Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2012, 06:54 PM
First Mate

Exclamation Oasis - gluten-free diet

Nine days before we depart on our cruise on the Oasis and my better half has been placed on a gluten-free diet. Do I need to amend my "Anytime Dining" or notify anyone so that she can find gluten-free things to eat at meals???

I postponed my check up till after the cruise!!!

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Royal Caribbean announced just today that they have revamped the dining room choices in a significant upgrade project. Here is an excerpt from the press release:

"Catering to the increasing demand of heart-healthy, gluten-free and lactose-free options for guests, Royal Caribbean also has enlisted a registered and licensed dietitian and nutrition consultant to evaluate existing menus, create new offerings for guests with dietary restrictions, and shape the cruise line’s current gluten-free and lactose-free program into a more guest-friendly experience. All low calorie, gluten-free and lactose-free options will be clearly identified with respective menu icons as well as menu selections that can be modified to fit these requirements for guests. The updated menu format also includes a new vegetarian symbol, which is the official symbol of the European Vegetarian Union and considered the most widely used vegetarian symbol worldwide for easy recognition. In addition to the new menu designations, Royal Caribbean is rolling out new daily gluten-free bread offerings, available on request in all venues, including specialty restaurants."

I do suggest you contact your agent, if you use one, or Royal Caribbean directly to advise them that your booking now requires a gluten-free diet for your spouse.
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Familiar Face

Default Lorsin's dream cruise

So glad I spotted this post, as I was going to check this out for myself, last time I was overseas, I was Lactose intolerant, not knowing at that time it was because of Gluten intolerance, I could not enjoy a decent coffee as no one had soy milk, until, last day in Paris, discovered hot chocolate, not a milky version we have here in Australia, so thanks so much for this post and replies, I can feel sure of eating comfortably during my cruise of the Med next year on Royal Carabbean.
Old October 27th, 2012, 11:42 PM
First Mate

Thumbs up

We just got back from our cruise on Oasis and thought we would update this thread. Before eating in the dining room each time we would tell the waiter that she was on a gluten free diet. If the waiter was not familiar with the selections on the menu he would get the head waiter to go over the menu and discuss her options.

We had "My Time Dining" for dinner but always ate in the same spot and all but one night with the same waiter. Each night the head waiter would come over with a copy of the next nights menu and help her choose her meal.

The staff on the Oasis went out of their way to help us and make sure that she got the right foods. The new menu now have symbols for certain diets. But you should still consult the wait staff.

PS - The food was excellent!!! (gluten-free bread not so much)

Old October 28th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I have cruised twice since being diagnosed with Celiac's. Both of those were on Carnival and I was very happy at how they accommodated me. I could usually figure things out on my own but when in doubt the waiters and Lido staff would either answer my question or "Ask". I never had a problem.

I'm glad they are putting more emphasis on Gluten Free. For me it's a requirement but many people are making it a lifestyle. I do feel it's sort of the "Atkins" of today and will gradually fade out but for now I'm happy with the emphasis on Gluten Free and how the cruise lines are addressing it.

My Father-In-Law also had Celiac's and he had a real problem with dining out and cruising. Ten years ago when we cruised with him the staff had no idea what "gluten free" was and I did most of the choosing of his food. I'm glad this has changed.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:26 PM
First Mate

I will follow up here on my own thread. The crew of the Oasis was fantastic!!!! Every meal we just told the waiter and if he was at all unsure he would get the head waiter. At dinner we sat in the same section everynight and the head waiter would come over to the table and show us the next nights menu and she would make her selections. On a couple of ocassions he brought her a special desert. I can't say enough about the dining staff. Friendly, helpfull and professional! <3 The best we have ever had. And the food was great!