Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Default Royal Caribbean Makes Changes To Drink Packages

Royal Caribbean is revising their drink packages. Good news! They are dropping the requirement for every adult in a cabin to buy the package. Going forward it will be on an individual basis. Gratuities are still included in the purchase price listed. New plans are:

Royal Replenish Package
The price is $20 per day and it includes premium coffees and teas, bottled water, the fresh-squeezed orange juice they sell at breakfast, nonalcoholic cocktails, and fountain sodas with a souvenir cup.

Select Package
For $40 per day this package includes beer, wine by the glass ($8 value maximum), nonalcoholic cocktails, fountain sodas with a souvenir cup and a 20 percent discount on wine bottle purchases.

Premium Package
This package costs $55 per day. It includes cocktails ($10 value maximum), frozen cocktails, beers, premium wine by the glass ($12 value maximum), nonalcoholic cocktails, bottled water, fountain sodas with a souvenir cup and a 20 percent discount on wine bottle purchases.

Ultimate Package
For those who want everything, for $65 per day you can get premium coffees and teas, bottled water, the fresh-squeezed orange juice, cocktails (up to $10 value), frozen cocktails, beers, premium wine by the glass (up to $12 value), nonalcoholic cocktails, fountain sodas with a souvenir cup and a 20 percent discount on wine bottle purchases.

As before, the booze packages do include some premium liquors and not just bar stock.
Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think this is a smart move on their part. If not everyone in a cabin wanted to purchase the card, then no one may, this way, they will most likely sell more to just those who choose it....Nice.....for me, just way to much to drink per day...

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 21st, 2013, 02:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Trying to see if Premium package includes red bull. Have a Dec. sailing and in between premium and ultimate packages.
Voyager - 03/09
Freedom - 10/07
Rhapsody - 08/06
Rhapsody - 07/03
Navigator - 03/03
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:16 AM
Captain

Great.....I drink and my wife doesn't and the requirement for us both to buy the same package didn't make financial sense. Now I will be able to buy the package for myself!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old February 28th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Good idea, should work.
I like the idea of the more soft drink package that has the coffee and non alc cocktails, plush bottle water for trips.
Old March 1st, 2014, 11:26 AM
First Mate

I never thought I would like a beverage package until we got it free on our last cruise. It motivated us to go out after dinner more.

We still don't drink till happy hour but we felt like it was worth the money.

It's a pricey hit but I like that I can pay for it months before the cruise!

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Old March 6th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Familiar Face

Hello, I am back again after getting banned by accident! Thanks web guys for getting this fixed for me! I was thinking about this but I typically get a cheap (~$26) bottle of wine each night at dinner and a few beers (Fosters cans) during the day. Wonder if it will be worth it. The wife likes Pina Colodas and they are expensive. I am sailing in April on Enchantment with the wife and 2 kids and we are excited!

Sovereign of the Seas (Sept 2002)
Enchantment of the Seas (Sept 2003)
Monarch of the Seas (August 2009)
Monarch of the Seas (April 2011)
Enchantment of the Seas- Port Canaveral (May 2013)
Enchantment of the Seas - (April 2014)
Hope for a BIG ship in 2015! (heck with that, we'll take a small one for 2014!)
Old March 6th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Admiral

The drink packages do not include the Foster's oil cans. There are some other beers that aren't covered too, and it is all because of the price for those brands.
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
The drink packages do not include the Foster's oil cans. There are some other beers that aren't covered too, and it is all because of the price for those brands.
I'm doing a Fred Olsen Cruise this year (Royal Caribbean didn't have the stops I wanted for the dates required, but booked Anthem so I'm coming back.) and got a drinks package included. What they are doing which RCCL could take up is, you buy your drink package and if certain premium drinks aren't included, you pay an extra charge for it if wanted.
For Example
A Rum and Coke = Included
A Bacardi Rum and coke = Included
A 8 year old Bacardi Rum and coke = Not Included
Normal Price $7
If drinks package purchased = Extra $2

This seems fair in that you have already paid for most of the price, so a surcharge is added to offset the increase in price on premium drinks.
Old March 7th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Familiar Face

Anyone know what RCI's price would be for a rum/coke or Captain/coke or a basic domestic beer without being on a drink package?
Old March 7th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Admiral

A rum and coke is currently $6.69 (that is the price including the 15% tip, the drink itself is $5.75). A 16 ounce aluminum bottle of a Budweiser product is $6.04 ($5.25 plus the 15% = 6.04)
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
A rum and coke is currently $6.69 (that is the price including the 15% tip, the drink itself is $5.75). A 16 ounce aluminum bottle of a Budweiser product is $6.04 ($5.25 plus the 15% = 6.04)
Are these numbers any different with the pre-paid tip option at booking?
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:40 AM
Admiral

EB,
Those tips are for different people, all drinks have another 15% tip added to them. The tips you pre-pay for are for your cabin attendant, and wait staff in the dining room or buffet. There are other drinks you can get that don't have any tips added to them, coffee, tea, milk, etc.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
EB,
Those tips are for different people, all drinks have another 15% tip added to them. The tips you pre-pay for are for your cabin attendant, and wait staff in the dining room or buffet. There are other drinks you can get that don't have any tips added to them, coffee, tea, milk, etc.
If you pay for the drink package, you also pay for the tips for the drinks you buy. So there is no additional tip added to pay when you order any drink after pre-paying for the drink package.
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Welcome Newcomer

The drink prices don't change for the pre-payed packages.
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Familiar Face

So, if we don't pre-pay the gratuities do we end up paying them in the end anyway?
Old March 8th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebEric View Post
So, if we don't pre-pay the gratuities do we end up paying them in the end anyway?
Let me break this down to clarify it.

If you buy drinks individually, each time you buy one you get a receipt to sign that has the drink price plus 15% tip added (that is how the bar staff makes their income).

If you buy a drink package, the package price includes the 15% tip. When you order a drink, they take your cruise card and swipe it, but you don't get a receipt. They swipe the card for inventory purposes - to show how much booze they are using.

If you pre-pay tips when you make the booking, that money goes to the people Donna listed.

If you don't pre-pay tips, you will still be charged for them, and that money goes to pay the people Donna listed. They will charge $12 per person/per day to your onboard account ($14.25 if you are in a Grand Suite or higher level suite). So whether you pre-pay or not, it still will cost you the same. It's just when they are charged that is different.

Some prefer to pre-pay with the booking so their onboard account doesn't get too large. The pre-pay option is really a vestige from when Royal didn't do the automatic tipping. They used to have the 'old' system of cash tips paid directly from guests, in envelopes you handed out on the last night of the cruise. The pre-pay thing was a requirement if you chose My Time Dining. Royal Caribbean switched to automatic tip charges a year or so back. Royal was the last major cruise line to do this as the others had started automatic tipping years earlier.
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Thanks Dave,
Explained well :-)

Message Boards Moderator