CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Swami says....Oasis to Galveston (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/387603-swami-says-oasis-galveston.html)

Snoozeman February 10th, 2012 07:22 PM

Swami says....Oasis to Galveston

I heard it on the grapevine...Oasis to Galveston. Fall 2013.

felix_the_cat February 10th, 2012 08:23 PM

Is the port big enough? I've just heard so many rumours hard to believe any of them?

Snoozeman February 10th, 2012 09:53 PM

Yes, they have moved the turning basin a half mile to entry. The Magic and Mariner both are turning there, then backing to the pier (or backing to the turning basin-if they need other side of ship on the pier). One of the reasons they are doing this is not that the port is too small it is because it is so busy. They now have several new dry docks, drilling rigs, etc. opposite the cruise terminal.

They were dredging when I was there last week. I'll look at the dredging progress when I go back in two weeks.

ruthlessboss February 11th, 2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix_the_cat (Post 1414716)
Is the port big enough? I've just heard so many rumours hard to believe any of them?

And I read it may be coming to Canaveral. Can't imagine it though. I heard there's a lot of expansion coming here, but I can't figure out where they will find the space.

Trip February 11th, 2012 09:22 AM

Boy, if the port fogs in, look how many more 1000's of people to make arrangements for. I know the Texas cruisers will embrace it, if that happens.

Phil&Liz February 11th, 2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1414822)
Boy, if the port fogs in, look how many more 1000's of people to make arrangements for. I know the Texas cruisers will embrace it, if that happens.

The delays for cruisers flying out would be relieved by Galveston expanding their airport to the size of what Hobby was early on.
Their website says it can accomodate 747s but they don't appear to ever have one landing there.

Snoozeman February 11th, 2012 07:25 PM

The Galveston airport has tried to get pax flights, but no airline will do it with Hobby being only 45 min. away. The airport director actually had this question come up this past week.

Trip: I think the number of people will be about the same....when Oasis comes in I think Disney will probably leave. I also think that that is part of the marketing strategy. Neither CCL nor RCI want DCL to get a foothold on the Texas market. Also I would anticipate Oasis embark/debark days to be on Saturday so overall there will be fewer people per day than there is now with both big ships embark/debarking on Sunday. A win/win for both Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

briguy February 17th, 2012 02:47 PM

I can see the Oasis or Allure being redeployed to Europe in a few years as well. Especially when their new ships debut. I really think it will happen.

felix_the_cat February 18th, 2012 07:23 PM

I've put a lot of thought into this (well maybe 10 minutes over time :p) but I do not see either the Oasis or Allure moving to Galveston. They put far too much money into FLL to even consider a move for at least another 5/7 years.

They are moving things around right now but these two just aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

bonnyprincecharlie February 19th, 2012 06:05 AM

I heard that either Oasis or Allure will go into a Panama Canal transit cruise mode when expansion is complete.

HawkeyeFLA February 19th, 2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masogonist (Post 1416213)
I heard that either Oasis or Allure will go into a Panama Canal transit cruise mode when expansion is complete.

I've heard there may be issues getting either ship past the Bridge of the Americas could be an issue tho because of their height above water.

Snoozeman March 14th, 2012 10:41 AM

Got another confirmation (USCG) last week that the talks are on going.

I hope it gets done!

Donna March 14th, 2012 01:35 PM

Would be wonderful if they fit, I would certainly consider a canal cruise on either ship.

Snoozeman March 14th, 2012 02:47 PM

My information is Galveston....no canal in the plans.

Libragirl April 1st, 2012 01:26 PM

Celebrity used to do Panama Canal cruises out of Galveston. Maybe, some other ship will start doing it. ???