Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2011, 04:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Anyone done a New Years Cruise?

Getting psyched up about our upcoming Mariner OTS cruise, Dec 26-Jan 3 out of Galveston. Will be my wife & I and our 3 sons (19,25,27) and their +1s. It's their Christmas from us this year, and a good way to get everyone together for a change.

We have done this same cruise before, but not sure what differences (if any)to expect over the Holidays. I know there will be more young people with school break. Anything different I should expect from RCL, or is it just another lap around the Gulf for them? Jingle Bells on the Steel Drums? Be nice if there's a special New Year's Eve event.

Just wanting to know what to expect from any of you who might have done the Holidays at Sea before. Thanks in advance for any input / suggestions...
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2011, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Hi Doug, obviously every cruise line is different, but hopefully you will have as good a time of it as we did on our very first cruise (Caribbean Christmas), and not wanting to give too much away, we would have to say seeing the ship all decorated up with trees, baubles, garlands etc. was beautiful. Then on Xmas Day we had the crew singing carols as we entered dinner.
On another line and more recently, apart from the decorations, and gingerbread house dispalys from the Food & Beverage teams, Santa turned up next to the stack then distributed gifts to the Children, and Egg Nog to the rest of us (yes it was cold)
Gifts suddenly appeared in the staterooms during the day, and we've had a magical chocolate display which kept replenishing itself overnight ;-)

The rest of the cruise entertainment was pretty standard, but those little extras made it special.

Hope your experience is as much fun.

Alan & Katrina.

btw, this reply to you in Fair Oaks Ranch, TX, comes from us in Fair Oak, Hampshire, GB

---
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old December 1st, 2011, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I cruised once over New Years, and while it was a great time, not sure I would do it again. Major expense and we also ran into some not so great weather, we actually were froze comming back from Nassau. Very festive onboard and cruised with an awesome group of Cruisemates....

I bet you have a wonderful time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 1st, 2011, 08:58 PM
Admiral

We did one New Years cruise and I loved it and will do another one when we can.
We had a great time, and everyone on board joined in on a great party.

It was a blast.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks all. Good to hear. I was hoping it was gonna be a bit more festive/seasonal than the usual Carribean cruise.

Looking forward to spending some quality time with the boys now that they're all 'out of short pants'. Hard to get the gang together with one spending most of his time in Iraq, one living 15 hours away, and one off in college. We figured the cruise venue beat sitting around at home and waiting for everyone to come home and 'visit'...

Donna, we're praying for decent weather, but that's always a gamble... Gonna start checking extended forecasts here in the next few weeks...
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Admiral

[QUOTE=Doug S;1403759]Thanks all. Good to hear. I was hoping it was gonna be a bit more festive/seasonal than the usual Carribean cruise.

QUOTE]

I am sure that it will be quite festive.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:20 AM
First Mate

Did Radiance of the Seas last year for new years out of tampa. It was really nice. On new years eve they did a big party in the centrum and dropped balloons and confetiti from the top of the centrum. Overall, very well done by the cruise line. Of course, the ship was fully decorated for Christmas as well (i.e., gingerbread village, etc.).
Old December 7th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

We did a New Years cruise on board Zaandam. They still have all of the Xmas trees up in every public lounge so you get to get some good Kodak moments (hm, maybe a Kodak moment is obsolete these days...) with the big tree in the two tiered main dining room. For NYEve, they had streamers and balloons in all of the rooms. Get to one and sit because everybody and their brother will suddenly come out of the woodwork in order to celebrate the Eve. You'll wonder where all of these "new" people came from as you never saw them before, and the public rooms will be especially crowded. They also gave us beaded necklaces with the year, sunglasses with the year, and clappers (plastic hands which you shake and they clap and make noises). They have a countdown, give out free champagne and hor d'oerves, and then at precisely 12:15 am, the room is empty, everyone going back to their staterooms to catch up on their sleep.

Spent Xmas on NCL last year and they had holiday carolers in the atrium Xmas Eve with a surprise visit from Santa. There were gingerbread houses and cookies all over, a Christmas tree contest with different departments from the ship entering (bakery made a baked goods tree, electrical made a tree with light fixtures, cords, etc...). Their rooms were also nicely decorated with a huge tree in the atrium. Santa paid a surprise visit, along with gifts for the children, on the Eve and the Day.

We spent the day in Nassau and went to the Sheraton Cable Beach Resort. Sunny and warm, but somewhat cool to go in the ocean or pool, although people did go swimming. While there, they also had a Santa appear who gave out gifts to the children. Later, the Junkanoo players/singers/dancers conducted a conga line around the pool/ocean area. Games were also played.

We brought some small decorations from the Dollar Store (a few strands of mini lights, some Santas on sleighs, small stockings and little ornamental trees to adorn our cabin. Our steward got a kick out of it and we were probably the only ones who had a flickering multi-colored window and balconied door!

Going on Millenium on the 22nd till the 26th to see how Celebrity does Xmas.

No matter where or how you spend the holiday, hoping you all have a great time and wishing all the best in the coming New Year! ho ho ho
Old December 7th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like they do it up right for the holidays. Really looking forward to sharing the time with family now that we're pretty much empty nesters.

Doug