Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Airtran?

Anyone used Airtran airlines? Opinions good or bad welcomed.
I have never used them... I always hesitate at using a low cost carrier, and they fly from an airport that is not exactly convenient, but their prices are so
much better, and the flights are direct, so I am thinking of trying them
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Admiral

AirTran is now owned by Southwest. I fly Southwest all the time at least whenever possible. I would fly AirTran in a heartbeat.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks. That's reassuring. I was just reading about them ( they used to be Valujet, and all I can think of is ... Everglades ) but they now have the #1 safety record in the US. Who knew?
Old March 29th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Sometimes it takes learning the hard way.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Captain

AirTran used to be my least favorite carrier and SouthWest my favorite. Now AirTran is fine and SoutWest is still my favorite, even if I fly AirTran.
Old March 30th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Captain

Talking AirTran

We have used AirTran several times, the most recently to and from Baltimore. We have no complaints at all. Aircraft were clean, crew very friendly.

We usually book the cheapest fare, then 24 hours before departure, we upgrade to Business Class (if it's available). The price is right, and you don't pay baggage fees.

We're currently waiting for bookings beyond November 2 to open so we can book our flight to Boston.
Old March 30th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootersdad View Post
We have used AirTran several times, the most recently to and from Baltimore. We have no complaints at all. Aircraft were clean, crew very friendly.

We usually book the cheapest fare, then 24 hours before departure, we upgrade to Business Class (if it's available). The price is right, and you don't pay baggage fees.

We're currently waiting for bookings beyond November 2 to open so we can book our flight to Boston.
I'm told AirTran will be out around April 1 but for some reason, Southwest told me May 21.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 30th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Admiral

AirTran is fine. They have "relatively" new 717 aircraft. (Actually the MD80/DC9) but new and made after the Boeing takeover of McDonald/Douglas.

I've flown them a few times and we took off, flew, and landed where we were supposed to. The baggage was in the carousel so I have nothing to complain about.

I'd fly them again if I needed to.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 30th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks to everyone who responded... I just booked flights. It saved a considerable sum. I will have to drive to Indianapolis, which is an hour and a half away, rather than Louisville which is twenty minutes away, but the price difference was too big to overlook .:o
Old April 1st, 2012, 09:43 PM
First Mate

I' guess I'm too late with this but we had a pretty bad first experience with AirTran.
I'll just share a letter that I sent to them by way of explanation. A letter which, by the way ,was never responded to
Sir or Madam,

My wife and I booked (conf#XXXXX) your airline to fly us to San Juan Puerto Rico from Detroit on Feb25 2012. We arrived at DTW in plenty of time to find that the flight (#143) to ATL had been delayed. The gate agent announced that all passengers not on standby would be compensated with a free flight anywhere AirTran flew on the stipulation that it be used within one year. She further stated that an agent would meet us at the gate in Atlanta with a meal voucher. Just before boarding we were called to the counter and told that our seat assignments for flight 163 ATL-SJU had been changed and we were given new boarding passes with ?? for seat numbers and that we should see the agent in Atlanta upon arrival.
We got to ATL about 90 min late and were directed to another terminal for our connection. No meal voucher was offered. We arrived at the counter and presented the agent there with our revised boarding passes. We were told our seat assignments had changed because we had missed our flight.I have to admit that I had no answer for this because it made no sense. We eventually were given seats 15 A&B which, while not bad seats, were not the exit row seats I had payed for.(18 A&B).
On arrival at SJU we found that my wife’s luggage had not made the trip with us. We went to the luggage claim office and were fourth in line to report lost bags.As a result we were at the airport for over 2 hours trying to find the bag. I noticed my bag had a red reroute tag to send it to Orlando Fla. Somehow by bag had arrived in the right place by mistake! Pierre, the agent in SJU said if the missing bag was indeed in Orlando it might arrive in SJU at midnight that night and if it did someone would call us.
We finally went to our hotel to wait for a call that never came.I should mention that we were boarding a cruise ship the next day (Feb 26) and we needed my wife’s bag before that. I started calling AirTran in the morning and kept getting an answering machine.We finally had to ask the hotel for late check out so we could go shopping for some clothes.You can only imagine my wife’s distress .She had in the meantime bought a few clothing articles in the hotel gift shop to get by. I called one last time and finally got to talk to a person who said the bag had indeed arrived from Orlando. I asked if we could come and get it and she said she had just given it to the delivery person and we should have it in about 10 min. which I believed since you can see the airport from the hotel. Of course it took more than an hour for the bag to arrive just before noon.. We then headed directly for our cruise.
This was first time we have flown AirTran and you left us with a very bad first impression and several questions.
How do bags that are checked together get separated and sent to different destinations?
Why were they rerouted to Orlando in the first place?
How can you charge $20 a bag for such poor service?
Why were we bumped from seats we had selected and payed for?
What happened to the meal vouchers?
How do we book the promised free flight?
Carnival Pride Jan/07 Long Beach
Splendour of the Seas Sept/09 Venice
Adventure of the Seas Jan/11 San Juan
Adventure of the Seas Feb/12 San Juan
Navigator of the Seas Jan/13 N'arlins

<

Read and post cruise reviewsRead and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

That is horrible, I am hoping ours will be straightforward. It is a direct non stop flight so hopefully our bags will come with us.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlubber View Post
I' guess I'm too late with this but we had a pretty bad first experience with AirTran.
I'll just share a letter that I sent to them by way of explanation. A letter which, by the way ,was never responded to
Sir or Madam,

My wife and I booked (conf#XXXXX) your airline to fly us to San Juan Puerto Rico from Detroit on Feb25 2012. We arrived at DTW in plenty of time to find that the flight (#143) to ATL had been delayed. The gate agent announced that all passengers not on standby would be compensated with a free flight anywhere AirTran flew on the stipulation that it be used within one year. She further stated that an agent would meet us at the gate in Atlanta with a meal voucher. Just before boarding we were called to the counter and told that our seat assignments for flight 163 ATL-SJU had been changed and we were given new boarding passes with ?? for seat numbers and that we should see the agent in Atlanta upon arrival.
We got to ATL about 90 min late and were directed to another terminal for our connection. No meal voucher was offered. We arrived at the counter and presented the agent there with our revised boarding passes. We were told our seat assignments had changed because we had missed our flight.I have to admit that I had no answer for this because it made no sense. We eventually were given seats 15 A&B which, while not bad seats, were not the exit row seats I had payed for.(18 A&B).
On arrival at SJU we found that my wife’s luggage had not made the trip with us. We went to the luggage claim office and were fourth in line to report lost bags.As a result we were at the airport for over 2 hours trying to find the bag. I noticed my bag had a red reroute tag to send it to Orlando Fla. Somehow by bag had arrived in the right place by mistake! Pierre, the agent in SJU said if the missing bag was indeed in Orlando it might arrive in SJU at midnight that night and if it did someone would call us.
We finally went to our hotel to wait for a call that never came.I should mention that we were boarding a cruise ship the next day (Feb 26) and we needed my wife’s bag before that. I started calling AirTran in the morning and kept getting an answering machine.We finally had to ask the hotel for late check out so we could go shopping for some clothes.You can only imagine my wife’s distress .She had in the meantime bought a few clothing articles in the hotel gift shop to get by. I called one last time and finally got to talk to a person who said the bag had indeed arrived from Orlando. I asked if we could come and get it and she said she had just given it to the delivery person and we should have it in about 10 min. which I believed since you can see the airport from the hotel. Of course it took more than an hour for the bag to arrive just before noon.. We then headed directly for our cruise.
This was first time we have flown AirTran and you left us with a very bad first impression and several questions.
How do bags that are checked together get separated and sent to different destinations?
Why were they rerouted to Orlando in the first place?
How can you charge $20 a bag for such poor service?
Why were we bumped from seats we had selected and payed for?
What happened to the meal vouchers?
How do we book the promised free flight?
I am sorry for your trials & tribulations. They did handle things rather badly. I do have some questions/remarks for you. You were bumped from the seats you rented because you were no longer on the flight you booked (which wasn't your fault). You need to call and ask for a refund for the seats. They do owe you that. Did you ask for the meal vouchers? They won't give them if you don't ask - same as every greedy business out there. Did you receive a voucher for the free flight? You will have to phone for that.

You're asking questions there are no answers for. The charge $20 for the luggage - because everyone else does and you agreed to it when you bought the ticket. It wouldn't get you an answer. Bags are not checked together. They are just checked and sent on their way. They are not connected and very seldom come off the conveyor belt together. Not even a good question.

I would suggest you call AirTran and discuss the only issues here that count - getting a refund on your seat selection as you didn't get them and booking your next flight.

Oh, the other about how long it takes the bags to reach your hotel, you have no idea how many other stops are going to be made. No doubt your luggage was not the only luggage on its way. That really isn't going to get you an answer.

You have to concentrate on the parts you can control - getting the refund and free flight. If you ask too many questions that have no answers and seem to be nit-picking, you will not get a good response.

I hope you do get your refund and free flight. But get on the phone, don't wait for a letter answer.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 6th, 2012, 11:42 AM
First Mate

Thanx for the input Felix. I really wasn't looking for answers here. The questions are just part of the letter I posted in response to request for experiences with AirTran. Sometimes questions with no answers still need to be asked.Other times questions that you know the answer to still need to be asked.
Carnival Pride Jan/07 Long Beach
Splendour of the Seas Sept/09 Venice
Adventure of the Seas Jan/11 San Juan
Adventure of the Seas Feb/12 San Juan
Navigator of the Seas Jan/13 N'arlins

<

Read and post cruise reviewsRead and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews