Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Captain

Default Hotel question in Fort Lauderdale

Has anybody stayed at the Ramada Cruise Port Hotel lately? I am booked there but after reading all the negative comments about its condition and location I am thinking twice about it. Yes, it has free shuttles but I will be there two nights and if its horrible I wont be able to fathom a second night. Any testimonials on this or any other hotels to recommend?

Thank you much...
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I understand, as I have walked out of a hotel there, and, ran to find another... I have not stayed at the Ramada. There are some fine hotels on A1A, close to the port. I bid 4 star downtown on Priceline and got Pier 66 For $95.00 per night. Love this place! You can also call Hyatt Place, Embassy Suites,& Bahia Mar, all close to the port and airport....good luck.

I wanted to add.... because the airport and port, is close to A1A hotels, a cab ride is inexpensive.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; February 6th, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Admiral

I have stayed there a few times. It is clean - biggest thing for me. They have slowly eroded the "free" breakfast to nothing. The pool and outside bar are fine. The food in the dining room at dinner time was excellent.

They do have transport to the pier but the last time we used it, it was really badly organized. We were on the transfer bus and our luggage was still outside. DH had to get out and put it on himself. People were very argumentative.

There really isn't anything closeby but last year the shuttle driver would take you to the water taxi area. Otherwise there is nothing around there.

Since the place changed hands and the shuttle is not owned by the hotel anymore, it has deteriorated but, as I said, late last year it was clean.

I would never use their shuttle service again. We were not allowed off the shuttle at th pier until the driver had gotten off and put all the luggage off where he could control it. He wanted to be sure he got his "gratuity" from everyone. I don't like being locked on a bus.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

We stay at the Hyatt Place. It is not on the beach, but is close to a supermarket and restaurants for convenience. We book via ValueTrips.com Travel Discounts and Specials for much cheaper rates..
To get down to the beach there is a free public trolley service, takes about 10-15 minutes.
Sun Trolley - Fort Lauderdale's Community Bus Service
Old February 6th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

I haven't stayed there either and currently have reservations at The Renassiance for a 2 day before the cruise stay. I read alot of reviews on Trip Advisor and there seem to be alot of bad ones for all the hotels.. I think alot of people tend to only write about the negative things. I wish I could afford to get a room on the beach but wowza...... a couple we actually met on a cruise a few years ago is cruising with us in March and they are staying at the Marriott Harbor Resort.... :eek: almost 500.00 per night... I am sure we will see enough beaches for 9 days!!! ;-) personally I would just take most reviews with a grain of salt but that's just me...

I will say, before you could check things out via internet, we stayed at one place and we had to ask for toliet paper, soap etc and the batteries were held in with tape on the remote...If it was up to me, I would have bolted... Hubby said it was doable for 1 night... I definately do my homework now!!!
Old February 6th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We stay in Del Ray (about 30 minutes north) at the Sundy House (small luxury hotel) or in Ft. Lauderdale on Los Olas Boulevard at The Riverside Hotel.
Old February 6th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Admiral

I loved the Renaissance,and have stayed there several times,and was really hoping my bid would get that hotel. I was surprisded Pier 66 came thtough as the price on their site shocked me .....I love the lanai rooms there.

The Bimini Boat Yard next to the Ren is a great place to dine.

Old February 7th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I loved the Renaissance,and have stayed there several times,and was really hoping my bid would get that hotel. I was surprisded Pier 66 came thtough as the price on their site shocked me .....I love the lanai rooms there.

The Bimini Boat Yard next to the Ren is a great place to dine.
What was your bid for- downtown 3 stars, 4 stars- which area does Pier 66 come under?
Old February 15th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

thats good to know that someone has actually stayed there and liked it... you just never know... It's for our 20th Annv. and I would hate for it to be a bomb... and thanks for the heads up on the rest. next door!!!
Old February 15th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Admiral

When you bid 4 star downtown, in Lauderdale you get a nice hotel.. Pier 66 The Ren, for ex..I think I started at $80.00.