Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2013, 11:00 AM
First Mate

Default Transfer - London to Harwich

Hello all:

I'm sailing on Brilliance in August out of Harwich and will be flying into London. Any recommendation as to the best means of getting from London to Harwich? Royal Caribbean wants $101 USD per person for the 2 hour transfer, saw a train that is about $84 USD or I can rent a car for almost nothing (as I have points). I'm not sure renting a car is the best decision given I'm from the US and it would be interesting to drive on the other side of the road and I understand London is pretty challenging to navigate.

Any feedback or thoughts from others who've done this trip before?
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Hi there, a lot will depend on your initial travel plans, such as which airport are you flying into, wil you be transferring from the airport direct to Harwich docks, and if so what time is your plane scheduled to land.

The drive from Heathrow & Gatwick is easily over 2 hours using the M25 'freeway' and that's on a clear run, so you may want to travel the day before you sail.

For lots of thoughts, considerations & options, yuo may find the site London Heathrow To / From Harwich Cruise Terminals of good use.

If you have any specific dates/times/locations planned then please post them & I'll see what else I can find.

Happy travels,

Alan.

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old July 28th, 2013, 05:43 PM
First Mate

Hello & Thank you for your help. We're actually flying into London the night before we sail to see the city and were planning on leaving from downtown London on the day of departure. I was wondering if you had any recommendations on trains from downtown London to Harwich? I see some that connect, but the connection times are like 5 mins., which sounds really short. Any thoughts on that? We're sailing on 8/31.
Old July 29th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Hi and a very good morning to you,

There is a shuttle bus that operates from Central London, but starts out quite early in the morning, and seems to take up to 4 hours so probably not the first option.

Trains run from London Liverpool Street into Harwich every hour on the hour and take 1h17m, but if you are sailing on a weekend, please recheck.
National Rail Enquiries - Journey Planner - Trains Times and Fares

The ticket's AREN'T cheap though the best seem to be around 30 ($50) per person EACH way, so if you are in a group, a taxi transfer may be better as it will be door to door without any hassle of getting to/from the stations. If you put in a few enquiries you may even get to see a bit of the City from the cab as it makes it's way from the centre.

I'll keep thinking, and no doubt others more central to London will see this and conrtibute.

Wish you a wonderful day,

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old July 29th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Admiral

We sailed from Harwich last August. We hooked up with another couple from the cruise and I pre-booked a transfer to pick us up at the airport and also return us to the airport.

If you are interested I'll find the name and let you know.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old July 30th, 2013, 10:19 AM
First Mate

Hi Felix,

If you have an email address or contact for the company/driver you used; that would be great. We are 3 adults and would be interested to see what the cost from downtown London to Harwich would be? I called Carey Limo Service (US Company I use for work) and they quoted me somewhere like $500 USD; which is much more beyond what we'd be interested in paying. If it was like $150 USD; then I'd be super interested in a cab or something given it would be door to door.

Kanada Jones -->If we are going to take a train, how far would the train station be from the pier? I assume it would be short cab ride, no?
Old July 30th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMember View Post
Hi Felix,

If you have an email address or contact for the company/driver you used; that would be great. We are 3 adults and would be interested to see what the cost from downtown London to Harwich would be? I called Carey Limo Service (US Company I use for work) and they quoted me somewhere like $500 USD; which is much more beyond what we'd be interested in paying. If it was like $150 USD; then I'd be super interested in a cab or something given it would be door to door.

Kanada Jones -->If we are going to take a train, how far would the train station be from the pier? I assume it would be short cab ride, no?

I'll get it for you.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old July 30th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Just a quick note. Pier and train station are together - you walk 20 feet.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old July 30th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Melanie Javens [cars@suffolktravel.co.uk] This is who we used for transfers to the pier and return.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old August 4th, 2013, 07:10 AM
First Mate

Felix - thank you for the info. We opted to take the train as its about an hour faster and $40 cheaper per person. Appreciate all the advise!