Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2013, 06:11 PM
First Mate

Exclamation Another rccl loyalty level

As most of you Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle people know the lounges and evening venues are getting too crowded especially with the large gap between Diamond Plus and Pinnacle. Should there be another level between those two levels. Maybe set it for 350 days which would be half way to Pinnacle. This would thin out the crowds some if you had parties for this new level and Pinnacle. I am not at 350 yet, but I can see the future where 1/3 of the ship will be Diamond Plus. Have Diamond and Diamond Plus with 349 days or less in one place and new level with 350 and Pinnacle in another place. Just thinking.
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Admiral

It could get even more crowded with the new rule giving solo cruisers double and triple points. While I like that policy change it also means people can accrue points quicker.

A friend of mine just made Pinnacle Club and he told me some changes are coming, such as D+ members getting the boot from the Concierge perks as soon as every ship is retrofitted with a real Diamond Lounge. Concierge will be only suite guests and Pinnacle members.

I never understood the wide gap they made between D+ and Pinnacle. Like all loyalty programs, the C&A Society has set a course for it's own destruction as it will have to either cut back on perks and keep on adding new levels to spread out the crowds.

I currently have 190 points and will never see Pinnacle.
Old October 20th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

The really do have a second Diamond Plus Tier anyway, so why not just name it? A 14 night transatlantic crossing, single, suite; would get you over 42 points. Two of these you would make Diamond, so yea, status can now come quick.
Old November 12th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Captain

Red face Crowded Concierge Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
A friend of mine just made Pinnacle Club and he told me some changes are coming, such as D+ members getting the boot from the Concierge perks as soon as every ship is retrofitted with a real Diamond Lounge. Concierge will be only suite guests and Pinnacle members.
We just got off the Brilliance Saturday. The scene in the CL was chaotic. People were getting there at 4:00 to get seats. The Diamond Lounge next door was just as bad. We were using the Colony Club which was far less crowded. They were allowing Diamond members to use any of the three lounges (Concierge, Diamond, Colony Club) which only compounded the problem. There were several hundred D+ members on board, plus an unknown number of Diamond, and around 30 or so Pinnacle. If we had been one of the folks in an Owners Suite or Royal Suite, and had to fight the crowds to get a drink at 5:30, we would have been (can't use the word here) off.

We're currently D+, so are anxious to see what's going to happen to us in the future.....
Old November 12th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Familiar Face

Default Crown & Anchor status

The problem does not seem to be too few categories of Diamond levels. The problem is the success of the program itself. The Crown and Anchor program and the innovative ships built by RCCL Intl, has led to a tremendous customer allegiance for both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. This has led to an explosion in Diamond and above on Royal, and Elite on Celebrity.

The solution, at least for the larger ships, appears to be that the company as a whole and the Hotel Director in particular must be willing to devote one of their large lounges as the Diamond Lounge each evening between 5 and 8:30. I just got off a 13 night transatlantic on the Liberty of the Seas. They used the Sphinx lounge as the Diamond Lounge and it worked out very well. If there was a problem it was that there were far too many people who arrived at 5 and did not leave until 8 or 8:30. I guess free booze is an alcoholic's fantasy, but surely all those folks were not alcoholics. Late diners should show some restraint and not overcrowd the lounges early. If they wait for the early diners to leave for dinner we would all be better off.

Also, I don't think that the majority of Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members use the Concierge Lounge in the evenings, they seem to prefer the Diamond Lounge where they can associate with fellow frequent cruisers.
Old November 12th, 2013, 02:24 PM
First Mate

This is a tough one. Royal did add the Emerald Level and elevate the number of nights necessary to get into the Diamond tier; however, their continue to be this issue of too many people at that level. Honstly, the line should be proud with how many people they have in these upper tiers as it further demonstrates how great of a product they offer and a larger range of people continuing to sail with them.

I've got about 389 nights with the line, which places me in the upper tier (i.e., greater than 350) of Diamond Plus. If they were to remove access to the more formal Conceig. Lounge; I'd honestly be a bit pissed as it's always tough to become accustomed to a perk like this then have it taken away.

I also sailed on Brilliance during her crossing from London to Boston in September; and the Diamond lounge was opened up into the Viking Crown to accomodate for the overage of Diamond Members. Honestly, some sailings by their very nature are going to attract a higher tier level of folks than other sailings. I think the line has to understand this and makes for accomodations when this arises as best as they can.

As for a new tier level, I think it's coming and I think it's going to be breaking down Diamond Plus and Pinnacle into new tier sets. I think they probably are running into too many Pinnacles as well. Like everything, people will be upset and ultimately accept whatever they do as if you love cruising with them, a change in something like this won't deter your true loyal sailers (at least it wouldn't make me want to switch to a new line). Just my two cents.
Old November 12th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Admiral

I think part of the answer is to stop the cross-overs with Celebrity, or turn Celebrity into a points system more in keeping with RCL.

They have already broke the D+ at the 350 and 500 mark. They just need to name them.

However, if they start booting the D+ from the concierge lounge, they will once again find themselves in trouble. They have added or are still adding Diamond Lounges to their ships - they can't keep changing the goals posts as everyone seems to want them to do..

It appears to me that those that gripe the most are already there and don't want to share with those coming up behind them.

D+ and pinnacles seem to flock to the TA's - I assume because by the time most are at that point, they have more time on their hands

Perhaps on those cruises they could do what Celebrity does and just hand out 3 vouchers per person per night.

Oh, they could stop handing unearned status to family members as well. Make everyone earn it on their own. Also, make really sure those walking in the door are actually eligible. It seems to me about 15% to 25% of those in the lounge should not be there.

Overall, I think there are ways of handling this without kicking those that earned it out.

(Not a poor loser here - D+ for what itès worth.)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.