flipant way their operators handle situations. We were given these coupons by RCI in the first place as our original cruise was cancelled and RCI does not give cash back so our money came back to us in the way of coupons. So now the coupons are not being accepted and we are out the money as well.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Your travel agent has the abiility to go up the chain of command to work on your behalf. Documenting everthing, and, not giving up, is what they need to do for you.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Where are you located? RCL always return all funds on the manner in which they were received when a cruise is cancelled. They do not hold them. That is illegal. Are these coupons a "sorry" gift? Are you trying to book over Christmas/New Years? Usually those coupons aren't good for holiday sailings. Are you trying to use them as the deposit? Normally you have to make a deposit on a cruise then apply the coupons.

I'm certainly not defending RCL, but I have had letters of credit and coupons several times for clients and have had no problem having them applied.

Has your TA just applied them thru cruisingpower? There is something about this that just doesn't sound right.

They would and will give you or your TA a reason for not applying them. Find out that reason.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
Welcome Newcomer

As far as we know these coupons were issued to us instead of the cash we put down on the original cruise. I don't think they were a "sorry gift". We are trying to use them as towards a caribbean cruise to be taken the first week of December so no major holidays involved there and of course the $480. each coupon does not cover the cruise and we pay the rest in cash ourselves. The only response our TA is getting from RC is "the coupons should not have been issued in the first place". Why they should not have been issued we do not know. We are still hoping that we get a better response from RC as our TA is trying to go up the corporate ladder of complaints. I will keep you informed of how this works out. Also this would be our first cruise as we have never done this before so this is not us trying to scam RC or any other cruise lines as we are "cruise virgins" . Also our first time every getting a coupon to use but as far as I know when I go to the grocery store with a coupon I look at the expiry date first and the fine print to see how I can apply it towards the product and the store usually honour them, so I don't know how RC can retract these coupons without company no longer existing.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:25 AM
Admiral

There is something really wrong with this. Did you get all your deposit back in cash (or on your cc) from the cancelled cruise? That should have happened. Are you not in the U.S. or Canada? When RCL or any of their companies cancel a cruise all monies are immediately refunded to the purchaser. This sounds like it didn't happen to you. You didn't recieve all your monies back??? That is so wrong.

I would suggest you call RCL yourself, ask for resolutions and find out what is going on. Do not tell them you have a new booking, just ask them what the coupons mean and why didn't you get all your money back in the first place.

There is just something really wrong here.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
Admiral

This is what I was thinking as well. If RCI pulled this cruise, automatic refunds should have been given.

So, they took your deposit, and didn't give it back,and now won't give your the vouchers they say you didn't deserve in the first place

Your TA,is your lifeline here. I'm so sorry this has happened on your first cruise. Thinking you are doing everything right, and having this happen is questionable,and we hope it works out.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:45 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We are in Canada. From the origianl cruise we recevied money back (minus the travel insurance) and we each got a $480.00 coupon each toward our next cruise with RC to be used by April 2012. You're not kidding something isn't right here. I have called to the RC head office in Florida and an operator there told me that our file is being looked at by another operator and that operator should be getting back to our TA soon. Well it's been over a week now and our TA and myself are getting no where. I have even posted on RC facebook "Ask Adam" who happens to be the president to please have someone in his office to contact me regarding this.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Ok your in Canada - so am I. Here's the deal as I see it. You should have received every cent you paid in a refund. Depending on who you had your insurance with, your TA should have refunded that as well. The $480 should have been a "sorry" certificate which sometimes they give and sometimes they don't. Once you have it, they should honour it.

Now, I am a TA in Canada and it pains me to say this, but I question your TA. When you paid your deposit did it go straight to RCL or did it go through your TA's business credit card? Did you pay by cash or credit card?

Do you still have your original booking number? Call resolutions and question your refund and tell them you want to know why they are not honouring the certificate. Quite frankly, as I said, something is really wrong here.

However, first question - did you get a refund of every cent you paid for your deposit?

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old November 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I have just been on the phone to TA who finally heard from RC. Our friends coupons have now been accepted again as in the first place, but mine and my husbands will not be accepted as stated before "we should not have received them in the first place". My TA now has the president email of RC and hoping to hear back from someone in his office regarding this. Back in April when we chose the option to cancel the coupons were part of the total reimbursement. So we got credit back to our charge card, a cheque from the travel insurance company and 2 coupons for the grand total of the whole flight, hotel, cruise minus what we paid for travel insurance. I have been on the phone to anyone I can think of to try and get this resloved and my last call will be a good travel lawyer. Does anyone no of a good one in the Toronto Ontario area.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:39 PM
Admiral

The actions of RCI are so ring around the rosy, it's amazing. Sadly I would say a lawyer will cost you more then you would get.

My suggestion would be, go to the tv/radios stations, and, see if they have a consumer reporter, who gets the deals done! We have two in the Boston area that work magic..Bad publicity is something no company wants, but, you need to get what you had, back. Good luck.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffycat View Post
I have just been on the phone to TA who finally heard from RC. Our friends coupons have now been accepted again as in the first place, but mine and my husbands will not be accepted as stated before "we should not have received them in the first place". My TA now has the president email of RC and hoping to hear back from someone in his office regarding this. Back in April when we chose the option to cancel the coupons were part of the total reimbursement. So we got credit back to our charge card, a cheque from the travel insurance company and 2 coupons for the grand total of the whole flight, hotel, cruise minus what we paid for travel insurance. I have been on the phone to anyone I can think of to try and get this resloved and my last call will be a good travel lawyer. Does anyone no of a good one in the Toronto Ontario area.
What did the cheque from the insurance company cover? It could well be that RCL is saying you have been reimbursed for everything therefore they don't owe you anything. I don't agree with that - if they cancelled the cruise and gave you options, they should have stayed with them.

Why did they accept your friend's coupons and not yours?

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
The actions of RCI are so ring around the rosy, it's amazing. Sadly I would say a lawyer will cost you more then you would get.

My suggestion would be, go to the tv/radios stations, and, see if they have a consumer reporter, who gets the deals done! We have two in the Boston area that work magic..Bad publicity is something no company wants, but, you need to get what you had, back. Good luck.
You're right about that Trip. Anything is suppose to be filed in Florida. Although I would suggest she take it up with Consumer Services at the federal government level. They have dealt with cruiselines trying to rip of Canadians before, such as the fuel surcharge when they were forced to backtrack.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Ok, I totally don't understand why, they would re-accept your friends coupons, but not yours?? Keep us posted as you get more info....Good luck.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 3rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Okay, here's the update. Our TA (big well known company who will remain nameless at this time) has just gotten back to me with the results. RC is still standing by their "we should not have received coupons in the first place" . Our TA company has decided to pay the amount of the coupons and book us on our caribbean cruise and they will fight RC themselves for the money. The TA company is going to contact the insurance company who also delt with RC about this screw up as that is why you buy insurance in the first place. So I am packing a bag going on my first cruise and hope everything else goes well and I just hope our names on the cruise are not "red flagged" as problem travellers. Thanks to everyone who responded to my posts as you gave me a lot of insight.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Kudo's to your TA, for stepping up....this would be a company I would recommend to anyone, after doing the right thing by you . They will be forceful, now that the burden is on them,and I bet you they will get their money.

Now, that this is behind you, get yourself in cruise mode, because befor you know it yu will be sippping foo foo drinks on deck.

Thanks for comimng back and letting us know the good outcome for you..Now, I want you to promise, to come back,and tell us how much you enjoyed the cruise. We want to hear it all....Yay for you all!

Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Good for your TA. They can battle against RCL better than you can.

Go on your first cruise, have a fantastic time and forget about this for now. But please let us know the final outcome after your return.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old November 3rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Great news for you and kudos to your T/A...hopefully, they will get the moneys from the coupons and you get to cruise. With all this coupon/money talk, I don't think I know what ship you are going on??

Anyhow, now you can start the actual planning, etc....Keep us posted and let us know what else you need answers to, excursions, tipping, food.....

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 6th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Captain

"RCI" has really been dropping the ball on customer service but wanted to throw in another recent success in doing battle with them as a T/A. The representative took the extra effort to resolve my customer's issue rather that "just look into it." Felt good because like several of us on the boards representing the T/A perspective, it does get old having to fight an uphill battle with them most of the time.

Kudos for the agency in this case too for putting the customer first!
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Just to keep eveyone updated our TA head office has called me to let me know that they are fighting RCI head offices on this one. Especially since they accepted are friends coupons first, then revoked them, then reinstated them and not to accept ours at all. Also our TA has the entire break down of all that was reimbursed to us from the original cruise (which option we chose to cancel due to government issueing a travel advisery) from the insurance company and RCI. I think RCI has something wrong imputted in their computer files on us. Hope to hear from head office in a few days about the outcome but in the meantime we are booked to go and I am hoping this will all be behind us so that we can relax and enjoy it. Thanks to everyone again for all your input , comments and suggestions.
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Hi Riffy,
Glad to hear you are all ready to go again, may this cruise be filled with sun and fun...Do, keep us updated as to how Royal Caribbean deals with this issue.

Message Boards Moderator