Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 24th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default RCI to put iPads in cabins

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I think it's coming for sure.

I just wrote about the Fun Hubs on the Carnival Magic and mentioned that they really won't work as hoped as an information system until there is a device in every cabin. Then the system could use it to deliver information to the guests. The hubs in the public areas could then be used when the guests are out of the cabin.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old November 25th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I can't say enough about all the technology they have put into their newest ships. You can find out how full any restaurant is at any given time, etc....I understand they want to fit their fleet with all this new stuff, including the i-pod docking stations in each cabin.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 25th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It'll be interesting. They are going to have to figure out a way to keep people from packing them

And parents are going to have to be careful about their kids signing up, and going web surfing, facebooking, etc. with them, while they are out of the cabins.

No doubt maintenance of these will turn out to be a significant issue for RCI as well.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 25th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Admiral

I wonder if these specific iPads will have limitations, as to what can be done on it, and where you can go on them. I bet they will have security chips imbedded, so, if you try to pack it, or remove it by hand, something will go off.

Remember the endless thread we had about the kid who left his on the bunk,and, it got crunched? Picture that, times a thousand!

Old November 26th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

my company issued ipads to our employees. the IT department has put limited availablilty on the ipads. they have the company related apps; but u can't surf the net, and u can't check personal email on them. I suspect Royal has already got a hold on this
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old November 26th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Admiral

We had enough trouble with the menus on Eclipse in Qsine!!
Old November 26th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Apparently guests are going to be allowed to carry the Ipads around the ship, for their use.

Sure there will some limitations, but you can use them for WiFi...which I suspect many parents will find out, too late, when they see the WiFi chges and on their shipboard account.

I can envision the lines at guest relations of parents who didn't understand that their kiddies spending the day surfing the net at the pool cost $$.

Also wonder how many will get dipped in the pools, or left laying around, etc.

I would imagine RCI has given these issues some thought, and hopefully have come up with a plan.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:37 PM
First Mate

This is a snapshot of my reply to a similar thread started by my UK board administrators.
http://www.cruises.co.uk/109-cruise_news/24530-ipads_all_staterooms_what_splend_our_idea.html

Quote:
One of my predications last year was that this would eventually happen as it is a a great cost saver for the cruise line on printing the daily news when you consider the paper and ink and time to all cabins each day.
At what point does the off the ship WiFi content get charged as it is an easy step to browse the news onboard and leap to the bundled Internet news you get at home. It will probably work much like I've seen on Princess where some sites are free and you do not have to sign in to your account.
One thing about these tablets (IPad and others) on a ship as seen by myself is a lot of folks think the power on/off button disconnected them from the ships WiFi Internet account when infact they had to log off from a popup secondary window which is hard to find on these tablets.

The other point is the ship's internal WiFi access speed will probably be just fine but will it be acceptable for outside WiFi access. Certainly our experience with Princess on WiFi and Internet speed in our last three trips(2010/2011) is dismal but folks who have been on RCL per my UK board suggest it is better.

Now as to loosing the tablet,
I have a sneaky impression :eek:, much like your bathrobes, a charge of probably $350 - $400 (I read an article that the Apple profit margin is about 1/2 the retail price) will be applied to your account if not docked in its cradle on the last day.
On the other hand they might place a deposit on your account which is removed in some secret manner.
Thoughts /Rob
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:47 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
We had enough trouble with the menus on Eclipse in Qsine!!
Good obs John,
If I'm a good IT CEO for a cruise line, my presentation would have included the large potential cost savings in eliminating printing and labour of daily news, menus, advertising, queries about account status but coupled with the very large increase of future revenue by using these devices.
Old November 27th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Captain

Smile

What about those of us who are electronicly challenged I would hope there would be some help in useing this thing.Might take all trip to figure it out! Not everyone would be able to pick it up and know what there doing
Old November 27th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Admiral

I am sure what can be seen on the iPad, will still be on the tv. for people who don't want to deal with it.

Old December 6th, 2011, 10:08 PM
First Mate

I think from a technology standpoint, internet based LCD / LED televisions would have been a better option. The ipad is good but the liability you assume by having one in your room is pretty high. Be real with yourself, sh*t happens and it would suck to have a $700 charge on your sign and sail because you broke an ipad.
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:06 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG View Post
I think from a technology standpoint, Internet based LCD / LED televisions would have been a better option. The IPad is good but the liability you assume by having one in your room is pretty high. Be real with yourself, sh*t happens and it would suck to have a $700 charge on your sign and sail because you broke an IPad.
You and I are on the same wavelength as I made that same point on my UK board and here earlier. I;d even hate to think of someone flashing into your unlocked room or your family member who (whoops) took it off the ship lookimg for free WiFi and lost it.
I'd hope it will be equipped with Radio frequency identification (RFID) tags so one has the ability to control its movements and location.

The LED Flat TV's are great as we know them but even Princess on some of its ships do not have ones account access and the remotes suck as to navigation, certainly the newer models with WiFi or even cabled connections can offer access but it is the potential revenue generation of these product (Tablets) that is the key to my mind with cruisers of today.

Interesting in I read an article by the Cunard CEO on his blog where he indicated that having access to your account and other like info via flat screen TV's was a very expensive proposition.
A refit might remove older TV's for LED/LCD's but interactive is another decision and its possible this is the option.
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:11 PM
First Mate

Rob,

what I find amazing is that RCCL doesn't already have an option to book excursions or see your Sign and Sail account via your in cabin television. For some reason I thought they did. I know that I've been able to book excursions and see my S&S account balance on a couple of my Carnival Cruises.

New model internet based TV's actually come with a keyboard for navigation. I'm not in charge of making any IT (this is more of an IT logistical nightmare in terms of hardware and bandwidth capabilities) decisions but I'm thinking this decision could have been better thought out.

On another note, I guess they could use the FindMe app to locate any "misplaced" ipads but you'd have to be connected to some sort of wi-fi in order for it to transmit any signal. An RF transmitter would be good but is the cruiseline going to run a check before they leave every port? If not; the technology would be useless. A GPS tracker would would be the ideal implementation but what's the cost for that? Someone may be getting fired over this one.. lol
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old December 12th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can look at your account and book shore excursions on Royal Caribbean, have been for years. Now, the newer ships, Oasis and Allure, you can do a lot more through your TV and throughout the entire ship. If you want to see how full a certain restaurant or dinning room, you can look on the computers that are all over the ship. The newer ships are quite hi-tech, I was amazed. There was also an Ipod docking station in each cabin and use of wireless computer if you cared to.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 12th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Familiar Face

Apple is a totally brilliant company. Just think if 1 or 2% of guests on each ship fall in love with the ipad and just HAVE to buy one, what the sales increase is. It's great exposure for them and to me if its all controlled and explained well in advance, its a win win!
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:48 PM
First Mate

True but how many people come on board ready to part with $700+ and be able to declare it with all the other purchases.

One thing for sure, as you use more technology on a ship for passengers you need an alternative option in case things go crazy.
Next thing which I read about is an Apple shop on board
Actually the new Celebrity Eclipse will have a minishop and courses for all things Apple.

Ahoy! Celebrity Cruise Lines welcomes an Apple Store on board | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:53 PM
First Mate

Shucks , they might as well provide an Ipad with a SIM card enlosed and get folks using SKYPE.
Latest reports still have Apple ahead.