Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2011, 04:40 PM
Familiar Face

Default Falmouth: Questions

I heard that Falmouth is not yet fully developed and that it's not a good idea to go around by yourself.

We've beeen to Ochos Rios (Dunn's River Falls, etc) and also to Montego Bay.

We thought that maybe we'd go to Negril for the day? Is this doable? What's the best way to get there? Or he safest way to get there and back? Arew we better off takingthe ship's tour to get there? Any other suggestions as to what to do in Falmouth?

BTW, we're newbies with regards to Oasis. Any tips or suggestions?

Responses would e appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2011, 05:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

First-time poster, first cruise was last week on the Voyager with a day stop in Falmouth. The town is definitely not "fully developed", and unless you're a seasoned traveler and comfortable finding your way around new (and "not fully developed") areas, you should probably pre-book your excursion to Montego Bay or the Falls. If you're only in port for the day, I don't think a trip to Negril is feasible, as it's about 2+? hours away.

We were told there's not much beyond shopping to do in Falmouth and that's fairly accurate if you're looking for snorkeling or beaches, etc. I spent an hour+ in Falmouth (outside of the port's secure shopping compound) sitting in front of a bakery with a few locals and had a lovely chat. The locals are friendly and thrilled about the new port, but when you first exit the port compound, you'll get hit with a stream of hawkers pushing tchotckes, hair braids and tour offers. It can be overwhelming, for sure.

If you do roll into Falmouth without booking a trip in advance, definitely look for a driver with Juta, and ask around for Donna (there aren't many female drivers). For $150, she drove us to a beach in Montego Bay, gave us interesting tidbits about the country, food, etc. along the way, and took me on a special side trip for a few foodie items I wanted to check out. $150 is steep, but if you split it with a group of 4-6, it's still $150.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Just found the card Donna gave me with her number on it, in case you want to book her in advance with a group: (876) 394-2240