CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Cruising to Nassau, Passports and safety. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/399608-cruising-nassau-passports-safety.html)

newcruising October 28th, 2013 05:53 AM

Cruising to Nassau, Passports and safety.

Hi all,

Have had some great advice from here in the past and wonder if anyone could help me out.

I am taking a cruise from Miami to Bahamas on RC , the 4/5 day one. As im from the UK ive just had a thought...do i need to take my passport off the ship to enable us to get back on easier at any of the docks? I read that US citizens can prove by using a driving Licence, will a UK one be ok? This brings me onto the next point...

Safety in Nassau, i was really looking forward to visiting and while browsing places to go found a lot of recent reports about the crime in Nassau, gunpoint knife point robberies and even not going to certain areas depending on the colour of your skin? I understand that everywhere has crime and violence and im a sensible traveller never take much money or valubles etc but this still worried me a bit. I then read some cruise liners thinking of advising passengers not to get off at the dock!?

I wouldnt be venturing to any areas other than tourist, but just wondered your views?

Many thanks all

Dave Beers October 28th, 2013 09:33 AM

I can't answer the passport/ID question but given the relationship between the Bahamas and the UK I'd think an official photo ID would suffice for you.

As to the other question...indeed, Nassau is becoming more affected by crime. I have not heard of cruise lines dropping this port, and the Bahamian police have stepped up their efforts in the tourist areas. If you stay on the beaten path you'll be fine. It is the tourists who wander off into the back streets who find trouble. I know there was a famous incident a few years ago where cruisers visiting the Queen's Steps were robbed, but this type of thing is not common.

Personally I have had enough of Nassau and I stay on the ship when there.

Sulross October 28th, 2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcruising (Post 1487964)
Hi all,

Have had some great advice from here in the past and wonder if anyone could help me out.

I am taking a cruise from Miami to Bahamas on RC , the 4/5 day one. As im from the UK ive just had a thought...do i need to take my passport off the ship to enable us to get back on easier at any of the docks? I read that US citizens can prove by using a driving Licence, will a UK one be ok? This brings me onto the next point...

Safety in Nassau, i was really looking forward to visiting and while browsing places to go found a lot of recent reports about the crime in Nassau, gunpoint knife point robberies and even not going to certain areas depending on the colour of your skin? I understand that everywhere has crime and violence and im a sensible traveller never take much money or valubles etc but this still worried me a bit. I then read some cruise liners thinking of advising passengers not to get off at the dock!?

I wouldnt be venturing to any areas other than tourist, but just wondered your views?

Many thanks all

I like Dave have been there many times, but usually get off to just walk around the main street just to check it all out and that area is usually safe. I was just there two week ago and all was good with no reports of incidentsrofl

Donna October 28th, 2013 07:28 PM

I agree with the others, the main shopping area should be fine...Some cruisers make copies of their passports and bring the copies ashore and keep the actual passports locked in their safe....Some cruiselines suggest taking a picture ID off the ship, not a bad idea...

If you haven't been over to Paradise Island, Atlantis, that is always a good way to spend a few hours and it is not too far from the pier, certainly not an all day excursion.

Matelot October 29th, 2013 10:04 AM

You can buy a day pass to the Sheraton hotel and use all their facilities.
It's just a few minutes from downtown area.

Starwood Preferred Guest - Hotel Offers and Loyalty Program spg.com

I never take my passport off a ship. As long as you have a govt issued ID such as driving license you will be fine- they only ask for your seapass when you get back to the ship.