CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Cape Liberty to expand port for Quantum (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/398222-cape-liberty-expand-port-quantum.html)

beachbum13 August 1st, 2013 08:17 PM

Cape Liberty to expand port for Quantum

Every time I read articles like this I get excited for our cruise on Quantum in December 2014!!! :)

Last week officials from Cape Liberty in Bayonne, New Jersey approved a $70 million plan to expand the port to accommodate Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas and this new deal has some thinking that this could be the catalyst for the area becoming a tourist hub.

With the Royal Caribbean deal in place, the city of Bayonne may be on the verge of inking an agreement for the development of a new hotel and possible complex to accommodate incoming and outgoing passengers.

Bayonne officials say they have been working towards getting a hotel development near the cruise port for months, but negotiations hinged on moves by the Port Authority.

“The new Royal Caribbean Cruise Terminal will provide the people of New Jersey and New York with the world-class travel experience they deserve,” said Port Authority Deputy Executive Director Bill Baroni. “We welcome the significant investment Royal Caribbean is making in our region and look forward to welcoming the Quantum of the Seas to her new home in our port.”

Construction is scheduled to begin this summer and be completed by October 2014.

thecruisequeen August 2nd, 2013 07:11 AM

I did not think they would leave Cape Liberty as is....It can't even handle Explorer let alone Queen Quantum.

The upgrades to Cape Liberty are much needed. A new hotel close to port would be a big plus too as there does not seem to be much in that area other then a Condo complex.....

With the building and upgrading of Cape Liberty it will also bring in employment opportunities to Bayonne. :-P

CRUISEFAN0001 August 2nd, 2013 10:02 AM

That port really needs some work...and with 2 new large ships committed there for at last another 18 months...failing to do this likely could have meant losing at least one of them (if not both).

Unfortunately, the $70 million can't fix the months of crummy winter weather there. That's what still will make it unattractive to many regular cruisers...although the Northeasterners will overlook that.

Manuel August 5th, 2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRUISEFAN0001 (Post 1481039)

Unfortunately, the $70 million can't fix the months of crummy winter weather there. That's what still will make it unattractive to many regular cruisers...although the Northeasterners will overlook that.

When you live in the Northeast you just have to go along with the weather. I lived in Connecticut for 54 years.
But it's nice to have nice ships to cruise on without having to fly to far away places.

TM

thecruisequeen August 6th, 2013 06:59 PM

Don't forget Queen Quantum is doing longer Caribbean cruises...9 plus nights.......So even departing in dead of winter in Jersey cruisers will get around 7 days of nice warm weather. Not to mention a brand new beautiful ship! :twisted::-P:mrgreen:

Lakers Fan August 6th, 2013 09:03 PM

Bayonne

Bayonne has needed a facelift for as long as I can remember .

Donna August 6th, 2013 09:37 PM

I would be open to cruising out of NJ on Quantum at some point. Hopefully the improvements at the port will be done quickly, to avoid any hassles of departing from there...

beachbum13 August 17th, 2013 10:46 AM

The Bayonne City Council unanimously approved a loan to Royal Caribbean to provide "non-recourse financing" for Royal Caribbean's plan to expand at Bayonne's Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor.

Joe Ryan, Bayonne spokesman, indicated the city would act as "conduit" for the project funds, allowing Royal Caribbean to take advantage of the city's favorable financing rates for the $50 million project that includes a new terminal and parking facility. The city council approved the request Wednesday night.

"(This deal) means we're not responsible for the debt," Ryan said. "So in this case the city is assisting with the application on behalf of Royal Caribbean, but we would not be responsible for handling the debt. Royal Caribbean is."

In addition, Royal Caribbean will pay Bayonne a $250,000 application fee and $50,000 annually to monitor the financing.

City officials estimate the new port facility will be finished just in time for the launch of Quantum of the Seas in November 2014. YEAH!!!!

Manuel August 17th, 2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachbum13 (Post 1482457)

City officials estimate the new port facility will be finished just in time for the launch of Quantum of the Seas in November 2014. YEAH!!!!

This is great news for both the City and for Royal.

TM

Lloyd555 October 6th, 2013 01:57 PM

New to this forum!

Construction on the new Royal Caribbean terminal at the port was to begin in the summer. Do you know if it has? I am wondering if passengers can see any signs of the work having begun when they are at the port?