CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Royal Caribbean: A Third Oasis? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/392230-royal-caribbean-third-oasis.html)

Paul Motter October 3rd, 2012 05:59 PM

Royal Caribbean: A Third Oasis?

Royal Caribbean: A Third Oasis?
by Paul Motter

A Finnish newspaper is saying that Royal Caribbean is close to ordering a third vessel in the "Oasis" class.

http://www.cruisemates.com/images/CM/home/oasis.jpg
Oasis of the Seas
Largest cruise ships in the world

This is the largest class of cruise ship in the world coming in at 220,000-gross tons, about 1/3 third larger than the next largest cruise ships ever built.

Currently, there are only two Oasis-class vessels; Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas. Royal Caribbean has never affirmed nor denied that they will ever build any more of these ships; the closest they have ever come to saying they will is the comment, "Never say never."

Read more: Royal Caribbean: A Third Oasis?

aerospace October 3rd, 2012 06:24 PM

It seems like a good idea. Both ships are well liked, prices are stable well above the norm, and it might allow them to spread beyond the Caribbean.

Wonder what new things they will wow us with?

Paul Motter October 3rd, 2012 06:35 PM

It always happens that these vessels seem bigger than real life - but once they are out more ports of call want them so they build out.

Dave Beers October 3rd, 2012 06:45 PM

My big question is where would they put the ship? Perhaps homeport it in Europe as they did with Independence Of The Seas? The larger ports in the Mediterranean are more capable of handling these large ships, but of course some modifications would be needed to the pier facilities. It still would not be as big an engineering effort as what had to be done to Labadee, Cozumel, Falmouth, etc.

This story also smacks of Finland making the first overture and not Royal Caribbean, which would bode well for the cruise line since they might get a really good deal in exchange for helping keep thousands of people employed at STX.

Mike M October 3rd, 2012 07:06 PM

Gee: If they put one more in the ocean the displacement will flood the coasts across the planet. ;);):D

They are successful. If they can keep filling two why not go for three.

Take care,
Mike

Snoozeman October 3rd, 2012 07:19 PM

Maybe they would put one in Galveston, it's already been discussed with the port.

Donna October 3rd, 2012 07:53 PM

AT the moment, they are only able to visit a few ports, if more would open up for these ships, all the better...

Sulross October 3rd, 2012 10:03 PM

Sunshine Class

I thought they cancelled the third Oasis class and the next class was going to be "The Sunshine" class which is between Voyager and Oasis class ships:cry:

ready2gonow October 3rd, 2012 10:17 PM

I believe the Sunshine class is currently under construction (or well into the design phase). They are being very tight-lipped about what new features this ship will hold. I would love to see another Oasis class ship, as think they're fabulous! I sailed on the Oasis of the Seas a couple of years ago and will sail on the Allure of the Seas next summer.

Manuel October 4th, 2012 06:41 AM

I also like the Oasis class ships. I have sailed on both the Oasis and the Allure and will be cruising on the Oasis this coming spring.

TM

Dave Beers October 5th, 2012 10:14 AM

This morning a Royal Caribbean spokeswoman said this was a 'rumor' and 'we don't comment on rumors'. So, with that response they didn't deny it is true and went further by saying they only put out official information in press releases. Quite a bit of weasel words.

Donna October 5th, 2012 10:32 AM

Well, she didn't say yes or no, humm?? I would think, they are working more on the new Sunshine class at this point, but who knows?

leonrdofan October 10th, 2012 02:00 PM

FWIW, the Sunshine class ships are being built in Germany by Meyer Werft, who built Celebrity's S class. They are not being built by STX.

Paul Motter October 10th, 2012 02:48 PM

You are right, of course. I knew it was Meyer Werft. thank you.

beachbum13 November 27th, 2012 11:23 PM

One day on our Oasis cruise last month we had lunch with a guy who was saying he heard that RCI is working on access to 3-4 new ports for Oasis class ships in the Caribbean.

He also said that the new ship would be in Europe for part of the year and the Caribbean for the rest of the year.

He seemed to know what he was talking about. But then again everybody is an expert! :rolleyes:

When they announce new ports and/or a the new ship then I'll be excited. :cool: Till then it's fun reading, dreaming and guessing.

Donna November 28th, 2012 09:37 AM

That seems to be the only drawback for these ships, lack of ports that can handle their size and all the passengers.. Open up new ports would be wonderful for these and any new builds.