Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Default Allure - Feb. 23/14 - cancelled

The powers that be have decided to pull the Allure into dry dock at Freeport to repair the problem with the propulsion system.

Going to be very difficult for all the displaced cruisers.

I must say, NCL has jumped on it really quick = as a TA, I received an email from NCL this evening suggesting they have lots of space to take our displaced clients on the Getaway and Epic. Even offering perks.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
Windstar
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

What a disappointment, didn't hear that Allure was having problems.. A good idea to bring her in and have her repaired now...

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 15th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Since the entire month of February, had varying school vacations, all month long, this will certainly be sad for many family cruisers.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 15th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Admiral

It will, but by the look of February so far, it's a rather soft month. They had to pick a time as they were really taking a beating in complaints. It guess this was the best week they could come up with.

I know March is a bigger month for school vacations as the Canadian schools are also off for various weeks during that time.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
Windstar
and some unknown tub

Old November 15th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Captain

Just booked the Epic.

perks included:

kids sail free (got 2, so woo-hoo!!!)
Balcony for the price of inside cabin (on other lines)
bottle of wine
chocolate strawberries in cabin
free dinner in the Italian restaurant

bottom line: 4 of us sail in upgraded cabin for under $2000

No cruises booked at this time.

Washee Washee! Happy Happy!
Old November 15th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Admiral

What date? Never mind - I see Jan. 11/14. Sorry.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
Windstar
and some unknown tub

Old November 15th, 2013, 12:03 PM
First Mate

Royal is offering price protection to a different sailing and $400 onboard credit. Plus they are saying they will give additional amenities, but haven't "defined" what that means. Also they are giving out $150 per person in cash to help with airline change fees.
Old November 15th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Yes,, that's all true, but it's going to be very difficult picking another ship for those who can't change weeks. Allure/Oasis are unique ships.

NCL is offering perks as well. I received an email from them before I received notice from RCL.

Moving dates can be extremely difficult for a lot of people. It appears that a lot of people have their vacation time written in stone and RCL isn't giving a whole lot of choices.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
Windstar
and some unknown tub

Old November 15th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Apparently, while going to a shipyard is needed for the repair, they don't need a drydock to do it. They can access the defective azipod from inside the ship, climbing down into the pod to replace the bad bearings. They just can't do it at Port Everglades because of pier schedules, etc. And, going to the Bahamas shipyard is cheaper than using one in the U.S.
Old November 15th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

March here is big for college spring break,which means higher airfare as I found out when I needed to book air for the Epic cruise I hosted..February is vacations for grammar school/high school.

I have to check with a friend to see which Feb week he booked..he always cruises RCI,and the bigger ships.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 16th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Late February is reading week here in Ontario and the week of March 9th is school holiday here in Ontario as well.

Is there really a good time to cancel anyone's cruise.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
Windstar
and some unknown tub

Old November 16th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
What a disappointment, didn't hear that Allure was having problems.. A good idea to bring her in and have her repaired now...
Now? It says February. Why are they waiting till then if they are having problems?
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
She's been having the problem since early October I believe. It was only effecting the eastern route cutting the port time between 1-3 hours.

ALLURE, 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sweet Escape BVI Charter 2015
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:40 AM
First Mate

So, I have another point of view on this area. We had a couple sailing with me on the 2/23/14 sailing and were booked into a D7 balcony. When attempting to move to Oasis or another Allure cruise two weeks prior or later, all the D7's had been taken. There were plenty of D6, D5, D4 available. The cruise line would NOT accomodate them in a D6 for the same price as their previously booked D7. As the policy is to hold the fare at the same category booked. Which I completely understand if you were attempting to get an inside cabin for the same price as a balcony, but when you're talking the difference betwee D2 - D8 - there is ZERO difference in cabin; only location. I honestly felt that the line could have applied a little bit of judgement in this circumstance and allowed the couple sailing with us to move into a D6 for the same price as the D7. We ultimately had to move the cruise by many weeks to accomodate them. This was just one of those things where a policy gets in the way of applying some common sense. Just by opinion.
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMember View Post
So, I have another point of view on this area. We had a couple sailing with me on the 2/23/14 sailing and were booked into a D7 balcony. When attempting to move to Oasis or another Allure cruise two weeks prior or later, all the D7's had been taken. There were plenty of D6, D5, D4 available. The cruise line would NOT accomodate them in a D6 for the same price as their previously booked D7. As the policy is to hold the fare at the same category booked. Which I completely understand if you were attempting to get an inside cabin for the same price as a balcony, but when you're talking the difference betwee D2 - D8 - there is ZERO difference in cabin; only location. I honestly felt that the line could have applied a little bit of judgement in this circumstance and allowed the couple sailing with us to move into a D6 for the same price as the D7. We ultimately had to move the cruise by many weeks to accomodate them. This was just one of those things where a policy gets in the way of applying some common sense. Just by opinion.

I agree and I would have escalated this. However this is where having a good Travel Agent comes in handy.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
Windstar
and some unknown tub