Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Talking Cruising From Newark, NJ on Explorer of the Seas on Oct. 20, 2013 need Hotel info.

My wife and I are cruising to Bermuda on the 20th of October 2013 and are flying in to EWR. We are coming in on Friday the 18th so we can visit NY City. We might take in a play and would like to stay near Times Square. Just wondering if there is a fairly cheap and easy way to get from EWR to Times Square or does anyone know of a good hotel in Newark that we would still be able to get to NY City at a reasonable cost. We heard the taxis are EXPENSIVE Like $50 one way. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. We have never been to NY so we are very excited about that. We live 80 miles West of Chicago and go there quite a bit but we know NY is amazing.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Admiral

The Taxis are expensive in the City as well as Jersey. I'm sure getting from Newark airport to the City by taxi will cost alot more then $50.

What time are you flying in on Friday? will you have the whole day to explore? Sat. you will have the whole day then Sun. morning it's to the ship.

Staying in the Times Square area is not cheap however very convenient. Hotels range $275.00 to $450.+ per night. Newark airport area has some good hotels too at half the price...Hampton Inn, Hilton and Springfield Inn come to mind.

Getting into the city from a Newark airport hotel the cheapest way would be going to Newark Penn Station and taking the NJ Transit train. You can also get into the City by Bus or Train right from Newark Airport and takes you right into NY Port Authority bus terminal or NY Penn Station. I hear it's about $15.00 pp each way.

Many people also visiting NY stay at a Jersey hotel and bus it into the city...for example a hotel in Secaucus, NJ will cost double less then the City and it's only a 10 minute bus ride into the city and cost a couple of dollars.

You may also want to look into Shuttles from the airport going into the City and also to Port of Bayonne for your cruise on Sunday. Remember though many times shuttles wait and wait until the van fills up before it leaves and can make other stops.

Have a great pre cruise stay in the Big Apple (the City that never sleeps)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 11th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Familiar Face

I think we paid more than $80 for a hotel limo from central Manhattan to Newark. They told us it was the same price as for a taxi (flat rate).

My advice - if you want to see Manhattan, stay in a hotel in Manhattan! I know it can be expensive though.
I stayed at Grand Hyatt last time I was there. The hotel is almost like a part of Grand Cental station, with easy access to the metro. I guess it may be a little tricky to get there from Penn Station though, especially with a lot of luggage.
It took less than 10 minutes to walk to Times Square. Maybe a little more to Empire State building.
Ok, as I said, not exactly cheap - about $340 plus taxes per night.

Here is one of the rooms in Grand Hyatt.

Night view from Empire State building.

Daytime view from Rockefeller center (Top of the Rock).

/Erik