Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Familiar Face

Default Explorer of the Seas

My husband and I are trying to decide between two cruises for April '14 for our anniversary. We have never sailed RCCL and was wondering, what is the dinner dress code for the anytime dining option? We're not "dress up" kind of people and when we sailled with NCL last time that was one of the best things about the ship. Thanks all.

Need some cruise help?

Norwegian Dawn 2010
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Captain

Exclamation Explorer Dress Code

The "suggested" dress code for My Time Dining is the same as the main dining room.

On non-formal nights, the suggested dress is smart casual, which, for men, means Dockers-type pants, and a golf shirt. For ladies, it's probably slacks and a nice top (ladies, help me out here).

On formal nights, it's a suit/tux for men, formal gown/pants suit for ladies.

Shorts are not permitted at dinner in any venue (except, maybe, the Windjammer buffet).

Having said all of the above, I can tell you that you will probably see guys in jeans and a ball cap trying to go to dinner in the MDR on formal night. Depending on the ship, and the personnel at the door, they may or may not get in.

This is one of my main complaints, as well as others who will probably post. If the cruise line wants to have men in tuxedos or suits, then they should remove the word "suggested" from the dress code. Same applies to women.

We have seen everything from very formal dress to VERY casual dress in the MDR on formal night.

This subject probably gets more comments than any other, except, maybe, the subject of "chair reserving" at the pools.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your cruise.

Pootersdad
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can also opt out to have dinner in the Buffet, found it suprising good and you can wear more casual clothes, although dinner in the dining room on formal evenings are pretty special. Now adays there is no real need to dress in a tux, but just some nice dress clothes will do..

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Familiar Face

Been on that ship and on formal night there where people in tees and shorts when we where in suits and ties, dresses not going to stop you they want there tip. you can pull a NCL on explore of the sea
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I have been on the Explorer twice. Both fantastic cruises, great ship, great crew.

For dinner on "formal night" you will see everything from tuxedos to casual (shirts with collars).

Here is a link to my photo albums if you would like to see some pix of those cruises: