Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via ICQ to Iris123 Send a message via AIM to Iris123 Send a message via MSN to Iris123 Send a message via Yahoo to Iris123
Default universal excursion on EOS

I will be on the EOS and they offer an excursion to Universal Studios and the cost with transportation is around 125 per person. We dock at 1 and by the time we get to US will be around 2:30 - 3:00. The park closes at 9PM... Wondering if it's worth the expense and do I have enough time to see US...

Also will there be provisions for any kind of dinner like a buffet when we get back to the ship around 10:30...

Thanks

Iris
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Overall, no you won't be able to see all of Universal in that time span. There are 2 parks, the other being Islands Of Adventure. If you've never been here, you'd still enjoy what you get to see, and that is dependant on the season. If low attendance, you'll see more. Summer and holidays are awful, you spend a great deal of time in waiting lines. The price you quoted is not outrageous, the cost of getting into the park itself is high.
If this is a once in a lifetime visit, you'd enjoy it.
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Admiral

IMO No I don't think it's worth it. Explorer really needs to get to the port of Orlando earlier. Docking in the afternoon then having to get to Universal or Disney is alittle much.

When are you cruising? Spring break is coming up and the parks are jam packed. Also summers are very busy at the parks. You stated the parks close at 9pm which I believe you are going during a busier time. Slow times they close at 6pm Universal and 7pm Islands.

Both parks Universal and Islands are awesome but getting there at 3 would be very rushed to get to everything.

Even during slower times some rides do have waits. Just checked the wait times for today and Harry Potter is 40 minutes, Minion Mayham is 45 minutes, Hollywood Rip ride is 40 minutes, The Simpsons is 35 minutes and Spiderman is 25 minutes. The first monday in February is considered a slow day.

If you really have your heart set on going to the parks the other option would be buying a fast pass and that will get you in and out of rides in no time. However the pass is additional.

As for the ship setting up a buffet late for the cruisers that miss earlier dinner due to being out I have not heard of this being done....

Have a great cruise!!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

For me, nope, I can't see the expense for just those few hours, not enough time to truly see what you'd want to, especially if waiting in lines is a good deal of the time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via ICQ to Iris123 Send a message via AIM to Iris123 Send a message via MSN to Iris123 Send a message via Yahoo to Iris123

Thanks for all your input... Very nice to take the time for my question...

I will be traveling Easter Sunday which is on Sunday and a spring break for public schools in NJ...I will arrive in Florida Tuesday April 2nd.

I did check where I was going to buy the tickets www.undercovertourist and they have a crowd calendar. That day it says GREEN for light crowds... I really don't believe it because all the other days it says RED for heavy crowds...

I was on the EOS last year to Bermuda and loved it...Same spring break...
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Easter? Don't go to the parks. The overflow from Disney at Easter goes to the alternate parks.
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris123 View Post
Thanks for all your input... Very nice to take the time for my question...

I will be traveling Easter Sunday which is on Sunday and a spring break for public schools in NJ...I will arrive in Florida Tuesday April 2nd.

I did check where I was going to buy the tickets www.undercovertourist and they have a crowd calendar. That day it says GREEN for light crowds... I really don't believe it because all the other days it says RED for heavy crowds...

I was on the EOS last year to Bermuda and loved it...Same spring break...
I just checked your site, it's registering red that week.
Old February 5th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Easter week is super busy at the parks. To really enjoy the day at Universal on April 2nd would be if the ship was getting there early and you can be at the park at 10am AND with a fast pass.

The Fast pass on that day is an additional $70. per person. Since the fast pass is priced that high on that day they are expecting lines and lines of people. I bet the wait for Harry Potter will be well over an hour. And the fast pass does not apply to Harry Potter. Fastest way to do Potter is going on the single rider line.

have an awesome cruise!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Welcome Newcomer

thanks again for all your info. I decided not to go on that excursion....

I also hate to miss dinner. I know years ago ships had a nice midnight buffet that was great for late arrivals...

thanks,

Iris from NJ
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris123 View Post
thanks again for all your info. I decided not to go on that excursion....

I also hate to miss dinner. I know years ago ships had a nice midnight buffet that was great for late arrivals...

thanks,

Iris from NJ
In this case, not going is a great choice. You'd be out too much money for a minimal experience due to it being so busy that week at the parks.
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Just a follow-up from all your responses...

Of course I didn't go to Universal but I did hear a few people that went on this excursion. They went to Island of adventures and stood on line for over 3 hours to see Harry Potter. They went to one other ride and it was time to leave..
All the people said it was a huge mistake and "live and learn."

This site will help others who may consider going..........
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Not surprised that there was a 3 hour wait for Harry Potter Forbidden Journey. To do Universal excursion with a ship that is docking in Orlando in the afternoon is really a very rushed few hours.

Even if you buy the fast pass Harry Potter is not included in fast pass.

Forbidden Journey is an awesome ride.

I bet your day was alot better and relaxing then those that ventured to Universal. My wait limit is 30 minutes will not wait more then that for any ride.

The best way to do it is staying onsite at a Universal hotel this way you get the one hour early opening before the rest of the world comes in. Plus even faster if you go on the single rider line if you don't mind sitting apart from your group.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas