Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Familiar Face

Default RC and Majesty of the Seas questions from the experienced please!

Hi all first time cruiser here. Have looked at a few different cruises from Miami and very nearly decided on Majesty of the seas 4 day trip to Bahamas and key west, as im new i wonder if anyone could help with some questions i have....ready!!

How does food/drink work, i guess you get 3 meals a day, are there snacks included throughout the day or just meals? How much is a soda package or Alcohol package, do i buy on board?

If it rains, as this isnt a large ship will there be much to do , do they provide entertainment inside etc? Any movie theater?

What entertainment is there by night, any parties or just shows, must you book in advance?

Do i prepay an account or pay on departure, i want to do flexi dining which says my tips are prepaid, so if i prepay all tips, thats it done, i buy a drink i wont get charged a tip again? I just pay what i spend at the end?

Theres lots more questions but thats being greedy enough, there may be a link on RC website about food etc but i cant find much info, they dont make it glaringly obvious, unless im missing it!

Thanks all for the help and sorry for so many questions!

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Basically, when you are once onboard and have your ship board account in order, it is a cashless system, you use your card for any purchases, drinks, etc. Anytime you order a drink, there will be a 15% tip added to each drink, so that is not a part of the daily tipping. Yes, if those are prepaid, you don't have to tip your dining room server or cabin attendant, that will be taken care of.

Any drink packages you wish to purchase, you can do once onboard, they usually are pushing those, so it shouldn't be difficult to guy those if you want.

MOst of the time, you may encounter some rain, but usually doesn't last the whole day, so unless it is really bad, they won't cancel excursions.

Each evening, they will leave a daily paper in your cabin for the next days activities, so be sure to read through those for shows and times, etc...

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Donna has said it very well.

But the best advice is to book your cruise through a travel agent, not through the cruise line! If you have any questions or need anything, your agent will be right there to help you with all the details. Their rate will be exactly the same as booking it directly with the cruise line and often they will have better rates or amenities not offered by the cruise line. Plus, if you have any problems and booked it with the cruise line, who do you think they represent? An agent represents you and are there if you need anything.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old August 12th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Welcome to the world of cruising! Hope you enjoy your first cruise!

If the day is a total washout due to rain I have seen the CD add additional activities throughout the day.....Dance classes, trivia etc.,

Each evening there will be a show in the main show room. As for parties there will be a deck party one night poolside....club style dance music and few line dances thrown in.....also in the Centrum there will be a 70's party one night...alot of fun...dancing and an appearance by the Village People.

Read your Compass each day to see what is going on for the day and at what location and time.

Happy Cruising!!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 12th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Admiral

Welcome to cruising. It is a very good way to spend a vacation. All have answered your questions well. There will be plenty to do on board. As stated check your Compass daily to see all of the activities. If you booked with a travel agent work with them. If you booked directly with the cruiseline that's fine too. They will answer your questions as well. If a problem arises they are more than willing to work with you to get it resolved. Through the RCI website you can order your drink and liquor packages. You can also book all excursions and shows there too. As far as the food goes, there is breakfast, lunch and dinner served at specific times but food is available most of the day and night around the ship. Enjoy your cruise.
Old August 13th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks all for that quick response, lots of helpful answers!

Theres a lot of tipping going on! So i think ill prepay tips (how will the waiter etc know ive already tipped?) and then just leave the rest to the cruise card to sort out.

Sounds like fun i think i will book soon.

As im from the UK im not sure our travel agents do just small cruises but i will certainly have a look into it now!!
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I believe the wait staff gets a list of the tips that are pre-paid, so he will know, don't worry about that, same with the staff that takes care of your cabin for you.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:35 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcruising View Post
Thanks all for that quick response, lots of helpful answers!

Theres a lot of tipping going on! So i think ill prepay tips (how will the waiter etc know ive already tipped?) and then just leave the rest to the cruise card to sort out.

Sounds like fun i think i will book soon.

As im from the UK im not sure our travel agents do just small cruises but i will certainly have a look into it now!!

The hotel staff ( waiters and cabin steward) know who has paid gratuities.
You really don't need to use a travel agent to book a cruise - I used one for my first cruise and learned nothing from her. I have booked direct since and always get my information from Cruise forums such as this one.
The person who is advising you to use a travel agent is one....
Read your Cruise Compass ( daily bulletin showing all activities) and carry it with you so you don't miss anything. On a four day cruise to the Bahamas you don't get a day at sea, so you will be on the go each day, the problem becomes how can you do all the things that interest you , in such a short time. Here is a typical day - Majesty of the Seas Cruise Compass - July 11, 2011 | Royal Caribbean Blog it's not a recent one, but they are very similar.
Be sure to go to the Sailaway party up on deck.
My favorite spot on Majesty is the Boleros bar - watching people dance Salsa, wishing I could do that...
You don't need cash onboard. When you check in for your cruise they give you a Seapass card- that is your room key, ID card and credit card onboard. You need it to get on and off the ship. All your meals are included, plus room service is free except for the hours of 12mn- 5am, there is a $4 service charge during the night.
You have the main dining rooms, the Windjammer buffet, Compass deli and Sorrentos Pizza all included. There is a small fee for Johnny Rockets
diner. Drinks - soda package is $6.50 per day for adults and $4.50 for children. These are fountain drinks, not cans. You will also see cans in your room refrig - they charge $2.50 each for those. Alcohol packages are fairly new, but all passengers over 21 in your cabin must participate, so people don't buy one and then share it around... There will be an ondeck BBQ one night, and a BBQ@ lunch provided on CocoCay.
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks Donna.

Matelot...Thats a lot of info. More than i could have asked. Thanks loads the link provided was really helpful. A great insight to whats going on. I have looked at travel agents but only the big names Thomas cook etc do it and i don't think i would gain much.

I've looked at the rooms you can pick with TA and Im guessing they are below the Centrum!! lots of stamping noise from above reported. Think ill try nearer the front and hope for calm seas. Will i actually get the cabin i pay for if i book with RC or could it change?
Thanks for the drinks info looking forward to how much that will cost. Can i bring my own alcohol on board? bottle of spirits for example?

Thanks again
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks Donna.

Matelot...Thats a lot of info. More than i could have asked. Thanks loads the link provided was really helpful. A great insight to whats going on. I have looked at travel agents but only the big names Thomas cook etc do it and i don't think i would gain much.

I've looked at the rooms you can pick with TA and Im guessing they are below the Centrum!! lots of stamping noise from above reported. Think ill try nearer the front and hope for calm seas. Will i actually get the cabin i pay for if i book with RC or could it change?
Thanks for the drinks info looking forward to how much that will cost. Can i bring my own alcohol on board? bottle of spirits for example?

Thanks again
As I mentioned, it's always best to book with an agent (and yes, I'm an agent, so I'm obviously prejudice on the matter), especially if you're new to cruising because there are many details you need to be aware of. But knowing what I know now after doing this for more than 11 years and having personally done 46 cruises on 11 cruise lines, if I weren't an agent, I would still use one to book my cruises. The number one reason is that should something happen or should you have any problems, it's always good to have someone working on your behalf who represents you and they have contacts not available to you. If you book directly with the cruise line, they represent themselves so you'll be on your own. I can't tell you how many times I get calls from people who have a problem and want me to help them only to be told that I can't because I'm not their agent and they have to deal directly with the cruise line. But often an agent will have better rates or amenities than the cruise line and since they do not charge for their services, it benefits you to use their expertise. If you have any questions, an agent can help answer them, whereas almost always when talking to the reservation person at the cruise line, they've never been on a cruise or to any of the ports, so their ability to answer your questions is extremely limited, not to mention very biased.

I had a client of mine just two days ago call me because he couldn't get a problem taken care of. He didn't want to bother me and tried to handle it himself and spent three weeks dealing with the cruise line. He's retired and had the time, so he thought he'd give it a try, but realized it was no use and he was getting nowhere. I told him it's never a bother and that's what I'm here for, and he should have called me first. I made one phone call, spent 10 minutes on the phone, got the problem solved, and called my client back. We both got a good laugh over that one! He lives in Texas (I'm in Virginia) and he's been a client of mine for about 8 years. He swore he would never ever call the cruise line again!

Anyway, besides all that, check out a reputable agent you feel comfortable with, keeping in mind that bigger is not always better - they deal in quantity and not quality. Besides, it's always important to support a small business whenever you can. Those who don't use an agent don't realize they're supporting a big business without supporting a small business and that's never a good thing.

As for where to get your cabin, you really need to check all the way around it; what's above, below, and next to it? The front is not the best place to be because of the motion and if you're susceptible to seasickness, I would definitely not suggest being in the front. The back is a little better, but you can often feel the vibration from the engines. Being in the middle is the best place to be, but it is also more expensive.

But there are two ways to book a cabin; a guarantee and a cabin assignment.

A guarantee cabin means that you are guaranteed at least the level of cabin that you have selected (inside, oceanview, balcony, or suite), but you do not select an actual cabin so you don't know where it'll be until about 30 days prior to sailing. A cabin assignment means you (or your agent) will select your actual cabin so you'll know exactly where you'll be. And once that cabin is assigned, they will not move you, unless it's to offer you an upgrade, which sometimes can be good or bad.

Hope this helps.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:17 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Thanks Donna.

Thanks again
Try for a room low in the ship and midships. That is the most stable part of the ship when there is rough weather. Here are deck plans -http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/decks.php?ship=Majesty of the Seas just check when you book that you're not over or under a late night venue. You can bring two bottles of wine per stateroom on initial boarding only. No spirits. Alcohol drinks packages start at $45 per day.
http://media.royalcaribbean.com/cont..._flyer_faq.pdf
Old August 14th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Admiral

I agree with Matelot low floor midship would be best...towards the back of the ship works too try to stay away from the front of the ship......

I booked the last two cruises directly with Royal and I now prefer it over using an agent. I have access to my booking at any time day or night. If I have any questions I can call at all hours and talk to someone over at Royal and they answer all my questions. And I love the $59. cancel any reason insurance.

Booking direct works very well for me may not be for everyone.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 15th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Admiral

You can always check your reservation on the cruise line's website irregardless as to how you book it. And most reputable agents are available 24/7 to their clients in the case of an emergency.

And the $59 for the Cruise Care insurance is not the price all the time - it's based on cost of the cruise, so that rate will change. Plus, the Cancel For Any Reason is only a future cruise credit, not a cash refund, in the amount of 75% of the amount paid for the cruise, excluding your airfare. In almost every case, independent travel insurance is a much better buy with much better coverage, which is especially important when flying.

As I said, it's always good to support small business, but some are against it.

Pete
Old August 15th, 2013, 03:59 AM
Familiar Face

As always thanks for all the answers guys. Lots of helpful info there.

Shame about the alcohol. Could be soda package for me!

Ok so last part is cabin choice. I found that deck plan a few days ago..i opened to screens one with deck 2 where Im planning to stay and one with deck 3. I think anything from the stairs back is under either the Centrum ( don't wanna be there!) or the dining room which i guess quiets down midnight till 6ish? i can live with that!!

So ill try and pick back under dining room. How far is classed as forward ship some nice rooms the front side of the stairs maybe. Choices choices!! 2067 or 2123? One looks mid one looks rear. Is the bottom of the deck plan rear ship...will there be as much motion as front?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the help.
Old August 15th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Admiral

If it were me I would choose 2067 over 2123.....Above 2067 are cabins and above 2123 are public areas. Plus I don't like the space next to 2123.....we had a cabin next to a space like that...and that space was a crew area and it got noisy starting at around 4am.

Forward is where the most motion is felt however 2067 is not really forward.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:15 AM
First Mate

Either room would be fine with me. 2123 is under a dining room, no late night noise there... Although 2067 is considered forward, it's OK and it's close to elevators and stairs, always a good thing. You don't find as much motion anywhere as in the front of ships.
Old August 15th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the info there guys.

Thats good to see that 2067 isnt too far forward, im guessing 2031 and up is very front!

I did wonder what the big open space in the middle was, thought it would be a little unusual if it was just empty space! Ok i think im going to do a lil more research then take the plunge. Im wondering whether to wait a few days as at the moment there is $100 on board to spend if you book up till April, wonder if there will be a new offer after that

Thanks
Old August 15th, 2013, 05:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Thanks for the info there guys.

Thats good to see that 2067 isnt too far forward, im guessing 2031 and up is very front!

I did wonder what the big open space in the middle was, thought it would be a little unusual if it was just empty space! Ok i think im going to do a lil more research then take the plunge. Im wondering whether to wait a few days as at the moment there is $100 on board to spend if you book up till April, wonder if there will be a new offer after that

Thanks
$100 OBC is pretty good for a 4 night cruise. I would go for that offer...
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Admiral

That does sound almost too good to be true; might want to read the fine print. Often they'll say something like 'up to $100 onboard credit', which means that's what you get if you book a suite, but then when you look at it further, it'll be like $25 for an inside cabin, $50 for an oceanview.

But if it's truly $100 onboard credit for a 4-night cruise, that sounds too good to pass up.

Pete

p.s. I saw the sale and it says up to $100 if you sail on the Oasis or the Allure. If you sail on the Majesty of the Seas, you get $25 for an inside or oceanview and $50 for a balcony or a suite. And by the way, it's for Saturday bookings only - just goes to show you've always got to read the fine print.

Here are the details; http://www.royalcaribbean.com/conten..._rid=231853062

Last edited by cruise planner; August 16th, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Familiar Face

Sorry guys i think u mis read my post. Its not an offer i can take up as Im not sailing these dates hence i dint read small print. I just wondered if i wait if they will do one that includes the dates i am looking at.
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:59 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Sorry guys i think u mis read my post. Its not an offer i can take up as Im not sailing these dates hence i dint read small print. I just wondered if i wait if they will do one that includes the dates i am looking at.
That's anybody's guess. If we knew the answer to that we'd all wait and book cruises when the best offer was coming out.. what is common is the $25 off an inside room that Cruise planner mentions.
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Admiral

When booking a cruise, I always suggest booking it as soon as possible. It's possible that the rate you're seeing is the cheapest it'll ever be available for you. Prices could go up at any time, plus the longer you wait, the less options you have for booking a cabin you'll like.

If you book it and the price goes up, you're protected against any increases, except for taxes or fuel supplements. If the prices go down, most of the time your agent can get the better price for you, unless the final payment due date has passed.

So the bottom line is that if you see a cruise you want, book it! It's better to get it now than to wait and hope you'll get a better price only to find the price has gone up and the cabin you wanted is no longer available.

Pete
Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:09 AM
Familiar Face

Just keep in mind that the Majesty is only a 3 star ship so don't judge your entire cruising experience off the Majesty. I love the Majesty for a quick weekend gateway, but it does not offer much compared to the newer and bigger ships.
  • Scotia Prince, Nova Scotia, June 2004
  • Norwegian Pride of America, Hawaii, August 2005
  • Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas, Western Caribbean, July 2010
  • Norwegian Sky, Bahamas, December 2010
  • Norwegian Gem, Bahamas, March 2011
  • Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas, Bahamas, October 2012
  • Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas, Bahamas, September 2013