CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   The upgrade fairy does exist (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/396828-upgrade-fairy-does-exist.html)

Dave Beers June 6th, 2013 07:44 PM

The upgrade fairy does exist

We are going on the Oasis this coming Saturday and were booked in a Junior Suite. This afternoon RCI called and offered to move us to a Grand Suite. Obviously I took them up on the offer. Our first cruise as Diamond Plus members and we get a 'real' upgrade. Cool.

Realistically it just means more room (about 100 sq ft, but a humongous balcony), a gold card, and access to gold card areas such as the private sunning area and bar on the pool deck, since we already had concierge lounge access as D+, and were getting double points for the JS. But still, I am quite excited about it.

felix_the_cat June 6th, 2013 08:06 PM

Congratulations!!! We've been D+ for years and never yet received an upgrade. Nice to know that little fairy is alive and well.

Dave Beers June 6th, 2013 08:47 PM

A friend of mine is just one cruise away from making Pinnacle Club and it was only in the past 3 years that he finally got his first upgrade. I guess there is no rhyme or reason to it sometimes. I'll take them when offered, but if I never get another upgrade it won't bother me.

felix_the_cat June 6th, 2013 09:34 PM

It doesn't bother me. I pick a cabin and price point that works for me. If I was to get an offer I would probably jump on it but I'm never unhappy with what I buy myself.

Trip June 6th, 2013 10:21 PM

So, this was not an upsell, but,a real, have I got a gift for you offer?

Good for you, if so....

Dave Beers June 6th, 2013 10:46 PM

A real deal upgrade. From Junior Suite to Grand Suite. No upsell, except that they did say we'd have to pay the higher automatic gratuities they charge for a GS and above. This will be around $50 more for the staff, but I don't look at it as an upsell.

Snoozeman June 6th, 2013 11:09 PM

That's fantastic. Enjoy the cruise!

Trip June 6th, 2013 11:31 PM

Mazel tov..enjoy your cruise!

Mike M June 7th, 2013 09:12 AM

Nice upgrade Dave!

I love the layout of the Grand Suites. They are one of the nicest. I know you will enjoy it.

This is the GS we had on Radiance Of The Seas.
http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mem...6-gs-suite.jpg

Take care,
Mike

Donna June 7th, 2013 09:35 AM

Oh Dave
That is just wonderful, I too would be very excited. Haven't heard of anyone getting an upgrade in a long time, glad to hear it really DOES happen sometimes....Have fun!

Dave Beers June 7th, 2013 09:56 AM

Thanks everybody! Great photo too Mike! A little luxury won't hurt me.

I'll talk to you all later.

beachbum13 June 7th, 2013 12:45 PM

Congrats! Enjoy your cruise!!!

seadog2 June 7th, 2013 02:23 PM

Congrats on the upgrade. DW and I have been D+ for several years now. On our Allure cruise we booked the JS and when we got to the pier we were notified that we had been upgraded to the Crown Loft Suite. Congrats also on reaching D+. Enjoy all of the perks that comes along with it.

thecruisequeen June 8th, 2013 10:43 AM

Congrats on the upgrade and Enjoy!! Looks like a beautiful cabin!!!

Maybe I'll be lucky too and have an upgrade waiting for me at the pier later when I check in....:-P:mrgreen::twisted: I highly doubt it....:-|

Villager June 8th, 2013 11:35 AM

Earlier this year I had booked an ocean view cabin on the Freedom OTS. About a month before the cruise I went on RC's "My Cruises" to do my online check in and discovered I had been upgraded to a balcony cabin. I'm only a Diamond level, so it was a pleasant surprise. In the right place at the right time, I guess.

DiamondMember June 8th, 2013 12:26 PM

May I ask how many points you have? I'm diamond plus as well and have never gotten an upgrade; just wondering whether it has to do with the fact that I only have 358 points?

Villager June 8th, 2013 02:53 PM

If you are asking me, I have less than half the points you do. I was just in the right place at the right time. They apparently needed the cabin I was occupying and upgraded me to get it. It had an adjoining cabin, that was probably why. Also check your profile and make sure you have it marked that you will accept an upgrade. I think there are several categories and I marked the most flexible and accomodating choice.

Donna June 8th, 2013 05:00 PM

I think the chances of an upgrade on a full sailing are slim, possibly his cruise still had some open cabins and they decided to upgrade in hopes of selling the less expensive cabins?? Just my two cents as to how this works, or doesn't.

Robbie H June 9th, 2013 08:47 PM

I am Pinnacle and have not had an upgrade in over 2 years. They use a "magic bean" formula that starts with your ranking but I still love to see that other folks do get them ;>)