Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Just booked Freedom of the Seas - December 15th 2013 - I am a newbie lots of ????

Hi!

I just booked a 7 night on FOS for December 15th 2013. We will be traveling to CocoCay, San Juan & St. Maarten with 3 days at sea.

- I actually had a Disney cruise booked for the same time but I cancelled in favor of the FOS. The kids club being only ages 3-5 did it for me. I was nervous about having my 3 year old in a giant area with kids up to the age of 11.

So... being this is the 1st RCL cruise I have booked myself I have some questions.

1) How will I know what nights/how many nights are formal?
How formal are the formal night on FOS? We cruised on SOS back in 2006 and I think there were only about 5 other men besides my hubby and FIL in tuxes.

2) Booze drink packages - worth it? What are the limitations?

3) Kids club info for ages 3-5 - What kind of activities do they do? Did your child enjoy the activities?

4) Nursery/babysitting - How do you book? Need info just in case my son isn't potty trained in time.

5) What are rules about bringing food onboard - I am thinking it will be helpful to have a stash of granola bars or crackers for my son.

6) Are there fridges in the staterooms?

7) What are some shore excrusions that you did and loved?

8) Did you use the toy lending program? How does it work? Are the toys nice?

9) I have seen a lot of things on forums about the Noro virus.. how worried should I be. I mean I know that I can protect myself by washing my hands and such but should I be worried about my son contracting it in the kids club. Should I carry clorox wipes with me on the ship?

10) What is your favorite things about Freedom of the Seas? Favorite area? Any must not miss things?

Thank you so much for reading this and thank you even more if you reply. Enough of my questions for now!
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I'll try to answer what I can. Was just on FOS last March with my 10 year old.

1) How will I know what nights/how many nights are formal? On a 7 day cruise, there are two formal nights according to RCCL's website. We did not find out which nights those were until we were on the ship. If I can find my Compasses from the ship, I can look and see which nights ours were.

How formal are the formal night on FOS? We cruised on SOS back in 2006 and I think there were only about 5 other men besides my hubby and FIL in tuxes. <I saw a mixture, but more suits than tuxes. My son wore a suit on formal night, but did not wear a jacket on "smart casual" nights.

2) Booze drink packages - worth it? What are the limitations? <For me, they are not. I am not a big drinker. They are $45 a day and I wouldn't drink that much. More info here Royal Caribbean Beverage Packages | Royal Caribbean Blog

3) Kids club info for ages 3-5 - What kind of activities do they do? Did your child enjoy the activities? <My son is 10. Can't answer this. He did enjoy it the day he attended in his age group.

4) Nursery/babysitting - How do you book? Need info just in case my son isn't potty trained in time.

5) What are rules about bringing food onboard - I am thinking it will be helpful to have a stash of granola bars or crackers for my son.

6) Are there fridges in the staterooms? Yes

7) What are some shore excrusions that you did and loved? Son LOVED the turtle excursion in Georgetown, Grand Cayman. We did the dolphin excursion in Cozumel, but the liked the turtles better. We liked the "Discover Haiti Coastal Cruise" in Labadee. We took an excursion to a plantation in Falmouth that he did not like. The plantation was interesting, but WAY too much driving time. I'm being careful with respect to that in choosing excursions from now on.

8) Did you use the toy lending program? How does it work? Are the toys nice?

9) I have seen a lot of things on forums about the Noro virus.. how worried should I be. I mean I know that I can protect myself by washing my hands and such but should I be worried about my son contracting it in the kids club. Should I carry clorox wipes with me on the ship? I didn't and had no issues.

10) What is your favorite things about Freedom of the Seas? Favorite area? Any must not miss things? The balcony on our cabin. Free cookies from the cafe in the promenade. The pool area. Enjoyed the magic show. The pool area is wonderful. Don't miss walking around the deck at night and looking at the stars with your kids. :-)
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you for responding. I am trying to spend the next few months getting all the insider info so I can enjoy the ship and my vacation.
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Let me try and answer some of your questions about Freedom. We took our five grandkids and they were ages 2-14. Our kids loved the activities. They were at the Adventure Ocean club from sun up to sun down. They did things like pirates scavenger hunt. American idol dance competition. So much to do. The nursery is available; suggest you go to adventure ocean on departure day, I believe they have open house at3 and 7pm and they explain all about the clubs, nursery, toy lending etc. your little ones will love the H2O zone. The flow rider is awesome, three oldest grandkids had fun riding the waves every day. Formal night for us was the first sea day and next to last sea day. We had same itinerary as you. U can bring snacks onboard for your kids. The frig in room comes stocked with soda and bottled water(they will charge for these items). We did beach days at st Thomas, st maartin, and cocoa cay. Fav show was the magician.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Formal nights are usually on a sea day. They won't be on the first or last night, so you can narrow it down.
Don't miss the Ice show, it is fantastic, plus they have parades down the main promenade, the first one is late in the evening of your first day- I found those very enjoyable...
Old March 7th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Most times the formal nights are the 2nd and 5th nights. There are some variations to this but that is normal for most 7 night cruises. The second formal night is usually lobster night.
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Familiar Face

I see all the questions have been answered !

I just wanted to say my very first cruise was on Freedom of the Seas. She was the largest cruise ship in the world when I sailed her in February of 2008. She's the reason for my addiction!

Freedom class remains my favourite! Even over Oasis. I've sailed both Independence and Liberty too! You will love her!

Check out my Travel Adventures on Video! http://www.youtube.com/deekie13

Countdown...