CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Grand Cayman which stingray city tour???? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/388249-grand-cayman-stingray-city-tour.html)

katlady March 13th, 2012 10:27 AM

Grand Cayman which stingray city tour????

Hi all this is my first Carribean Cruise and my first time on Freedom of the Seas. I know I want to do a stingray city tour, but there are so many I'm confused. So I'm asking your advice. Which stingray city tour did you do and did you enjoy it? If so why? If not why? Thanks for your help.

Donna March 13th, 2012 09:06 PM

Good idea to just book with the ship, since it is your first visit here and sometimes because of weather conditions, this port get cancelled. Because, it is a tender port, you need to allow extra time to get on and off tenders, good idea to book through the cruiseline. It is an awesome excursion that you will not want to miss.

Also, pick up some disposable water cameras before you leave home, they will be twice the price once on the cruise and be sure to take it with you when you go to Sting Ray City.

dave 3261 March 13th, 2012 11:00 PM

I did this excursion through Royal Caribbean. We went to the turtle farm, made a stop in Hell, and then on to the boat that takes you to Stingray City which was amazing!

After that DW and I decided to break away from the tour and had them drop us off at Tiki Beach. We had lunch at the beach bar and went snorkeling for an hour or so. Then we took a bus back to the ship and just barely made the last tender due to heavy traffic. So be careful if you do that!!

In November on the Freedom we were unable to go ashore in Grand Caymen due to rough waters.:-( If we had booked a private tour we probably would have been out the money.

Have a wonderful time!

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2010
RCI Jewel of the Seas, 2011
RCI Freedom of the Seas, 2011

Snoozeman March 14th, 2012 10:38 AM

I would highly recommend Nativeway. They have several different ones going to the stingrays. I have done the RRR tour four times including this past week. There should be a bunch of photos popping up soon of the group there. If the ship misses the stop you are not charged. The ships tours have TOO many people on them....go smaller.

katlady March 14th, 2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1420550)
I would highly recommend Nativeway. They have several different ones going to the stingrays. I have done the RRR tour four times including this past week. There should be a bunch of photos popping up soon of the group there. If the ship misses the stop you are not charged. The ships tours have TOO many people on them....go smaller.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.
Does they operator have a tour that includes the turtle farm and Hell. Because that sounds fun. So people have told me to go to hell. It would be great to e-mail those people pictures of me in hell.:twisted:

Snoozeman March 14th, 2012 02:46 PM

Nativeway does have a combo tour......

Tour Details

Tell Sharon hello for me.

dave 3261 March 14th, 2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1420550)

My ship sponsored tour was not very crowded at all, besides they all go to the same sand bar for the stingrays.

worthew8 March 16th, 2012 07:12 PM

Katlady, it seems I've been to hell and back...but not the same one you want to go to.

I did a ship tour with another cruise line, and liked it because I have a thing for Katamarans. rofl
They provided rum punch and snacks as well as good music. I think it was Azure. They took great pics with the option of buying, which I did. Although my throw-a-way underwater camera got some good pics, too.

All tours go to the same place, mine got out there early but got very crowded at the end of our stay. Preference to the cruise line tours vs. independent?

Keep in mind there is the possibility of cancellation due to weather...too windy, wavy, etc.

p.s. Be careful in Jamaica, if you're hitting that island too.

Snoozeman March 16th, 2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave 3261 (Post 1420619)
My ship sponsored tour was not very crowded at all, besides they all go to the same sand bar for the stingrays.

True, but that was only one stop of three for our excursion. No ship excursions go to Rum Point.

katlady March 16th, 2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1420970)
True, but that was only one stop of three for our excursion. No ship excursions go to Rum Point.

Is Rum Point nice? I saw the tour on the list. My hubby loves tropical fish and coral so I was really looking at that one.

Snoozeman March 16th, 2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady (Post 1420987)
Is Rum Point nice? I saw the tour on the list. My hubby loves tropical fish and coral so I was really looking at that one.

I've done that tour four times. I like it.;)

Rum Point is quieter and very nice.

Texasmunk March 20th, 2012 06:21 PM

Ships tour vs Private tour

We have done Stingray city several times. We recommend Captain Marvin's. His company started the whole thing. He offers newer boats, few people, and options such as a two reef snorkel trip prior to the stingrays, a conch luncheon prepared on a beach and friendly crews. You get off the tender, turn left they are in a little store front on the other side of the street. If weather is bad, and you have to cancel, there is no charge.
Tranfers to and from his boats. leaves you off right across the street from the pier so you can head back or window shop.