Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old November 16th, 2013, 05:17 PM
beachbum13's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 327
Default Quantum of the Seas new tid-bits....

Quantum of the Seas using Virtual Reality - CruiseGuy.com - YouTube

Royal Caribbean has released a new video on how they are using virtual reality as a tool for engineers and designers to work on Quantum of the Seas throughout its construction process.

Quantum of the Seas progress photo: Blocks stacked
Posted: Thu, 2013-11-14
Royal Caribbean released a new photo of Quantum of the Seas progress today, showing a floor-level shot of the "blocks" that make up the ship being assembled together. On a basic level, cruise ships are assembled by putting together blocks of pre-built units to create the ship's super-structure.

__________________



Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old November 16th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 85
Default

We've lost almost all interest in Quantum once we saw the crummy itineraries offered.

The decision by RCI to sail from Bayonne is a major blunder from our vantage point - having to pay for an extra day to and from the Caribbean each way because of the home port location. Add in the overall extra high cost for cruises on this class ship...and the novelty seems to be waning...

We know of 22 people now who were strongly following and planning to go on Quantum - all of them have cancelled their interest.
__________________


Already Sailed:

Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old November 16th, 2013, 06:31 PM
beachbum13's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 327
Default

Funny because I'm from the North East and many of my friends are excited by the addition of first class ships to the NYC area!!! Both "cruisers" and non cruisers. The cost of flying to Florida and staying over night before the cruise is more than equal to the cost of a couple of extra days cruising. The ship has so much to offer that those two days can and will be used to explore the ship, relax and enjoy all the ship has to offer. And spend quality time with my girlfriend rather than running around airports and checking in and out of hotels. No worries about airline luggage restrictions or plane delays. Many people I know have not gone on cruises cuz they think it's a hassle to have to fly then cruise. Now A friend drops us off and we are on vacation! That quick!!!

As for the expense of cruising??? I just spent a week in Nashville and it was not cheap. (Had a blast) I think cruising offers the biggest bang for the buck!

I will say this I do not see the appeal of a 7 day cruise to the Bahamas. The 11 & 12 day itineraries are awesome. IMO!
__________________



Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old November 16th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Donna's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: on my computer
Posts: 26,433
Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default

I too wonder how full the ship will be, by sailing from NJ?? If I ever have the extra time, I would love to one of these cruises....
__________________

Message Boards Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old November 16th, 2013, 07:16 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

I guess it may be an issue for those who live I Florida, but for people like us who live in Southern Ontario, we can actually drive it in 6 hours. Nice change for us.

I just think it's unfair of those that live in the south to think all ships should sail from Florida. That's a little on the greedy side. They have dozens of ships sailing from Florida. They do have to learn to share the wealth.

I don't mind the itinerary - the longer ones do look more interesting but gee wiz guys - let the rest of us have a new ship for a change.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old November 17th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum13 View Post
The cost of flying to Florida and staying over night before the cruise is more than equal to the cost of a couple of extra days cruising.
That's simply not true. A pre-cruise hotel stay in the Bayonne area costs far more than in Ft. Lauderdale area. Two days on Quantum at sea costs more than 3 days of hotel in Florida.

More important...time at sea is actually nice in general...but there simply is too much time at sea for Quantum to get to and from the better destination locations.

There's no doubt those folks who happen to have some convenience in being located near Bayonne will see some positive light on this....but the rest of the world will see it as added cost, having to pack for BOTH cold and warm weather during peak cruise seasons (Bayonne's not exactly warm in February and March), and wasted time and cost spent getting to and from the Caribbean.

Putting Quantum in Bayonne was purely done because Norwegian chose to put their latest ship there for a year...and RCI wanted a ship there to compete. That's it.
__________________


Already Sailed:

Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2013, 04:01 AM
beachbum13's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISEFAN0001 View Post
That's simply not true. A pre-cruise hotel stay in the Bayonne area costs far more than in Ft. Lauderdale area. Two days on Quantum at sea costs more than 3 days of hotel in Florida.

There's no doubt those folks who happen to have some convenience in being located near Bayonne will see some positive light on this....
It's more than nights in a hotel! Airfare! Between 15 and 20 million people live within 100 miles of NYC. Those people, like me, don't need a hotel they can be dropped off by friends or just leave their car in Bayonne. That's ZERO nights in a hotel & no airfare or shuttle/taxi costs. It also means that instead of eating out we are eating for free on the ship.

The general math,
1 night hotel $175 + airfare $250 + meals $100 = $525
11 nights on Quantum $2,000 = $182 per night x 2 = $364

For argument sake we'll call it a wash. Which it's not. I would rather spend my time on a cruise ship than running around catching flights, taxis, checking in and out of a hotel. I'm already relaxing with my sweater on and a drink in my hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISEFAN0001 View Post

More important...time at sea is actually nice in general...but there simply is too much time at sea for Quantum to get to and from the better destination locations.
Too much time at sea??? Is there such a thing??? I love spending time at sea!!!! No kids, no job & no worries!


Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISEFAN0001 View Post
... but the rest of the world will see it as added cost, having to pack for BOTH cold and warm weather during peak cruise seasons (Bayonne's not exactly warm in February and March), and wasted time and cost spent getting to and from the Caribbean.
As I showed it's not an added cost for the 15 - 20 million of us who live in the area. As for warm clothes, we don't have to pack for an airplane. No cost for an added bag if needed. You have the clothes you wear on the ship and maybe one change. I'll hang my jacket in the closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISEFAN0001 View Post
Putting Quantum in Bayonne was purely done because Norwegian chose to put their latest ship there for a year...and RCI wanted a ship there to compete. That's it
Duh! And Breakaway is doing very well.

And one last point. Not all cruises take place in the summer. For people coming from other parts NYC has a lot to offer guests before and after the cruise.

As somebody else said. God forbid should a nice new ship go somewhere besides Florida!!! Especially to NJ! EWWW!!!
__________________



Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2013, 04:13 AM
ship2shore's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 915
Default

They put a ship there to make money. End of story.
I don't see them lowballing Explorer, (which I have been watching closely, in hopes of the deal that never materialized...) in fact, it's quite the opposite compared to Florida pricing. I'm sailing Epic instead of Explorer due to reduced rates on the former.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------
Norwegian Breakaway 12 Day Caribbean Jan. 18, 2015


So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
They put a ship there to make money. End of story.
Well said.

I still contend that forcing people to go to a cold place (and dress accordingly) to depart on a warm Caribbean cruise is one of the lamest business decisions ever made.

While the NE folks are understandably happy to just hop over to Bayonne out of convenience to them...the rest of the world sees this as what it is...a competitive money-maker for the time being. once the novelty wears off...we'll see how it lasts.

As for the extra time at sea - having to pay for and go on an 11-day cruise to the same destinations when you can enjoy the same thing for much less cost on an 7-day cruise out of Florida is clearly a ripoff.

Enjoy.
__________________


Already Sailed:

Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,397
Default

If I my chime in as an interested party from the west coast. DW and I are sailing on the Quantum because we are very excited about cruising on new ships from RCI. We have done both the Oasis and the Allure so the Quantum was next in line. Having no ships from RCI sailing from the port of Los Angeles we have to fly wherever we depart from. I must admit though I was not very excited about sailing from sub freezing temps. DW and I will fly in the day before, book a hotel and sail on the Quantum for our 11 day cruise. We will pack a set of warm cloths and deal with the cold until we get to the warm weather in the Caribbean. It is what it is and we'll do what we have to do. until RCI decides to put a ship back here in LA we go with the flow.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2013, 12:25 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISEFAN0001 View Post
Well said.

I still contend that forcing people to go to a cold place (and dress accordingly) to depart on a warm Caribbean cruise is one of the lamest business decisions ever made.

No one is forcing anyone to go anywhere. It's a choice. You can stay in Florida and go on anyone of the dozens of ships down there and those of us up north can chose to go on the Quantum. See how easy that is.

While the NE folks are understandably happy to just hop over to Bayonne out of convenience to them...the rest of the world sees this as what it is...a competitive money-maker for the time being. once the novelty wears off...we'll see how it lasts.

It's really the selfishness you are expressing not the desire of those that live in the north. You really want it all don't you. It isn't "the rest of the world". It's you and only you who are sitting in Florida with so many choices and have got your nickers in a knot because you can't have this one too..

As for the extra time at sea - having to pay for and go on an 11-day cruise to the same destinations when you can enjoy the same thing for much less cost on an 7-day cruise out of Florida is clearly a ripoff.


Enjoy.
There is no rip-off. Everyone decides for themselves. Who is holding a gun to your head????????

The ships going out of New Jersey/New York seem to draw a good dollar for cabins therefore they are selling well.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
There is no rip-off. Everyone decides for themselves. Who is holding a gun to your head????????

The ships going out of New Jersey/New York seem to draw a good dollar for cabins therefore they are selling well.
Charging cruisers for 2-4 extra days at sea to compensate for the poor choice of a far-North port location is indeed a ripoff when compared to alternatives.

While no one forces anyone to choose cruises originating from Bayonne - you are correct - the statement "who's forcing anyone" is also a joke in that it is not a compelling statement justifying that business decision.

No one can explain away the consequences of risk with bad weather in Bayonne during months of peak cruise times - jeopardizing weather-related-problem-travel to and from that location - as well as forcing cruisers to pack additional winter clothing purely because of that port location.

Fact is...there are just as many cruisers who will pass on Quantum purely because of its home port location. There are also many who will chose it for the same reason. Choices are good.
__________________


Already Sailed:

Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2013, 04:56 PM
ship2shore's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 915
Default

I fully intend to take a cruise out of NJ or NY in the future. I by no means feel ripped off, rather, I enjoy the convenience of being able to drive there.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------
Norwegian Breakaway 12 Day Caribbean Jan. 18, 2015


So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
I fully intend to take a cruise out of NJ or NY in the future. I by no means feel ripped off, rather, I enjoy the convenience of being able to drive there.
The good thing is everyone can vote their wallet on this issue.

Mine says no way / no how out of Bayonne.
__________________


Already Sailed:

Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2013, 06:09 PM
beachbum13's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISEFAN0001 View Post
Charging cruisers for 2-4 extra days at sea to compensate for the poor choice of a far-North port location is indeed a ripoff when compared to alternatives.
My God you're beating a dead horse!!!
It's A Poor Choice IN YOUR MIND!!! That's YOUR opinion!

I'm the one spending my money and I think it's well worth it!!! Florida needs another cruise ship like NYC needs another taxi!!! As stated earlier in this thread they are doing this to make money. So if Breakaway & Quantum make money it's a GOOD CHOICE!

If someone does not want to sail out of NYC between January and March there are over 200 - 7 day cruises to choose from in Florida!!! Little under 50 on RCL. Plus shorter and longer cruises! In fact there are 1,127 cruises sailing from Florida over those 3 months! Including some of the nicest ships in the world! And you're whining about one ship!

As for having to fly in early because of the possibilty of poor conditions? Welcome to our world!!!! Most people from northern half the country try and fly in a day or two early during the winter because we are affraid we might not be able to get out!

And another thing for the record. I live in NJ, minutes from NYC. It only gets really cold in January. Sometimes December & February for short periods of time. There have been winters that have been exceptions. Now if you're from a warm climate then yes it may seem a little colder to you.

PS - 1yr 13 days till I go on Quantum's first cruise to the Caribbean !!!!
PPS - I was bored so I added smileys !
__________________



Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,397
Default

We did think about poor weather conditions too. We decided that between trip insurance and having RCI book our flight (something we've never done before) we should be ok. So if they book our flight and something happens then we will be covered. I personally don't feel ripped off either. I enjoy sea days just as much as port days. I look at it as another opportunity to be away from home and work and to spend some alone time with my wife. Great choice.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2013, 08:03 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISEFAN0001 View Post
Charging cruisers for 2-4 extra days at sea to compensate for the poor choice of a far-North port location is indeed a ripoff when compared to alternatives.

It absolutely is not. But you are beyond reasoning with.

While no one forces anyone to choose cruises originating from Bayonne - you are correct - the statement "who's forcing anyone" is also a joke in that it is not a compelling statement justifying that business decision.

No one can explain away the consequences of risk with bad weather in Bayonne during months of peak cruise times - jeopardizing weather-related-problem-travel to and from that location - as well as forcing cruisers to pack additional winter clothing purely because of that port location.

There are just as many bad weather risks during hurricane season in the south so your argument holds no water at all.

Fact is...there are just as many cruisers who will pass on Quantum purely because of its home port location. There are also many who will chose it for the same reason. Choices are good.
My goodness, you really are greedy aren't you. You've already been told how many choices you have sitting down there in Florida.

You are so mistaken thinking cruisers there are as many cruisers who pass as not.

You are just really being nasty because this particular ship is not sailing from Florida.

You will be silly and give yourself an ulcer with your complaints. This ship is not sailing from your precious Florida. Get used to it.

Oh, either is it's sister who's main port with be Southampton.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
My goodness, you really are greedy aren't you. You've already been told how many choices you have sitting down there in Florida.
Actually...the greed seems to be coming from New Yorkers who like Quantum primarily because it launches from their backyard.

I'm not in Florida, but can see beyond the fluff and hype to understand it makes far more sense to launch to the Caribbean from a closer starting point. Too bad others are blind to that fact.

Launching a ship from a cold wintery place in the peak cruising season to the Caribbean is pure lunacy.

Then again...we live in a "its all about me" time for many people. That prevents those same people from seeing things more objectively. Oh well...
__________________


Already Sailed:

Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old November 19th, 2013, 12:14 AM
ship2shore's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 915
Default

This "discussion" has slipped into the patently ridiculous. The moment a ship stops making money, the owners will put it elsewhere. While a poster might have the right to spout his regional prejudices, it does not change anything in the bigger picture. Heck, maybe I'll sail Quantum TWICE just for spite.

AAAAND.... Until a majority actually agree with said poster's opinion (a cold day in -someplace warm-, in my exactly equal opinion), nothing really changes, and the world continues to spin.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------
Norwegian Breakaway 12 Day Caribbean Jan. 18, 2015


So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old November 19th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Comet Cruiser's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 394
Default

Hi there,

I just want to add my Canadian view of this "conversation"

We didn't begin cruising until September 2004, and we drove down from Ontario, Canada to Baltimore for our first cruise, we have since been on 9 more cruises.

It is the BEST VACATION EVER for sure, and that is why we continue to cruise. We drove down to Fort Lauderdale this past February to go on the Oasis of the Seas.....an amazing ship to be sure!! It was like a mini vacation for 2 days on the drive down and we loved it. We usually drive to either Baltimore or Bayonne to cruise from and we love both ports. We have left from Bayonne in November, and yes it was a little on the cool side when we left but we were dressed for it and didn't mind it one bit because we knew the warmth wasn't far away and we were on a CRUISE......no laundry, no cooking no cleaning......ahhhhh heaven!!
We have booked the Quantum of the Seas for March 1st 2015, the 12 night from Bayonne and can't wait......yes, it is expensive but booking over a year away gives us a lot of time to save

No matter how cold it is, or where we have to embark from...we don't really care as long as we're on a ship!! It is wonderful that a newer ship is coming closer to us up here in Canada...and I think all of you in the States should count your blessings.....you have a TON of cruiseships to choose from.....whether it's from Florida, or the north east coast...us up here in Canada have..........mmmmmm not so many


Happy Cruising to US ALL, no matter which ship or from where

Gail
Comet Cruiser
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:00 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet Cruiser View Post


Happy Cruising to US ALL, no matter which ship or from where

Gail
Comet Cruiser
I second that emotion.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old November 19th, 2013, 07:04 AM
beachbum13's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 327
Default

Everyone here is offering their opinion. Some of us use fact and logic to support our argument. But NCL & RCL are investing millions and millions of dollars sending their billion ships to the NYC area. They are not doing this on a whim or simply because somebody "thinks" it'll be a good idea. They are doing because it they have done extensive research that indicates they are going to make money. Otherwise it would be stupid for them to take a risk with that kind of money at stake.

Case Closed!!!
__________________



Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old November 19th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet Cruiser View Post
I think all of you in the States should count your blessings.....you have a TON of cruiseships to choose from.....whether it's from Florida, or the north east coast...us up here in Canada have..........mmmmmm not so many
Thanks for the Canadian view!

Of course...you folks are quite used to COLD.

But your points are well taken. Still....given the choice of a warm location port departure and a cold one....warm wins every time.

P.S. The many Canadians we've been with cruising are among the greatest people we've dined with and met on our ships.
__________________


Already Sailed:

Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old November 19th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISEFAN0001 View Post
Thanks for the Canadian view!

Of course...you folks are quite used to COLD.

But your points are well taken. Still....given the choice of a warm location port departure and a cold one....warm wins every time.

.
Driving to the port is a great. I live in Florida and I have driven to the the port for my last few cruises.
If I was still living in the Northeast I would definitely book a cruise on the Quantum. We fly quite often, but it's much easier to drive to a cruise.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old November 19th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Driving to the port is a great. I live in Florida and I have driven to the the port for my last few cruises.
If I was still living in the Northeast I would definitely book a cruise on the Quantum. We fly quite often, but it's much easier to drive to a cruise.
That makes plenty of sense.

My only contention is having to dress and pack winter clothes for a Caribbean cruise (because of a cold home port location) has to be one of the lamest things to do. No ship is worth that.
__________________


Already Sailed:

Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Donna's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: on my computer
Posts: 26,433
Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default

Just one last thought.....When I go on a Caribbean cruise in the winter months in the Midwest, we have to dress warm to get to the airport, and the same on the return trip back home...So, we still need to dress in winter clothes, but once we get down to Florida.....totally different.
__________________

Message Boards Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Just one last thought.....When I go on a Caribbean cruise in the winter months in the Midwest, we have to dress warm to get to the airport, and the same on the return trip back home...So, we still need to dress in winter clothes, but once we get down to Florida.....totally different.
Somebody needs to move to a warmer starting point....
__________________


Already Sailed:

Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old November 19th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISEFAN0001 View Post
Somebody needs to move to a warmer starting point....
I have moved from Connecticut to Florida, but not everyone can do that.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old November 19th, 2013, 06:51 PM
thecruisequeen's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,279
Default

I will be cruising Quantum at some point however would prefer to depart in the spring or summer.

Quantum will do very well as a Jersey girl. Flying has become expensive and a hassle. And there are plenty of cruisers in the Northeast area to keep Quantum full of cruisers...

Explorer does well out of Bayonne and Quantum will do even better.
__________________
CQ's Cruise Resume

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Comet Cruiser's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISEFAN0001 View Post
Thanks for the Canadian view!

Of course...you folks are quite used to COLD.

But your points are well taken. Still....given the choice of a warm location port departure and a cold one....warm wins every time.

P.S. The many Canadians we've been with cruising are among the greatest people we've dined with and met on our ships.

Thanks for the wonderful compliment, that was so nice of you

We are as used to the cold as the folks across the lake from us in Buffalo...being in Canada yes we do get cold weather but not much different as the northern states get, and sometimes Buffalo gets more than we do

We just love cruising...and we don't much care where the ship leaves from....warm, cold....we'll take any of them
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
africa, back, bahama, bring, cloths, cruise, february, images, kind, nj, pm, quantum, seas, south, taxi, taxis, wwwquantam, yard

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quantum of the Seas ~ Rates beachbum13 Royal Caribbean International 11 June 1st, 2013 09:21 AM
Quantum of the Seas announces itineraries for Quantum thru 4/24/2015 beachbum13 Royal Caribbean International 9 May 25th, 2013 09:46 PM
Check Out the New RCCL Quantum of the Seas!!! storybookcruises.com Royal Caribbean International 3 May 20th, 2013 10:28 AM
Quantum of the Seas ~ Itineraries !!!! beachbum13 Royal Caribbean International 6 April 17th, 2013 04:16 PM
‘Project Sunshine’ ships named Quantum of the Seas & Anthem of the Seas beachbum13 Royal Caribbean International 13 March 13th, 2013 11:20 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:10 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1