Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Captain

Default Specialty food carts on Allure and Oasis?

Would cruisemates like specialty food carts in designated areas at specified times. Some food carts could be associated with restaurants on the ship. A Johnny Rocket hamburger cart by the swimming pools. The food served from the cart could be specialty type. The vendor crewmember would then prepare and serve the specialty food from the cart.

Each cart would have a food specialty like Indian Kaati rolls and biriyani, Salvadoran pupusas and tamales, Korean tacos,.
Greek foods, especially souvlaki, gyros, pita such as tyropita and spanakopita (respectively, cheese and spinach pie), Belgian-style fries, waffles and poutine

The cart idea could be extended to specialty wines, beer and liquor. Specialty carts could be used for a food festival or to celebrate a food holiday like National Doughnut Day and the carts could be put on the pier to serve passengers they leave and board the ship.
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

nice idea, but royal has this already. the wipe out cafe is in the pool area, u walk a few feet. they offer everything . so u dont need johnny rockets at the pool. there is he 24 hr cafe in promenade, and they offer a donut coffee kiosk in he mornings. in central park u have the park cafe.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old June 7th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Admiral

I think it would be a great idea. Food carts have taken off in Vancouver in the last year. They have great food. Could be a really interesting concept on a big ship like Oasis or Allure.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 7th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Admiral

How much food can one eat on a cruise?

There is plenty of food available on the Oasis and the Allure already.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old June 7th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Admiral

I don't think it's about getting "More" it's about getting "Different"

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 10th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
I don't think it's about getting "More" it's about getting "Different"
You got it in one. There is a sameness about the hot dogs, pizza and hamburger luncheon menus that specialty food carts could overcome. Not only do I like the food variety idea, I like the idea of groups of people lining up to get the food because it adds an opportunity to meet with people.
There is also the factor that if the food is good enough people will seek it out. I know that when I go on NCL I make sure I get the chicken wings and sauce.
Old June 10th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Admiral

The #3 ranked restaurant in Vancouver (trip advisor) started a food truck this week...popular would be an understatement. I think they're great

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
The #3 ranked restaurant in Vancouver (trip advisor) started a food truck this week...popular would be an understatement. I think they're great
You know the other benefit of food carts would be that if a restaurant concept is not successful than you don't have to come up with a new restaurant concept. I believe that the Doughnut Shop and Rosies Cantina may have fallen victim to lack of customer acceptance. How much easier would it be to put in a number of food carts with a variety of food to whet the cruiser's appetite. I would think that the cost would be cheaper and profit margins could be pretty good without the capital investment of a restaurant.

As an aside, maybe one of the ships have this specialty food, and I may have missed it. The specialty is large soft pretzels covered with sea salt and as a condiment Heinz mustard to spread on them.