Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:37 PM
Familiar Face

Default Mariner of the Seas

I'm going on my first cruise this March on Mariner of the Seas. I've tried doing research on this ship, but it seems everything I come across is "general". Is there anything specific anyone can tell me?
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Mich,
What is the itinary you will be doing?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
Familiar Face

From Galveston to Honduras, Belize, and Cozumel.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:43 PM
Admiral

I was going to offer to mail you the Capers, but we may be on the same cruise! Which week are you sailing? We will be on there twice, during March. First cruise is Feb 26-Mar 4 and then Mar 11-Mar 18. The week of Mar 4 will be with our DS, DIL and our granddaughter (who is 7).

Do you have specific questions? I have never been to Honduras, so we have hired a driver for the day. If you would like the name of the company I went with, I'd be glad to share.

What type of activities do you like? In Belize, definitely do a shore excursion of some sort. Cozumel is very safe and is great for shopping or picking a beach, independent of the cruise line.

Of course, I don't have to tell you that you will become addicted to cruising! Welcome aboard!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

There is also cave tubing and great snorkeling in Belize. It is never too early to start planning excursions, how exciting..

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:04 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow View Post
I was going to offer to mail you the Capers, but we may be on the same cruise! Which week are you sailing? We will be on there twice, during March. First cruise is Feb 26-Mar 4 and then Mar 11-Mar 18. The week of Mar 4 will be with our DS, DIL and our granddaughter (who is 7).

Do you have specific questions? I have never been to Honduras, so we have hired a driver for the day. If you would like the name of the company I went with, I'd be glad to share.

What type of activities do you like? In Belize, definitely do a shore excursion of some sort. Cozumel is very safe and is great for shopping or picking a beach, independent of the cruise line.

Of course, I don't have to tell you that you will become addicted to cruising! Welcome aboard!

We are on the same cruise! I'm going on the March 11-18.

I'm worried about excursions because I am a heavy person and a lot of the ones with weight limits will exclude me. I'm trying to find things I'm interested in that include my weight or don't have a limit. I really like to be near water, but I burn so easily. It hasn't been decided yet, but unless we find something else we like, my friend and I are doing the Black Pearl tour thing in Honduras. We're huge Pirates of the Caribbean fans. However, I feel like that excursion seems a bit like a cop out.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:01 PM
Admiral

I usually will book an excursion on my first visit to any port that I'm not familiar with. The last time we were in Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach. It was wonderful, in that it had lots of palm trees for shade, as well as a lot of umbrellas. Check it out, on the internet. There is a small charge for the chair, but it is a wonderful place to visit. Regarding the weight issue, unless the excursion explicitly mentions a weight restriction, don't worry about it. If in doubt, contact them prior to booking. I'm going to send you a PM with my cabin info. Hopefully we can meet up, on the ship!

Do you live in the area, or do you have questions about Galveston and embarkation/debarkation?
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I'm cruising on the Mariner of the Seas at the end of the month...I'll have a review.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:18 AM
Admiral

I've also sailed the Voyager of the Seas on the same itinerary the past three Januarys' if you want to look for those on my blog.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

(This unintentionally turned into something of a review. Just kept typing and this is what happened.... Take it for what it's worth)

Just got off the Mariner yesterday, but we did Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Falmouth Jamaica. Like Snoozeman, we've done the Voyager before out of Galveston. In subtle ways I liked the Voyager better and want her back...

Here's some of my observations-

- Food was pretty good, and food service was really good as well. Didn't really see the decline everyone keeps talking about, and I was expecting it. Maybe the holiday sailing had better menus?? Did Portofinos on night one after late boarding (RCL disinfecting the ship) and it was very good. Johnny Rockets was very good, and the service by Rodrigo was great.
- Cabin Steward Rachel took good care of us.
- The ship had major noro issues the weeks before, so the crew was really diligent and we had no real sicky issues on the cruise.
- I always get a soda card, but this time the fountain sodas were the absolute worst I've ever had on a cruise. The soda/syrup mix was really off just about everywhere. Almost like it was intentional???
- Wig & Gavel was a smoke filled cave showing bowl games with only occasional musical entertainment. Real disappointment, unless you're a chain smoker who hates music... Same crowd of Marlboro Men in there everytime I looked, and I never could find a table after dinner. I missed Derek in the Voyager's Pig and Whistle.
- Entertainment in general was really weak on the New Year's sailing. A few decent comedians, and another Mo'town tribute act (yawn). I actually enjoyed the one ship production show I watched, and I usually hate those. It seemed if you wanted to go to any decent show you had to go at 10:45 or even later. Poor scheduling, but I got the impression they were just short of acts to put out there.
- Loved the Solarium (as usual), but it is not as good of decor as on The V. Also, they have removed all the little cocktail tables so they can wedge in more chairs, so you have to set your drinks down in the 4" gap on the uneven rough tile floor, or hold them in your lap. Hint - bring a cup-holder to hang on the chair arm. Surprisingly, Chair hogs pretty much sat in their chairs, and kids were encouraged to go elsewhere. We did have one obnoxious adult pool spitter that pretty much grossed me out very morning...
- Roving bands of unsupervised feral children were prevalent on this holiday cruise. Many of the youngsters were well mannered and easy to be around, but there were enough that weren't that I am not sure about doing another holiday cruise. Had door decor swiped off our door 3 times and stuck on kids rooms in another part of the ship.
- Minor delays boarding and leaving for us, but it wasn't that bad. Avoid the morning express self assisted (no luggage service) departure cuz it jams up the works. Have breakfast and leave after the initial rush and you are better off.

It was a really good cruise, but not the wow family holiday event I was hoping for. We may go for one of the big ships next time to change things up a bit...
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Thanks Doug.

I have at least sailed the Mariner once out of LA. I think your right about the Voyager being better too, but I knew some crew there so that may be why I think that. I'm going in with an open mind. Thanks again for comments. Glad to hear that the noro is gone....

Future Cruises:
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Familiar Face

I've never really thought about choosing my cruise based on the ship. I pretty much have to take what's available on the dates I'm available and from the port closest to me because flying only adds to the cost. I'm only available for anything longer than a normal weekend on school breaks because I'm a teacher. Prices are generally sky high at those times, too. I lucked out in finding this for a really good price. Of course, it was almost two years in advance.

I've had coworkers before who actually used personal days for a week long cruise. We have to request personal days off and list why, so I'm surprised those coworkers were able to get approved. I'd be too afraid to even try. I'd hate trying to catch my students up after being out a week anyway. That's why I even scheduled surgery for winter break.
Old January 8th, 2012, 01:35 PM
First Mate

Default Soda Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
(This unintentionally turned into something of a review. Just kept typing and this is what happened.... Take it for what it's worth)

Just got off the Mariner yesterday, but we did Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Falmouth Jamaica. Like Snoozeman, we've done the Voyager before out of Galveston. In subtle ways I liked the Voyager better and want her back...

