CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Royal Caribbean - New Wine Policy (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/392985-royal-caribbean-new-wine-policy.html)

Paul Motter November 9th, 2012 03:26 PM

Royal Caribbean - New Wine Policy

by Paul Motter

Royal Caribbean now allows boarding guests to bring two bottles of wine or champagne aboard

http://www.cruisemates.com/images/CM/home/winetoast.jpg
Guests can now bring two bottles
of wine on Royal Caribbean ships

In an important change in policy, Royal Caribbean now allows guests boarding its cruises to bring two bottles of wine or champagne onboard, as long as they do so during the initial cruise embarkation (not in a port of call).

The line now allows each stateroom to bring two 750 milliliter bottles of wine or champagne. Guests are not allowed to bring any other beverages onboard the ship, including beer, soda, water or hard liquor.

Dave Beers November 9th, 2012 05:27 PM

I'd really like to know the inside details that led to this change. Most Royal Caribbean loyalists had long since accepted the line's zero tolerance policy on personal beverages so this news was a bit surprising to me.

I imagine the bottom line is that most people still won't bother with bringing wine, and thus the impact on bar sales is negligible. I've rarely seen a corkage fee imposed on anyone on the other cruise lines, and so I wonder how strict Royal will be about it.

Personally I am not interested in lugging around bottles of wine just to save a buck, but then I am not a big wine drinker either.

Donna November 9th, 2012 06:13 PM

I am truly glad to hear this new information, it is a start...I personally don't drink enough to even bother, but I think a bottle or two of wine would be nice to have in your cabin to drink throughout the week...

seadog2 November 9th, 2012 07:34 PM

Wow, too bad they stopped making Ripple!!!

Queen of Diamonds November 10th, 2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1454180)
by Paul Motter

Royal Caribbean now allows boarding guests to bring two bottles of wine or champagne aboard

http://www.cruisemates.com/images/CM/home/winetoast.jpg
Guests can now bring two bottles
of wine on Royal Caribbean ships

In an important change in policy, Royal Caribbean now allows guests boarding its cruises to bring two bottles of wine or champagne onboard, as long as they do so during the initial cruise embarkation (not in a port of call).

The line now allows each stateroom to bring two 750 milliliter bottles of wine or champagne. Guests are not allowed to bring any other beverages onboard the ship, including beer, soda, water or hard liquor.

So they now allow wine but will no longer allow water or soda? One hand gives, the other takes away. Now they can continue to charge $4 for a bottle of water..

Manuel November 10th, 2012 09:47 AM

My next cruise is on the Oasis. I am a wine drinker but I am not taking wine onboard.
I enjoy wine with dinner and if I can afford to go on a cruise I can afford a few botles of wine. The same goes for water or soda.

TM

Donna November 10th, 2012 10:29 AM

Manuel,
I also agree with you there, and the tap water is just fine with some ice. I also enjoy their iced tea and lemonaide, not a big soda drinker....so this works fine for me..

Dave Beers November 10th, 2012 10:36 AM

Actually their personal beverage policy has included a ban on water and soft drinks for quite a while, so that part isn't new. But it has normally not been enforced if it was just some cans of soda or bottled water.

Manuel November 10th, 2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1454218)
Manuel,
I also agree with you there, and the tap water is just fine with some ice. I also enjoy their iced tea and lemonaide, not a big soda drinker....so this works fine for me..

I also enjoy their iced tea. My DW drinks soda but not that much, so it not a big deal. We just relax and enjoy the cruise.

TM

Paul Motter November 10th, 2012 02:29 PM

Thanks for the clarification Dave....

Yes, I think it is funny that they would say "the reason is that people may have special vintages they want to bring"

now - that is a completely valid statement, but funny when you think that MANY people will probably be bringing 2-buck chuck.

Dave Beers November 10th, 2012 07:31 PM

Yes indeed! I'm sure "special vintages" means two bottles of Thunderbird to more than one future guest. I know that sounds condescending but we all know it is true.

Manuel November 11th, 2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1454245)

Yes, I think it is funny that they would say "the reason is that people may have special vintages they want to bring"

now - that is a completely valid statement, but funny when you think that MANY people will probably be bringing 2-buck chuck.

Do they have bottles of wine for two dollars?

Boy I have been getting ripped off. LOL

TM

bonro001 January 20th, 2014 07:20 PM

Slightly different take

I like the new policy, my wife is allergic to sulfites and drinks a local wine (water to wine) that is low in preservatives and sulfites. Would gladly buy it on board if they sold it.

ralphj January 21st, 2014 03:18 PM

It's a start, but the fun is buying local wines along the way, especially if you are in a wine producing area (Chile, Argentina, France, Spain...) On a Mediterranean cruise went to a liquor store in Mallorca and asked for a bottle each of their best 10 euro wine and best 20 euro wine--sales clerk really got into it and it was one of the happiest experiences of the cruise...

Travelbuggs January 28th, 2014 06:51 PM

Have not sailed Royal for awhile, but considering Oasis or Allure someday. Are the 2 bottles which can be brought onboard for in cabin use only, or can they be taken to the dining rooms to drink during dinner?

Dave Beers January 28th, 2014 07:34 PM

The official policy is that personal wine brought to a dining venue or bar invokes a corkage fee ($25 I think). Personally I have never been charged the corkage fee when I brought bottles of wine that were gifts from my agent or whoever and delivered to my cabin into the main dining room for an assigned seating dinner. Of course in those situations our waiter didn't really want to jeopardize his tips for the sake of a corkage fee. I have heard reports of it happening at My Time dining, and in some other circumstances. I don't bother bringing my own wine aboard.