CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Royal Caribbean: New Beverage and Dining Programs (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/393690-royal-caribbean-new-beverage-dining-programs.html)

Paul Motter December 17th, 2012 03:49 PM

Royal Caribbean: New Beverage and Dining Programs

Royal Caribbean: New Beverage and Dining Programs
by Paul Motter

New inclusive beverage and dining packages make cruising more comprehensive and less complicated

http://www.cruisemates.com/images/CM...hopsGrille.jpg
Chops Grille is the
Royal Caribbean
branded steakhouse

Royal Caribbean is introducing two new beverage programs to 13 of its ships immediately that will allow guests to pay one price at the beginning of their cruise and then enjoy a wide selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages at no additional cost for the duration of their voyage.

Trackypup December 17th, 2012 06:14 PM

I'm usually in favour of drink packages but can't imagine paying $55 a day and being limited to crappy house wine. If it were like Celebrity's at $12 a glass then I'd probably be interested.

Paul Motter December 17th, 2012 07:11 PM

Where did you get the information on the limitations in the wine selection? I didn't see that in any material I have. I looked on the RC web site as the press release directed but did not see any added information.

Dave Beers December 17th, 2012 07:24 PM

The press release I got only mentions 'house wines by the glass' as being part of the two packages.

Paul Motter December 17th, 2012 07:52 PM

I guess that if you parse the one press release Tracky is correct, and usually that is the correct thing to do, although sometimes they don't write every little detail you need to know.

The premium package mentions "premium brands" for cocktails, but that is different than wines.

However, I think some of these cruise lines already have wine packages for people who specifically want wines; both house wines & premium (at two different prices).

Trackypup December 17th, 2012 07:56 PM

Any news on this release has said House Wine so I guess we'll see happens in reality. It doesn't make sense to get Premium Liquor and serve house wine. Time will tell. But I wouldn't buy it on their current press releases.

Dave Beers December 17th, 2012 08:09 PM

Even the premium liquors do not cover everything. They have a list of what is considered premium for the package purchasers.

banshee72 December 17th, 2012 08:54 PM

With a name like Beers I'm thinking you dont drink a lot of liquor :-P Seriously, do you have the list?

Dave Beers December 17th, 2012 10:08 PM

10 Cane Rum, Barcardi 8, Pyrat XO, Belvedere, Chopin, Sauza Conmemmorativo, Carlos 1, Bakers, Crown Royal Reserve, Grey Goose, Kettle One, Tanqueray 10, Hendrick's, Courvoisier VS, Knob Creek, Glenfiddich, Macallan Elegancia 12 year, and The Glenlivet.

Trackypup December 17th, 2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Beers (Post 1458889)
10 Cane Rum, Barcardi 8, Pyrat XO, Belvedere, Chopin, Sauza Conmemmorativo, Carlos 1, Bakers, Crown Royal Reserve, Grey Goose, Kettle One, Tanqueray 10, Hendrick's, Courvoisier VS, Knob Creek, Glenfiddich, Macallan Elegancia 12 year, and The Glenlivet.

That's a pretty decent list. Now if they could get rid of that house wine thing I might actually sail them again.

Dave the Wave December 18th, 2012 02:01 PM

I guess I could drink $55 worth per day if my cabin mate can keep up. That is less than 10 drinks. Or about 10 beers. Says it includes the tip or "service charge". I'd like to see it available on shorter cruises though.

cruisefritz December 18th, 2012 02:07 PM

Not such a good deal if all members over 21 sharing a cabin must also purchase the package. My wife does not drink alcoholic beverages, and we would be forced to pay this fee for her as well, if I were to chose this option for myself.

docjph December 18th, 2012 02:24 PM

My average cruise tab for the whole cruise with all tips is under $500. They are talking about $770 just for drinks. There is no way I would even think about doing this BUT, as a stock holder, I hope you all buy into it!!:)

cruznstisle December 18th, 2012 03:45 PM

I know this thread is specifically speaking to RCCL, but I just returned from the Carnival Breeze (8-day E Carib) and they had this deal going also (Cheers). $49/day (including 15% gratuity) that included all drinks up to $10 and then discounts on anything above. The drinks were beer, wine, non-alcoholic, and alcoholic cocktails and included the premiums listed. The only time you would go over $10 was if there was something really special. For those who drink the basics, whether frozen or rocks, etc. you would be fine. I'm not trying to sell Carnival vs. RCCL, just that it may not be the best deal. I bought it, and drank like I normally would, with a little extra on sea days, and they made money on me. I kept my receipts and added them up on the last day to compare and Carnival was +100. So, be realistic on what you would drink before buying the package. The good thing is you never think about the cost because you've already paid it.

gsosings December 23rd, 2012 01:58 AM

cheaper beverage package

Since my g/f and I don't drink anywhere near enough ;) to justify this $700+ option, we'll continue to use our "cheaper UNLIMITED beverage package" at a cost of around $25. It does involve some pre-cruise 'preparation' & the purchase of 'special containers' :cool: (If you know what "Rumrunners" are, you know what I mean) :D

uscgwife January 4th, 2013 03:44 PM

Does anyone happen to have a picture of a drink menu? I would like to know how much drinks such as a bud light, rum and coke and frozen drinks cost.

Thanks!

Dave Beers January 4th, 2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscgwife (Post 1460477)
Does anyone happen to have a picture of a drink menu? I would like to know how much drinks such as a bud light, rum and coke and frozen drinks cost.

Thanks!

No images but the current prices for the above are: $5.25 for Bud Light (served in 16 oz aluminum bottles), $5.75 for a Barcadi & Coke, and frozen drinks will vary from $6.25 to around $8. Add 15% automatic gratuity to each.

my63gthawk January 20th, 2013 05:43 PM

Drink Package

To spend $770 on drinks alone for 7 days?
We paid LESS than that combined for the entire cruise.
RCCL Diamond Members get Free Drinks for Happy hour prior to dinner.
I sure as heck would NOT want to be on a cruise where everybody on board was that wasted. Will the bartenders really shut off a customer who appears to have had too much? What a commotion that would cause. Does anybody remember the Royal Caribbean cruise where the couple from Connecticut was on their honeymoon and she was found passed out in the hall. He was never found. Just a blood stain on the canopy below their balcony. Sure, a great way for the cruise company to line their pockets and a sure fire way to end up with brawls or worse.