Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:43 PM
First Mate

Default Soooooo Excited!!!

Hi everyone!!

I just had to share the amazing news...we are sailing on Oasis of the Seas
in February 2013

We are going with my hubby's cousin and his wife who will be celebrating her big 50 birthday while we're onboard. She wanted to go on the Oasis or Allure but the Oasis had the intinerary she wanted to go on during her birthday.......so the Oasis it is!

We had originally booked the Explorer of the Seas for 7 night Bermuda, but the Oasis sounded amazing! Now.....I just have to figure out how to NOT panic at the thought of going on a plane all the way to Fort Lauderdale..it will be my first experience flying, but 3 hr. flight compared to a 3 day drive...guess it's a no brainer right?? We have always driven to either Cape Liberty or Baltimore for our cruises, but guess it's time we expanded our horizons so to speak.

Gail
Comet Cruiser

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Wonderful news!! Take lots of meds and sleep on the flight Are you going down a day or 2 early?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:13 PM
Admiral

You will love the Oasis! I have sailed on her once and I am thinking of booking another Oasis cruise for next year.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:58 PM
First Mate

Trip.....we are thinking of going down a day early, haven't booked our 1st flight yet, it's going to be close to 2,000.00 just for the flight for hubby and me.. I can see now why we chose to drive to the ports on previous cruises. I don't really like taking more meds than I already take, I might just "wing it" hahaha. I don't drink so can't even have one on the plane to calm myself, but I'll have my best friend with me as well as my hubby and we're taking a DIRECT flight, cause if you get me on a plane, don't expect me to keep going up and down cause it won't be happening!! Once I'm onthe plane the next time I get off I better be in Fort Lauderdale!

Manuel, thanks! We are very excited and can't wait.

Maybe a "road trip" might be a better idea..but it's such a long drive home from Fort Lauderdale to Ontario,and when you get off the ship, all you want to do is be home. I was even thinking of driving to Buffalo, then maybe taking a train....anything to avoid the plane!!

Gail

Old June 4th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Gail, a road trip might be do-able. I have driven from Connecticut to Florida several times.
Now that we live in Florida I see a lot of vehicles with Ontario as well as Quebec plates.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Congrats on your cruise. I have been on Allure; these ships are incredible. A non-stop flight is great. Once you get on you should be ok. Going down a day early is good idea. February can have some tricky weather; so its good to go a day early, stay in hotel, so you won' be rushed on Sat.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old June 6th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Congrats on your cruise on the Oasis. You will love the big ship. Plenty to do. I wouldn't worry too much about the flight. The three hour flight will be over with before you know it. To me the fun part about flying is the take off. Just look forward to having a wonderful time with your hubby and cousins on the Oasis. Enjoy.
Old June 6th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Gail, probably just 2 of the drowsy kind of antihistimine could work. Does for me

Old June 8th, 2012, 10:31 PM
First Mate

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.....still can't make up my "Libra" mind

Trip....what type of antihistamines? I am on blood pressure and cholestorol meds, so I have to be careful what I take.

I have taken long road trips before, when we were kids, my parents and us 3 girls used to drive out to Alberta every summer, so long road trips don't bother me at all.

But it's just so the pricing I've found so far for flying is down right expensive!! It's over $1,000.00 for hubby and me and that's not counting the hotel stay for the night before the cruise. I really do want to go down the day before the cruise so we can get to see some of Fort Lauderdale before we cruise

How early should we be looking at to booking the flight? I have no previous experience with booking flights at all......but I AM a pro at booking cruises

Take care and thanks again!

Gail

Old June 8th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Gail, for sure check with your dr...just regular over the counter type...but the ones that do make you drowsy.

Old June 9th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Congrats on the cruise. It will be interesting to hear how you like Oasis. I am still on the fence about going Mega-Ship but I think the next "family" cruise will be on Oasis or Allure.

Comet: Don't get too worked up over flying. The biggest problem with flying is boredom.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 9th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Boredom is right. I usually try to book my flight as early as possible. That's my choice though but I wouldn't wait too long. I like to have my travel arrangements in place long before I travel. Less stuff to worry about. One thing though, If you are booking thru a search engine other than the airlines own website, some of those search engines will not let you choose your seats. Some will. All of the airlines own sites will let you choose you seats. This is important if you are traveling with someone. Once DW and I used a site that was not the airlines and they chose seats for us and I was on one end of the plane and she was on the other. Just something to think about.
Old June 9th, 2012, 12:48 PM
First Mate

Thanks again everyone for your input.

Trip, I will for sure check with the Dr. about something to take. Thanks!

Mike, I hope the worst thing about my first plane trip is boredom....that's the least of my problems! Claustrophobia is the worst one! The largest ship that we have been on has been the Explorer of the Seas 4 times so this will be quite the experience, people do say though that even though there will be over 5,000 ppl onboard it doesn't seem crowded most of the time, guess we'll find out in February.

Seadog, yes I am like you, I like to have ALL the preparations done well ahead of time. Then I can relax and just plan what to take. I for sure will want to be seated on the plane with either my hubby or my girlfriend, so booking through the airline direct is best then? I'm such a newbie at this flight stuff....but guess I'm going to learn with all of your help which I GREATLY APPRECIATE

Thanks again everyone!

Gail

Old June 11th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Admiral

I sailed Allure with 5400 guests. Did not feel crowded at all. experts say book your flight early and book on a Wed. its cheaper to book on a Wed, and its cheaper when you book further out.

Go Reds
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:49 AM
First Mate

Thanks AF1 for your help

So according to you I should be looking to book a flight on a Wednesday, and for all of you cruisemates who are familiar with flying, I was wondering if it's better to book directly with the airline or use a travel agent. I'm so "green" at this fllight "stuff"....I just want everything to go good for my first time!

But for sure book a flight EARLY?? Our cruise isn't until February but the sooner the better to book?

Sorry for so many questions, but I know the best place to find out anything about cruising is HERE!!

Thanks again Cruisemates for ALL of your HELP!

Gail

Old June 11th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Gail, Wednesday does seem to be the cheapest day, and I like to book everything as early as possible.
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:48 PM
Admiral

your cruise is booked, you know the dates you want to arrive in Florida, and you know what day you return, so u can book. Here are a few tips; look for nonstop both ways, don't book a flight home earlier than 10am. the port is ten minutes from the airport, and there will be taxi's waiting to take u to the airport.

Go Reds

Last edited by AF1; June 21st, 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling