Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Familiar Face

Alaska is on my list too. I'm planning it but I think it will take some years before I go.
Have been to vancouver a couple of years ago for short visits onboard Radiance of the Seas and Serenade of the Seas while they were in Vancouver. It was a business trip and I spent most of the time in the engine rooms - but it made me book my first cruise (Voyager of the Seas in the Med).

I think the Norwegian coast is a bit similar to Alaska with the fjords and mountains. Here are two photos from the Geiranger fjord, called one of the most beautiful places in the world (by the Norwegians...):

I looked at the itinerary for your Med cruise and it looks great! I was going to book a similar cruise with Solstice in September, but when I decided to cruise the Caribbean out from New Orleans in March 2013 I switched my Med cruise to a 7 day cruise on Liberty instead as I will need between 3 and 4 weeks off in February/March 2013 (pre-cruise in Florida and New Orleans and maybe New York). I don't have unlimited holiday...

/Erik
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnel View Post
Alaska is on my list too. I'm planning it but I think it will take some years before I go.
Have been to vancouver a couple of years ago for short visits onboard Radiance of the Seas and Serenade of the Seas while they were in Vancouver. It was a business trip and I spent most of the time in the engine rooms - but it made me book my first cruise (Voyager of the Seas in the Med).

I think the Norwegian coast is a bit similar to Alaska with the fjords and mountains. Here are two photos from the Geiranger fjord, called one of the most beautiful places in the world (by the Norwegians...):

I looked at the itinerary for your Med cruise and it looks great! I was going to book a similar cruise with Solstice in September, but when I decided to cruise the Caribbean out from New Orleans in March 2013 I switched my Med cruise to a 7 day cruise on Liberty instead as I will need between 3 and 4 weeks off in February/March 2013 (pre-cruise in Florida and New Orleans and maybe New York). I don't have unlimited holiday...

/Erik
Erik, do you have family in New Orleans or specifically want to see New Orleans? If not I would cruise out of Florida.( or else from San Jaun) New Orleans cruises usually have more sea days, and is on older ships. It is one of those ports that is really for people in the states who do not want to fly, that New Orleans would be a more convenient drive than Florida. For us, we can as easily drive to New Orleans as Florida, and we always drive to Florida as we prefer the ports.

We have discussed taking a cruise from New Orleans, but is more to spend time there precruise and I am more of a mind, to just take a trip to New Orleans and let a cruise be another vacation.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
Erik, do you have family in New Orleans or specifically want to see New Orleans? If not I would cruise out of Florida.( or else from San Jaun) New Orleans cruises usually have more sea days, and is on older ships. It is one of those ports that is really for people in the states who do not want to fly, that New Orleans would be a more convenient drive than Florida. For us, we can as easily drive to New Orleans as Florida, and we always drive to Florida as we prefer the ports.

We have discussed taking a cruise from New Orleans, but is more to spend time there precruise and I am more of a mind, to just take a trip to New Orleans and let a cruise be another vacation.
My New Orleans cruise is a group cruise so I could not really choose (don't think I can convince the other 30 or so to choose Florida instead). It's on Navigator and I love the Voyager class so I'm fairly happy with that but it's 3 sea days while I had preferred 2.

As it's a long way for me from Europe to the US I'm planning to combine the cruise with a rather long pre-cruise stay (at least 2 weeks) so I'm sure I will be able to see both Florida and New Orleans.

/Erik
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
My New Orleans cruise is a group cruise so I could not really choose (don't think I can convince the other 30 or so to choose Florida instead). It's on Navigator and I love the Voyager class so I'm fairly happy with that but it's 3 sea days while I had preferred 2.

As it's a long way for me from Europe to the US I'm planning to combine the cruise with a rather long pre-cruise stay (at least 2 weeks) so I'm sure I will be able to see both Florida and New Orleans.

/Erik
I guessed Navigator. I am not so crazy about voyager class but I sitll think for a cruise from New Orleans, I would pic that ship over the offerings of NCL and Carnival which are both older ships and in not great shape. RCI keeps their older ships in good shape.

You should do a little cruise on the Natchez if you spend any time in New Orleans. It does luncheon and dinner cruises, and it is a paddle boat. The French Quarter is worth visiting also, though I recommend doing that in daylight as there are some unsavory people hanging in that area.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old February 24th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
I guessed Navigator. I am not so crazy about voyager class but I sitll think for a cruise from New Orleans, I would pic that ship over the offerings of NCL and Carnival which are both older ships and in not great shape. RCI keeps their older ships in good shape.

You should do a little cruise on the Natchez if you spend any time in New Orleans. It does luncheon and dinner cruises, and it is a paddle boat. The French Quarter is worth visiting also, though I recommend doing that in daylight as there are some unsavory people hanging in that area.
Yes, I have to do a Mississippi (did I spell that correct? ) cruise on Natchez. It looks like a great cruise! I think thay have jazz cruises too - not the music I am listening to too often but I used to play in a jazz band when I was in school and jazz has to be a part of a visit to New Orleans.

I was actually thinking of a hotel in the French Quarter but maybe that is not the best location?

I'm looking forward to both Florida and New Orleans, but I have to wait another year. Plenty of time for planning!

/Erik
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Yes, I have to do a Mississippi (did I spell that correct? ) cruise on Natchez. It looks like a great cruise! I think thay have jazz cruises too - not the music I am listening to too often but I used to play in a jazz band when I was in school and jazz has to be a part of a visit to New Orleans.

I was actually thinking of a hotel in the French Quarter but maybe that is not the best location?

I'm looking forward to both Florida and New Orleans, but I have to wait another year. Plenty of time for planning!

/Erik
Erik, the last time I was in New Orleans was 1978. I was 24 years old. The French quarter was not a good place even back then after dark. After katrina happened, it was a big financial loss for the city and the poor of that city became even more poor. I am thinking the crime rate is much worse because of the circumstances-I could be wrong- please research it.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old March 20th, 2012, 07:32 PM
First Mate

Default Vision

Jumped on this one when it opened. Taking the 11 night on Dec 3, 2012.

Just wish RCi would return to doing the 10 or 11 night partial Panama Canal cruises.
Old April 21st, 2012, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmunk View Post
Jumped on this one when it opened. Taking the 11 night on Dec 3, 2012.

Just wish RCi would return to doing the 10 or 11 night partial Panama Canal cruises.
Maybe they will throw in a couple of those every season on this ship. I noticed the Celebrity Equinox alternates the southern Caribbean with a partial Panama canal.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Book vision of the seas. Great itinerary and great price. Allure and oasis can wait. I have been on Spendour which is a vision class. It was a wonderful ship. Have been on the big boys too. Depending on my trips, I was happy with all the ships.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds