Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Default Vision of the Seas doing southern Carribbean roundtrip Ft. Lauderdale in 2013

I am happy to see another small RCI ship in the caribbean-very interested in booking a cruise on her. I hope she is still in good shape.

She was built in 1998, but the Jewel of the Seas was built in 2002, and the Jewel looks very well. Too bad the Vision is not radiance class-is the vision class nice?

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
I am happy to see another small RCI ship in the caribbean-very interested in booking a cruise on her. I hope she is still in good shape.

She was built in 1998, but the Jewel of the Seas was built in 2002, and the Jewel looks very well. Too bad the Vision is not radiance class-is the vision class nice?
Never done RCI, but just got the announcement in my e mail. Very nice itineraries.
I would be interested in info on this ship too.
Old January 18th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Admiral

I know she has done northen Europe in the summer for the past few years-not sure where her winter home has been

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old January 18th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Will this cruise be a 10 day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale? Very true, the air fare to San Juan is almost the same as the cruise price, so going from Fl. would save a lot, but don't think you could get to the Southern Caribbean in just a weeks cruise?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Looks like the first ten dayer is in Nov/2012...this is the itinerary:

Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Tortola, British Virgin Islands; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Roseau, Dominica; St. John's, Antigua; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Fort Lauderdale, Florida

This is the great way to get to the deep Caribbean without the killer air form San Juan. I like it as well...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 19th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Donna, I like a few sea days-not a problem!

I did see a deal on Celebrity Summit which included airfare and a balcony for about the same price as a balcony on this-but the 10 day still appeals to me more.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old January 19th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Admiral

She will be going back in Europe for the summer season. I am holding group space both way transatlantics. She will return to Europe in April 2013.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Admiral

The January 4th, 2013 sailing is GONE already. No wonder- much better price than Celebrity, Princess, or HAL had and even a better price the Carnival Freedom 8 day. Only NCL Sun was less. The secret is out I guess.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old January 19th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I love the idea of being able to leave from Fl...Didn't there useto be 2 different itins on RCI"s Circle The Caribbean years ago, with an even better itinerary?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 19th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
She will be going back in Europe for the summer season. I am holding group space both way transatlantics. She will return to Europe in April 2013.
I am sorry to hear that -I had hoped Europe had seen the back of her.

Annie
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Trip,
Yes, I seem to remember different itinaries and still getting into the Southern Caribbean. If you can afford the time, this is another option and it also saves on air. I would rather cruise than fly, right?

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
Felix, we are not doing a transatlantic now. We decided since we had never done the Med before and my hubby's vacation time is limited, that we would do a Med cruise instead this June. With spending a week in Italy prior to the cruise-it would take 3 weeks of my hubby's vacation time-now he only uses 2 weeks for the Med, and price wise it is about the same cost, as we are only spending a couple of days in Spain besides the cruise. This way we go to all the ports in Italy we wanted, and we have 12 hours in each port, except Venice where we are overnight, so that gives us plenty of time for touring.

I would like to ask what you think of the Vision of the Seas, I am sure she is not as nice as radiance class, but hopefully still nice for an older ship?

After we get back from the Med, we will look at our cruising budget, and then decide if we book the Vision of the Seas for the southern Caribbean in early January or else just spend some time in Tampa and do a 4 day on the Constellation. I do not want to have to "budget" for the Med, we are taking several pricey tours, so it may just be the Connie in Janaury.

That now will be our 30th anniversary celebration, although the Med cruise is our 30th family gift to each other and to our daughter, as she is going also and we are helping her with her expenses.

Although the VOS 's scheduled ports would be much better, I do not mind the Connie and Tampa. Tampa was where we had our honeymoon, and the Connie was our 25th, so we have wonderful memories of both.

Whichever way we go we still hope to do the VOS southern cruise at some point-but maybe not till late 2013.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
This way we go to all the ports in Italy we wanted, and we have 12 hours in each port, except Venice where we are overnight, so that gives us plenty of time for touring.
Cruising the Med is great, and especially Italy. I love it! I hope you also will have at least one stop at the French Riviera. One thing to remember; you'll nead about a week after the cruise to rest before going back to work, as you will be exhausted during all the full day excursions (so much to see)!

Quote:
I would like to ask what you think of the Vision of the Seas, I am sure she is not as nice as radiance class, but hopefully still nice for an older ship?
I sailed her this summer in the Baltic and I think she was in good shape. Of course she is a bit smaller and without many of the bells and whistles the Radiance class have, but it depends of what you would like to do onboard.
The atrium is very nice and brighter than the Radiance class atrium. It feels like it's more windows in this area on Vision.
Nice pool deck and a big solarium. The Schooner bar is very nice on Vision, with lot of windows.
If you like specialty restaurants you may be disappointed as there are none on Vision. On the other hand I think the food in the MDR is very good for being an RCI ship (i.e. not bad at all, but we can get better food on our regular ferries between Sweden and Finland - but it's pricy).

Here are a few photos from Vision.

Schooner bar.

70's disco in centrum.

Centrum.

Centrum, outside the library.

Pool deck.

Vision in Geiranger fjord in Norway.

Here is a link to some more photos from Vision from 2009.
Vision of the Seas 2009

/Erik
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Erik, is the solarium adult's only?

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old February 15th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Erik, is the solarium adult's only?
The solaruim pool is adult's only but I don't think the solarium area itself is that, as it was the only place where they served snacks like pizza slices, hamburgers, hot dogs and sandwiches.

/Erik
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnel View Post
The solaruim pool is adult's only but I don't think the solarium area itself is that, as it was the only place where they served snacks like pizza slices, hamburgers, hot dogs and sandwiches.

/Erik
On our last cruise people would walk through the solarium with children but did not stay. There was a snack bar also- and the windjammer served pizza and icecream. Hot dogs and burgers were at that cafe the radiance class has instead of Johnny Rockets. I saw no kids eating in the solarium-just adults. it was a nice quiet place and my favorite spot on the JOS.

I would think it would not be that hard for RCI to add pizza to the windjammer and set up a stand/buffet with hotdogs by the lido pool. Perhaps because, yours was a European cruise, and so less Americans, there was not much call for those foods-so they only served it there.

BTW- we DO want to do a Baltic someday-maybe that will be when we go on the Vision of the Seas.

One of our tours in Italy will be a REAL Italian pizza place-can't way to see how the "real Pizza" tastes! And if I get to do that Baltic cruise I can live without American hot dogs, hamburgers and pizza!

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old February 16th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

I was planning on doing the Oasis or Allure for my next cruise but after seeing this itinerary that may have to wait.

I'm really close to using my "next cruise" credit for the Vision on Nov. 12th of this year.Eleven nights and six ports (five of which I have never been) vs. seven nights and three ports (which I have been to all three) all for about the same price.

My seven night on the Freedom this past November was a little too short. My eleven night on the Jewel was just right that it didn't feel like the time just flew by.

I,m glad to see Royal doing some longer cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2010
RCI Jewel of the Seas, 2011
RCI Freedom of the Seas, 2011
Old February 16th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Admiral

You would be basically cruising Allure or Oasis for the ship, the ports would be extra, so keep that in mind...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 16th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
You would be basically cruising Allure or Oasis for the ship, the ports would be extra, so keep that in mind...
Given my cruise history, which cruise would you take if you were me?

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave 3261 View Post
Given my cruise history, which cruise would you take if you were me?

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
Which ship did you like best Jewel of the Seas or Freedom of the Seas? If you prefer the "bells and whistles" of the Freedom class, then you would like more. If you prefer the ports to ship and like the feel of a smaller ships then you would want VOS.

I am not a "bells and whistles" gal-I go for ports and things like the solarium/adults only areas on ship.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old February 16th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Admiral

I would say, if you are really wanting to visit ports, then I would wait on Oasis or Allure when you just want to cruise and the ports would be an extra bonus...So far, my favorite cruise would be Allure of the Seas.. I choose the Eastern route and went to islands I have already been to, but that is nice too. I know it is a tough decision....

Do let us know what you decide on....happy cruising!

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 17th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Which ship did you like best Jewel of the Seas or Freedom of the Seas? If you prefer the "bells and whistles" of the Freedom class, then you would like more. If you prefer the ports to ship and like the feel of a smaller ships then you would want VOS.

I am not a "bells and whistles" gal-I go for ports and things like the solarium/adults only areas on ship.
I think I like the Jewel of the Seas the best so far. I like the indoor solarium(perfect for a late nite swim and hot tub), outside seating in the WJ and there was just something charming about the ship that you can't quite put your finger on. Also had perfect weather and met awesome people on that cruise so that might be a factor.

On the Freedom, I LOVED the Flowrider!!!! (If not for DW would have spent the whole week there) I also like the Ice shows and the ice skating but wouldn't ruin my cruise without it.

I think I have to go with eleven night vs. seven nights and hopefully in the not to distant future experience the Oasis class.

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I would say, if you are really wanting to visit ports, then I would wait on Oasis or Allure when you just want to cruise and the ports would be an extra bonus...So far, my favorite cruise would be Allure of the Seas.. I choose the Eastern route and went to islands I have already been to, but that is nice too. I know it is a tough decision....

Do let us know what you decide on....happy cruising!
Thanks, I really appreciate your advice. I think I am leaning towards the Vision right now. The fact that the Allure was your favorite cruise ever makes the decision a bit more difficult.
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Admiral

Dave,
The Vision cruise sounds like a great cruise, nice ship and ports....Good choice.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave 3261 View Post
I think I like the Jewel of the Seas the best so far. I like the indoor solarium(perfect for a late nite swim and hot tub), outside seating in the WJ and there was just something charming about the ship that you can't quite put your finger on. Also had perfect weather and met awesome people on that cruise so that might be a factor.

On the Freedom, I LOVED the Flowrider!!!! (If not for DW would have spent the whole week there) I also like the Ice shows and the ice skating but wouldn't ruin my cruise without it.

I think I have to go with eleven night vs. seven nights and hopefully in the not to distant future experience the Oasis class.

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
Just remember the Vision is not the same class as the Jewel and is older. However, Erik/Funnel's pictures show the Vision is beautiful still. One thing about RCI, they keep up their older ships, unlike Carnival.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old February 17th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Captain

I suggest you check the posting under Cruise Lines, Royal Carribean, "Allure is better than Oasis." if your question is whether you should book on Allure or Oasis.
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
On our last cruise people would walk through the solarium with children but did not stay. There was a snack bar also- and the windjammer served pizza and icecream. Hot dogs and burgers were at that cafe the radiance class has instead of Johnny Rockets. I saw no kids eating in the solarium-just adults. it was a nice quiet place and my favorite spot on the JOS.

I would think it would not be that hard for RCI to add pizza to the windjammer and set up a stand/buffet with hotdogs by the lido pool. Perhaps because, yours was a European cruise, and so less Americans, there was not much call for those foods-so they only served it there.
When I have cruised Vision it has also been very quiet in the solarium but that can have something to do with the fact that I have only cruised her up here north with very few kids onboard.

I guess a buffet at the lido pool would be very risky up here as it can be everything between 58F and 90F (even up to 95F but that is extremely rare) here during the summer. Well, maybe if the hot dogs are really hot...

Vision has only two restaurants (the main restaurant and Windjammer) and one coffee shop. Add the "buffet" at the solarium pool and that's it.
On the other hand I have found the food to be better onboard Vision than any other RCI ship I have been cruising.

I have to say I really liked Vision. It's nice onboard, but as have been said before not with all the bells and whistles that can be found onborad the bigger RCI ships. The Vision class is more about close connection to the sea.

/Erik
Old February 18th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnel View Post
When I have cruised Vision it has also been very quiet in the solarium but that can have something to do with the fact that I have only cruised her up here north with very few kids onboard.

I guess a buffet at the lido pool would be very risky up here as it can be everything between 58F and 90F (even up to 95F but that is extremely rare) here during the summer. Well, maybe if the hot dogs are really hot...

Vision has only two restaurants (the main restaurant and Windjammer) and one coffee shop. Add the "buffet" at the solarium pool and that's it.
On the other hand I have found the food to be better onboard Vision than any other RCI ship I have been cruising.

I have to say I really liked Vision. It's nice onboard, but as have been said before not with all the bells and whistles that can be found onborad the bigger RCI ships. The Vision class is more about close connection to the sea.

/Erik
Erik, I cruised Sovereign of the Seas twice. She was a lovely ship-my only complaint was the size of the staterooms-but even that is fine-if only 2 people share a stateroom. I do not need a lot of restaurants either.

So the Baltic can be cool in the summers? Not a problem with me. Summers are hard on me. I really hope I can go on a Baltic at some point. Plus I would like to see Holland/Netherlands especially as I have Dutch ancestry.

We have not been to Hawaii yet-and that is on our "bucket list" also-but I hope the Baltic is our next "big" cruise after this summer to the Med. I do not care if we go to Hawaii as much as the Baltic. We have been to the Caribbean many times-and so I have been to tropical islands, if not specifically the Hawaiian Islands.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old February 19th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Erik, I cruised Sovereign of the Seas twice. She was a lovely ship-my only complaint was the size of the staterooms-but even that is fine-if only 2 people share a stateroom. I do not need a lot of restaurants either.

So the Baltic can be cool in the summers? Not a problem with me. Summers are hard on me. I really hope I can go on a Baltic at some point. Plus I would like to see Holland/Netherlands especially as I have Dutch ancestry.

We have not been to Hawaii yet-and that is on our "bucket list" also-but I hope the Baltic is our next "big" cruise after this summer to the Med. I do not care if we go to Hawaii as much as the Baltic. We have been to the Caribbean many times-and so I have been to tropical islands, if not specifically the Hawaiian Islands.
I'm not too fond of high temperatures too, so I think is nice over here even if it can be cold and rainy in periods during the summer.
Make sure to cruise in end of June or beginning of July if you want to feel the long days (sunrise in Stockholm is 3:30 AM and sunset 10:05 PM and it's never completely dark in the end of June) but maybe end of July is better weatherwise - but that is always a gamble!

If you want to cruise RCI in the Baltic they also have Brilliance and Jewel here during the summer (from Holland, Denmark and England). I think that Vision still has the nicest port of calls (some smaller cities) but that depends of where one have been before (for more "capitals" I think Jewel may be better).

I felt the balcony stateroom on Vision was rather big. No problem with 2 people sleeping there. It was also nice with the sitting area closest to the windows. The furniture may be a bit outdated but they are OK.

Balcony cabin:

Junior Suite (before they had made up the room... ):

I have never been to Hawaii or the Caribbean but have booked a Caribbean cruise from New Orleans on Navigator in March next year. I'm looking forward to that cruise!

/Erik
Old February 19th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Erik, the Caribbean would be more exotic for you than me-we can drive to port as we live in Georgia, as we are close to Florida.

I really liked the Caribbean, but we have done that often, as it was affordable for us without needing to buy airfare. Now though we have done it so much I am willing to cruise less often and go further to ports we have not done yet-even thoguh we need to save more money before going.

Many Europeans do the Caribbean. Our dollar is so weak it is not as expensive for you to cruise the Caribbean as it is for us to cruise Europe. Maybe you will some day-or else if you hate the heat, you would like Alaska.

The Baltic must be similar to Alaska in the summer as far as long days of daylight. My husband and I would go to the hot tub every night at 10 pm and watch the snow capped mountains in the hottub. We really loved that. We want to see Alaska again too, but we must go to the Baltic first!

I have now achieved-
139 days total