Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I have moved from Connecticut to Florida, but not everyone can do that.
Maybe they can or they can't....but they should...or at least South of the Mason-Dixon Line...we did something similar and never looked back. It's great to only watch snow and freezing temps on TV instead of out the window...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet Cruiser View Post
Thanks for the wonderful compliment, that was so nice of you

We are as used to the cold as the folks across the lake from us in Buffalo...being in Canada yes we do get cold weather but not much different as the northern states get, and sometimes Buffalo gets more than we do

We just love cruising...and we don't much care where the ship leaves from....warm, cold....we'll take any of them
From what we've experienced (I also come to Canada 2-3 times/year on business)...you Canadians have a high tolerance for pain (cold).

Once you get a taste for warmer weather on a daily basis...going back to the cold is pretty tough though...

Circling back to the main topic...

It is understandable why RCI decided to put Quantum in Bayonne for NCL competitive reasons - having a newer ship in the NYC region...but doing so clearly shuts out many cruisers who simply don't want to deal with the cold, higher costs, and other hassles of cruising from that port.

Certainly they are entitled to make those choices - it's their company. But it also doesn't have to be blindly seen as either a smart move or long-term commitment to stay there. We'll see how things go after year 1...

Already Sailed:

Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09
Old November 20th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

And they just laid the Keel for Anthem of the Seas yesterday (Monday, Nov. 19) as well. That will be the sister ship to Quantum of the Seas.
Old November 20th, 2013, 11:49 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
And they just laid the Keel for Anthem of the Seas yesterday (Monday, Nov. 19) as well. That will be the sister ship to Quantum of the Seas.

No matter how many cruises I go on I'm always in awe of the size of these ships! Even the non-mega ships. It's nothing short of amazing how they design these and put them together!!!!

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Old November 20th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Yup....good news.

Wonder if they'll do something better in terms of the home port (a warmer one)...???

Already Sailed:

Old November 20th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Admiral

I heard it was going to be Southampton.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old November 20th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISEFAN0001 View Post
Yup....good news.

Wonder if they'll do something better in terms of the home port (a warmer one)...???

Will you please give it a rest?????

People in the Northeast need to have cruiseships in their area.

We have more than our share here in Florida, but my friends in NJ, NY, PA and New England want ships that they can drive to.

You are certainly welcome to come to Florida and cruise from here, but don't leave out our Northern friends from cruising from their back yards.

I know how cold it gets in the NY/NJ are. I lived in Ct. for over fifty years. But cold is a lot easier to take when you get on a cruiseship to start your vacation.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 20th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Why?

The point is valid.

Many people have been looking forward to a Quantum class ship sailing from someplace warmer...only to be sadly disappointed. Two sides to that coin, but with tomorrow's announcement - THAT NEWS will likely result in "giving it a rest" one way or another. It will be what it will be.

Already Sailed:

Old November 21st, 2013, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:

People in the Northeast need to have cruiseships in their area.

We have more than our share here in Florida, but my friends in NJ, NY, PA and New England want ships that they can drive to.

You are certainly welcome to come to Florida and cruise from here, but don't leave out our Northern friends from cruising from their back yards.

I know how cold it gets in the NY/NJ are. I lived in Ct. for over fifty years. But cold is a lot easier to take when you get on a cruiseship to start your vacation.

TM
And let's not forget us folks out here on the west coast. We would like a ship too.
Old November 21st, 2013, 03:59 PM
Familiar Face

See...that wasn't so painful....wait a day or two...and get RCI to wise up and have a new Quantum ship ported in Ft. Lauderdale.

Tah Dah....

Already Sailed:

Old November 21st, 2013, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
See...that wasn't so painful....wait a day or two...and get RCI to wise up and have a new Quantum ship ported in Ft. Lauderdale.

Tah Dah....
Looks like this was their plan all along. I think this is why most people didn't get too excited about Quantum departing from NJ.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2 View Post
Looks like this was their plan all along. I think this is why most people didn't get too excited about Quantum departing from NJ.

Actually many people did get excited and are still very happy that they can sail out of NJ, on a new Royal ship.
I have friends in the Northeast that like to cruise but hate to fly.

There are plenty of great Royal ships out there for everyone to enjoy.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 22nd, 2013, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Tah Dah....

And that's why sailing from Florida is so soft. Too many ships.

There are thousands of people who would sail if they could drive to the port. For people, just as us, landlocked in Canada, New Jersey/New York is ideal. A six hour drive and we're there.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 11:17 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
And that's why sailing from Florida is so soft. Too many ships.

There are thousands of people who would sail if they could drive to the port. For people, just as us, landlocked in Canada, New Jersey/New York is ideal. A six hour drive and we're there.
Really?

They are moving ships around to other locations to coincide with the new ones moving into Ft. Lauderdale...so there are not too many ships at all...that was clearly stated in the press release.

Also, there are over 19 million people in Florida alone (I'm not one of them), and another 24 million within a 60-90 minute flight of Ft. Lauderdale. Sounds like a huge market, not a soft one. Bookings there have been very solid for a very long time, and will likely grow with some new cruiseship offerings. Ironically, on our cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale...many of our dining companions were Canadians.

Already Sailed:

Old November 22nd, 2013, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Actually many people did get excited and are still very happy that they can sail out of NJ, on a new Royal ship.
I have friends in the Northeast that like to cruise but hate to fly.

There are plenty of great Royal ships out there for everyone to enjoy.

TM
Poor choice of words on my part. I should have said,"that's why people didn't get upset over the Quantum leaving from NJ". There were those who didn't care for the idea of sailing from a port in the winter time. I'm very excited about my upcoming cruise on the Quantum. For me sailing from NJ is not a problem.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 12:34 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Really?
... Also, there are over 19 million people in Florida alone (I'm not one of them), and another 24 million within a 60-90 minute flight of Ft. Lauderdale. Sounds like a huge market,

Florida is a huge market but so is the NE. Just under SIXTY MILLION people live in the NE area!!!! Plus several major international airports and easy train access. And NYC is one of the world's top tourist destinations.

Bookings there have been very solid for a very long time, and will likely grow with some new cruiseship offerings.

Yeah because there are no new ships in Florida or coming to Florida???!!! The market in the NE is sure to grow as well. There are thousands and thousands of choices in Florida every year. NE, not so much.

Ironically, on our cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale...many of our dining companions were Canadians.

Why is that ironic??? Part of the reason could be the limited choices in the NE!
You are so bone headed! You can't put yourself in our shoes for one second! All you care about is what you want. Or how you would do things. If you're so damn smart why aren't you running a cruise ship company???

He's a tip for you...
If you want to go on Quantum and don't want to "freeze" wait till spring, summer or fall!!!

Old November 22nd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum13 View Post
You are so bone headed! You can't put yourself in our shoes for one second! All you care about is what you want. Or how you would do things. If you're so damn smart why aren't you running a cruise ship company???
So to make YOUR point, you have to name-call huh?

I shared facts as a contrast point of view..I guess that part was tough to swallow.

What I have mostly seen and read is "it's all about New Yorkers" and "driving to Bayonne"...so pot...meet kettle.

I'm glad the NorthEast is getting a Quantum ship ported there - I'd just never go there in a million years myself to cruise from there. It doesn't diminish that others welcome it.

Yet now suddenly having the option to enjoy another (warmer port) option for Anthem is a problem?

Geez.

Already Sailed:

Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:16 PM
First Mate

Quote:
So to make YOUR point, you have to name-call huh?

I said you're "bone headed" as in stubborn. If I called you a name I would have called you a bonehead.

What I have mostly seen and read is "it's all about New Yorkers" and "driving to Bayonne"...so pot...meet kettle.

Huh? Most of the people who have been commenting in favor did not say they are New Yorkers. I am not a New Yorker!!! It's is about driving distance and that is huge. And it's driving distance for almost 60 million people.

I'm glad the NorthEast is getting a Quantum ship ported there -

You sure as hell have been acting like it is!!!!

And don't forget that from April to November and sometimes even December the weather is mild to beautiful!

I shared facts as a contrast point of view

Yeah shared some facts that support the fact that Florida is a great place to cruise from. Nobody disputes that. That's why there are over a 1,000 cruises per winter leaving there. You have yet to show anything that disputes that Bayonne will be a great fit for Quantum. The 60 million people who live in the NE, Canadians and people flying in from other countries may in fact love the idea. You're whole argument hinges on wasted days heading south and cold weather. No day cruising is wasted! As for the cold weather it does not matter to me. I'll enjoy the ship (like I did on Oasis when we encountered Hurricane Sandy) while we head south and then north again.

Yet now suddenly having the option to enjoy another (warmer port) option for Anthem is a problem?

Who said it was a problem!? Why would it be a problem for me??? Every cruise I have ever been on has been from Florida. That doesn't mean I have a problem with other ports getting new ships! That's been your issue.
And don't forget that from April to November the weather is mild to beautiful. And even December can be nice.

Last edited by beachbum13; November 22nd, 2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: PS
Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:45 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
And don't forget that from April to November the weather is mild to beautiful. And even December can be nice.
I travel extensively (have flown and driven more than 2 million miles for example) and enjoy all parts of the country at various times of the year.

Plenty of folks would choose not to go to a Caribbean destination from a cold winter port. Others would. It's great to have choices.

Best wishes to you and your adventures.

Already Sailed:

Old December 17th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I agree. I think that a cruise is a great vacation no matter the departure port, and maybe the extra day at sea will help with the adjustment from cold to warm. I don't mind leaving from New Jersey and I live in a city that has 3 cruise ships currently in town.
Old December 17th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Yeah...how's that workin out for ya now?

Those of us who want to actually go on an Alaskan cruise from Alaska, rather than something similar from New Jersey, will probably enjoy it a lot more. Thank goodness RCI wised up and put Anthem out of Florida.

Already Sailed: