CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Bermuda for the 1st time! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/389140-bermuda-1st-time.html)

cals granny April 30th, 2012 04:11 PM

Bermuda for the 1st time!

Hi All!

We are taking our 1st cruise to Bermuda on Explorer of the Seas on June 30 for 5 days leaving out of Cape Liberty cruise port in Bayonne New Jersey. We have cruised many times before, but never to Bermuda.

We will fly into Newark airport. Here's my question. The earliest flight I can get on our departure date will get us in Newark at noon on departure day. I feel that is cutting it too close in case there is any delay in the flight. So, we were going to fly down the night before and stay in a hotel. Does anyone know of a decent hotel we can stay at in Newark?

Also, is the sand really pink? We were going to take an excursion to Horseshoe Bay Beach (I think that's the correct name). Also going to go to Crystal Caves and take the evening Bermuda Triangle Cruise. I'm going with my 8 year old grandson! Anyone have any opinions on these excursions?

Thanks so much!

Lakers Fan April 30th, 2012 08:52 PM

My suggestion is NOT to stay in a Newark hotel .You might want to check out hotels in Fairlawn or Tenafly.

earl April 30th, 2012 09:14 PM

We cruised to Bermuda last year.had a great time, But the cruise ship
was right on Front street. There are 2 bars facing the ship. there were
outdoor speakers and it was very loud. It was no fun sitting on the Balcony at night!

Lakers Fan April 30th, 2012 09:25 PM

Interesting

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl (Post 1427008)
We cruised to Bermuda last year.had a great time, But the cruise ship
was right on Front street. There are 2 bars facing the ship. there were
outdoor speakers and it was very loud. It was no fun sitting on the Balcony at night!

We took advantage of being able to sit outside and hear the music .It was very relaxing to us .

quincy May 1st, 2012 09:50 AM

Go on "cheap hotels.com" for a hotel right near newark airport. i know there is one, not sure the name. i think marriott.
We have been to bermuda three times and going again in sept. The sand does indeed look pinkish. But of what i remember, when the water hits the sand and receeds back the sand has a pink tint. It looks like the water is spraying a pink tint to the sand. You will love it. Beach is so pretty. Have fun.......

Lakers Fan May 1st, 2012 10:21 AM

You can get a cheap motel but a decent one in Carteret .

Queen of Diamonds May 1st, 2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cals granny (Post 1426972)
Hi All!

We are taking our 1st cruise to Bermuda on Explorer of the Seas on June 30 for 5 days leaving out of Cape Liberty cruise port in Bayonne New Jersey. We have cruised many times before, but never to Bermuda.

We will fly into Newark airport. Here's my question. The earliest flight I can get on our departure date will get us in Newark at noon on departure day. I feel that is cutting it too close in case there is any delay in the flight. So, we were going to fly down the night before and stay in a hotel. Does anyone know of a decent hotel we can stay at in Newark?

Also, is the sand really pink? We were going to take an excursion to Horseshoe Bay Beach (I think that's the correct name). Also going to go to Crystal Caves and take the evening Bermuda Triangle Cruise. I'm going with my 8 year old grandson! Anyone have any opinions on these excursions?

Thanks so much!

Everything you need to know about Cape Liberty, hotels etc is on this
cruiser's website. Brilliant !

Cape Liberty Crusin info

AF1 May 10th, 2012 09:23 AM

If you haven't yet booked a hotel may I suggest Seacaucus. It is about a 20 min taxi ride from Newark airport. There are Courtyard, Embassy, Holiday Inn, Hyatt Place. They are all in same area, there are plenty of places to eat. Outback,chili's, Houlihans, Chipolte, Starbucks. All of this is within walking distance. There is a Walmart across the street if you wanted to to some last minute shopping. I stay here when I fly into Newark on business.

Tif1171 May 19th, 2012 12:53 PM

My husband and I are celebrating our 5th Anniversary on the Explorer of the Seas on June 30th as well! Haven't been to Bermuda yet either but I'm sure it will be a great time. We had our honeymoon on one of it's sister ships, the Mariner and loved the Voyager line! We opted for a rear aft balcony room this time because we had one of these rooms last April on the Radiance and loved the larger size but it can be quite a haul to the back of the ship be we didn't mind. Has anyone had a rear aft balcony room on a Voyager class ship?