Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2012, 02:18 PM
Familiar Face

Default Explorer of the Seas brief review

Just got back from an 11 day cruise to the Caribbean from NJ.
My gf and I are in our upper 30's, and let me tell you, we had to shelve a few of our bikini's as it felt 70% of my fellow passengers were older than 65! I felt like I was cruising with a boat full of my grandparents. lol. I thought the highlight was going to be wheelchair races in the motorized and manual divisions!

But, this was our third time on EOS, we love this ship, but it is showing it's age as many say. The carpet in the hallway of our stateroom (7th deck port) was seriously worn and discolored. You could easily see the foot traffic leaving each and every stateroom. Other signs were well worn public seats, light bulbs being out the whole cruise. But the ship was very clean, and the staff is 2nd to none. Our balcony stateroom was perfect. Our cabin steward, waiter, and all we met were awesome. Richard Spacey was our cruise director did a real nice job, but made me miss Dave Chapman who my gf and I loved! All the main shows were real good except for one comedienne/magician. I believe Richard mentioned he is now the full time cd on EOS and will be onboard till around June I think, and returning in the fall.

Food was good, weather was pretty good, but was always cloudy or windy... The ports were very nice, St Marteen, St Kitts, Antigua, San Juan, Labadee.

My only complaint was that this ship was very very crowded. the Windjammer was always over crowded, the various parades way too crowded, pool was too crowded on nice days. Some main shows first show did not start till 9pm, and here too, packed. And be fore warned, even though they tell you not to reserve chairs by the pool, I actually witnessed a few of their own employees doing it for passengers who no doubt compensated them. I wasn't fond of this at all.

Fun time though, although I doubt I will do another long cruise until I too turn 65 so I can be with others my age... lol. I presume it's the older generation that can afford this cruise both financially and time-wise.
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

How were the ports, what all did you do...Looks like a great itinary. Yes, when cruising over 7 days, you tend to get an older crowd..

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Familiar Face

The itinerary was we left Bayonne NJ on Monday about 2 1/2 days at sea Thursday am, Labadee, which was very nice, we avoided the straw market as we didn't want to deal with the cat calls and the locals barking at us to shop their tents; then off to San Juan which was ok, we personally don't get much out of this port; Sat was St Marteen where we hopped a cap to Orient Beach, just lovely; next day St John's Antigua where we went to another beach whose name escapes me at the moment; then St Kitts where we took a panoramic scenic excursion which was gorgeous! Then it was 3 days at sea, which generally I would have loved, but it was pretty windy most sea days (enough to blow some deck chairs around) and pretty cloudy, so there wasn't much tanning time (or at least enough for us). Our favorite stops were St Marteen and St Kitts, and an interesting side note was that there was a motorcycle tour group on our ship and at every stop (except Labadee of course) they rolled their bikes off the ship, met with someone local and off they went for the day on their bikes touring the island! They seemed to love it and who wouldn't! It was quite the spectacle every port we hit.
RCCL is the best for us although their prices are climbing and about pricing us out. We had a great time though and the staff couldn't have been any nicer.