Here's some of my observations-

- Food was pretty good, and food service was really good as well. Didn't really see the decline everyone keeps talking about, and I was expecting it. Maybe the holiday sailing had better menus?? Did Portofinos on night one after late boarding (RCL disinfecting the ship) and it was very good. Johnny Rockets was very good, and the service by Rodrigo was great.
- Cabin Steward Rachel took good care of us.
- The ship had major noro issues the weeks before, so the crew was really diligent and we had no real sicky issues on the cruise.
- I always get a soda card, but this time the fountain sodas were the absolute worst I've ever had on a cruise. The soda/syrup mix was really off just about everywhere. Almost like it was intentional???
- Wig & Gavel was a smoke filled cave showing bowl games with only occasional musical entertainment. Real disappointment, unless you're a chain smoker who hates music... Same crowd of Marlboro Men in there everytime I looked, and I never could find a table after dinner. I missed Derek in the Voyager's Pig and Whistle.
- Entertainment in general was really weak on the New Year's sailing. A few decent comedians, and another Mo'town tribute act (yawn). I actually enjoyed the one ship production show I watched, and I usually hate those. It seemed if you wanted to go to any decent show you had to go at 10:45 or even later. Poor scheduling, but I got the impression they were just short of acts to put out there.
- Loved the Solarium (as usual), but it is not as good of decor as on The V. Also, they have removed all the little cocktail tables so they can wedge in more chairs, so you have to set your drinks down in the 4" gap on the uneven rough tile floor, or hold them in your lap. Hint - bring a cup-holder to hang on the chair arm. Surprisingly, Chair hogs pretty much sat in their chairs, and kids were encouraged to go elsewhere. We did have one obnoxious adult pool spitter that pretty much grossed me out very morning...
- Roving bands of unsupervised feral children were prevalent on this holiday cruise. Many of the youngsters were well mannered and easy to be around, but there were enough that weren't that I am not sure about doing another holiday cruise. Had door decor swiped off our door 3 times and stuck on kids rooms in another part of the ship.
- Minor delays boarding and leaving for us, but it wasn't that bad. Avoid the morning express self assisted (no luggage service) departure cuz it jams up the works. Have breakfast and leave after the initial rush and you are better off.

It was a really good cruise, but not the wow family holiday event I was hoping for. We may go for one of the big ships next time to change things up a bit...
I agree with you very much about the soda. I did the crossing from Rome to Galveston on the Mariner just recently and it was the worse fountain soda I have ever had on 40 plus cruises. I finally found a couple of bar servers to get me a can coke ready everytime i saw them and the were really good about. They got good tips. I filled out complaint cards about the mixture and apparantley they did not read them as that was in November.
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Familiar Face

Welcome to the Mariner family. I sailed on Mariner on 9/9/2007. It was amazing.
Cabins - if you wll be getting a balcony, ask for what they call the "bump" cabin. My cabin was 8320. It was great - right near the elevator. There is so much to do on this ship. The Promenade is unbelievable. They have the best coffee (Seattle's Best) along with pastires, etc and they are part of the cruise. The ice show is not to be missed. She (Mariner) was docked in Port Canaveral, Florida when I sailed her.
To my understanding, she now sails from the port of Los Angeles. I miss that ship.
She is small enough to really enjoy and yet large enough not to feel closed in.
Have a great time. Give her my regards. I will always remember that cruise.

Diane
Old January 18th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by micharr4 View Post
I've never really thought about choosing my cruise based on the ship. I pretty much have to take what's available on the dates I'm available and from the port closest to me because flying only adds to the cost. I'm only available for anything longer than a normal weekend on school breaks because I'm a teacher. Prices are generally sky high at those times, too. I lucked out in finding this for a really good price. Of course, it was almost two years in advance.

I've had coworkers before who actually used personal days for a week long cruise. We have to request personal days off and list why, so I'm surprised those coworkers were able to get approved. I'd be too afraid to even try. I'd hate trying to catch my students up after being out a week anyway. That's why I even scheduled surgery for winter break.
I can emphaise with you. My daughter works as an assitant teacher in the school system-and like you said-when she can go, prices are higher-which is why we cruised NCL 3 of the last 4 times we cruised with her. Our last cruise, Jewel of the Seas we lucked out with a decent price the week before Christmas. Only a 5 day-but so much nicer than NCL-I will take a 5 day over a 7 day NCL any time!

BTW she had surgery last June and she held off until then so she would not need to take time off work. Her Dr. really wanted her to do it about 6 weeks before, but agreed to keep a watch on things with the stipulation that if he thought she should not wait any longer that she would go ahead and have the surgery sooner. She was able to wait.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014