Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2012, 01:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Does the location of the room matter?

We're planning on going on the Freedom of the Seas in May 2012 for our 2nd cruise. Does the location of the room matter? Should we try to get a room on the highest deck possible or go lower. Forward, aft, or midhsips?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:05 PM
Admiral

People always say/said get a cabin nearest dead centre of the ship, but I don't think this is anywhere as important as it was (if it ever was), we LOVE aft balcony cabins, & that is all we really want, it is very important to us. People say that a cabin is not important as "we never spend much time in it" I say this is something stated by those who have the cheapest cabins that nobody would want to spend any time in.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We prefer midship, near an elevator, sort of equidistant to everything..We have not been bothered by the noise of the elevator, or in and out passengers. Saying that, we also love the aft balcony. We had a corner aft on the Freedom,and it was huge, just a long walk to the cabin,enjoy your cruise.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by reactor97 View Post
We're planning on going on the Freedom of the Seas in May 2012 for our 2nd cruise. Does the location of the room matter? Should we try to get a room on the highest deck possible or go lower. Forward, aft, or midhsips?

thanks
Yes and no.

With the larger ships the old adage of being on a lower deck, midship, isn't too valid because the ships are quite stable. What is most important is to not get a cabin that is under the galley, lounge or the pool area. Under the galley you will have noise all night. Under the lounge you may have noise and music until late into the night. Under the pool deck you will have noise when the deck chairs are dragged across the deck in the early morning and evening.

The best is to have a cabin on a deck with cabins above and below you. This will be the quietest. If you have a mobility problem then being close to the elevators is a good idea.

Take care and enjoy your cruise, no matter what cabin you book.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

If walking is a problem then choose cabins that are fairly close in location to the places you will visit most - ie we always choose somethng under the area of the Windjammer, so we can run up and down without having to wait for elevators and we can get snacks without walking a mile each way. On the larger ships this can really add up. It doesn't matter to me if we are on the opposite end of the ship to the theater for example, as I know we'll only go there once a day, but casual dining, swimming pools and sports areas are where we will be heading to several times a day...
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

On Freedom of the Seas, the buffet and pool deck are high, so the higher you can get, the better. Most seem to use those areas more than the dinning rooms for example and the theater. Also a good idea to see what exactly is above and below your cabin, you really don't want any public areas above you for a noise factor.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Admiral

We prefer mid-ship and a lower level .
Old January 10th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Familiar Face

If you are thinking of a regular balcony cabin I would recommend deck 9 midship. Close to the elavators, pool deck and Windjammer but still one deck in between the pool deck and your cabin (means less noise).
Maybe an option is deck 7 corner aft, 7408 or 7708, as I think the balcony is huge, if I remember correctly.
Maybe deck 10 corner aft, 1400 and 1700, can be an option as I think those cabins are bigger with a big balcony, but maybe with less views from the windows (not sure though). One issue may be the location just one deck below Windjammer - you may be woken up for an early breakfast...

One more thing about noise; avoid cabins with connecting doors to the next cabin (for example 9612, 9614, 9616, 9618...) as you may get more noise from the connecting cabin.

/Erik
Old January 10th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

My last cruise on Allure did have a connecting door and while the noise wasn;t really a problem, the kids in that cabin, kept trying to open the door and turn the handle...OY.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Admiral

We prefer Midship upper decks.